Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 113697 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1650
I see Landcruiser 70s are going all electric with some 200 on order for use in and around mining sites across Australia.

It won't be long before this filters down into surrounding towns as mining companies start to pop up charging points here and there.

This is sure to cause some gnashing of teeth around the traps!

70 Series Landcruiser EV conversions were available back when I bought my V8 turbo diesel  O:-)  

In fact, I think we had a discussion about a 70 Series EV breaking a dynamometer during testing last year.

Of course, they were priced way out of the ordinary punter's reach and were really only accessible to mining companies and very wealthy pastoralists.

If I remember correctly, the company went off shore after a couple of years, then ended up in partnership with Toyota.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1651
I thought the 70s going all electric was a new development, I think we talked about Toorak tractors in the past.
BHP actually went lighter vehicles like Hilux that would pass safety rating tests, they also pulled bullbars off their vehicles because they were a safety hazard rather than a help.
These Landcruiser conversions must be to drive around Mining sites only I would have thought.....
After being scrapped in the USA after poor sales the Landcruiser is making a return with a turbo powered hybrid which is set to be released in 2024 so I presume that model would also make its way down to Aus which should please Landcruiser fanatics.

Reply #1652
BHP actually went lighter vehicles like Hilux that would pass safety rating tests, they also pulled bullbars off their vehicles because they were a safety hazard rather than a help.
These Landcruiser conversions must be to drive around Mining sites only I would have thought.....
After being scrapped in the USA after poor sales the Landcruiser is making a return with a turbo powered hybrid which is set to be released in 2024 so I presume that model would also make its way down to Aus which should please Landcruiser fanatics.

The 300 Series was never offered for sale in the US because it was considered too expensive for the market but the Lexus LX began appearing in showrooms in 2022.  However, at least one 300 Series has been spotted undergoing testing.  As there's currently an 18 month waiting list for 300 Series, Australian customers won't be happy if production is diverted to the US market.

The 2024 70 Series will continue the turbo diesel 4.5 litre V8 and 5 speed manual transmission combination but there will be an option for a 2.8 litre turbo diesel four cylinder with a six speed automatic transmission.

SEA has a lucrative deal to convert 8500 Landcruisers and Hi-Luxes to EV for the mining industry by 2028 ... and they have bullbars  :)  

I believe there's little or no capacity to accommodate other customers.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1653
I was doing general web searching relating to EVs and came across some interesting figures that really should be front of mind when moving from combustion to 100% EV. While I won't quote hard numbers I will convey the general concept because it at least poses some interesting questions.

The first is the carbon budget in the production of a car, it's often not discussed in the green debate and it seems for a very good reason. While the carbon emissions reduction are valid arguments for EV versus Combustion, it's only viable on the assumption that the carbon budget for the production of the two vehicle variants is equivalent. It turns out this equivalence assumption is grossly wrong and the devil is in the detail.

The issue it seems is the huge number of special or rare materials used in production of EVs just smashes the carbon budget out of the stadium. From "dirt to dump", the carbon deficit for an EV could be as high as 18x that of a combustion car, even conservative assessments put it at greater than 10x.

Now keep in mind, that debates on "emissions" seem to flip context between total emissions and user subject to the perspective of those debating, but in real world only total matters,

This really makes a folly of trading in your perfectly good combustion vehicle for a new EV and claiming you are doing your part for the environment. In the UK a recent study put the break even at 75,000 kilometres using idealised / green energy sources, which are far from normal, apparently using real world sources to charge your vehicle likely means it will never break even with the carbon budget associated with it's full carbon cycle. The report suggested to even get close to that 75,000km break even point for personal EVs the UK needs to start building net zero nuclear power plants at never before seen rates.

All the assumptions are based on people driving the combustion vehicle for at least 50,000km before the upgrade, if you hardly use your combustion vehicle and still upgrade you are probably an environmental vandal!

It gets worse when you realise that the lifecycle of the EV mechanicals far exceed the lifecycle of the EV battery, issues which are nearly always omitted from debates about the best technologies. Some huge percentage of the total carbon budget in the EV is encapsulated in the battery, some claim as much as 50% of total emissions, and the battery has a much shorter life than the bulk of the vehicle.

So to get to your 75,0000km while still having a vehicle with a reasonable range on a full charge, how many batteries will you go through, and does each battery add 37,500km to the break even in the carbon budget?

Now I concede the numbers might be exaggerated, but let's say the battery carbon budget is 25%. I tend to believe the 75,000km, so that's an extra 18,000km for every battery swap. How long do batteries last, well it seems it depends on what you accept as a range on a full charge, but I can't see people operating EVs like they operate their iPhone!

One argument I came across against this doom asserted, but "We are going to recycle batteries", the assertion being a recycled battery has a lower carbon deficit. However, it seems that while recycling saves wasting a limited resource is always more carbon / energy intensive than mining / consuming fresh resources. Hard to imagine, but when you start to think about reverse engineering the encapsulated materials it's pretty much becomes obvious. The issue of recycling it seems is at odds with the priorities of safety and reliability.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1655
China have a problem with owners dumping EV vehicles now the Govt have dropped subsidies etc...
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2023-china-ev-graveyards/
It's interesting @ElwoodBlues1 I've mates in the UK who are furious about the changes there as well.

They invested heavily in EVs as company vehicles on the basis they would be recharging at no cost for life using the M25 supercharge stops, but then the definitions of "for life" and "recharging" seem to have changed.

Now they only can get access to low power slow recharging for free, which means sitting in a freeway hub for 2hrs while your Tesla recharges at a snails pace. If you want to use the superchargers and be gone in 15mins they have to now pay for something they previously got for free! As company vehicles it's obviously untenable to slow charge, and in the meantime all the holiday makers and pensioners fill up the free spots so they have no choice but to pay!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1656
It's interesting @ElwoodBlues1 I've mates in the UK who are furious about the changes there as well.

They invested heavily in EVs as company vehicles on the basis they would be recharging at no cost for life using the M25 supercharge stops, but then the definitions of "for life" and "recharging" seems to have changed.

Now they only can get access to low power slow recharging for free, which means sitting in a freeway hub for 2hrs while your Tesla recharges at a snails pace. If you want to use the superchargers and be gone in 15mins they have to now pay for something they previously got for free! As company vehicles it's obviously untenable to slow charge, and in the meantime all the holiday makers and pensioners fill up the free spots so they have no choice but to pay!
Its like Drug dealers LP...the first hit is free and then you got to pay once they have you hooked. EV's wont be a free hit charging wise everywhere like everyone thinks. I'll give you another tip too...the Vic State Govt want to have every home fully electric to meet net zero emission targets and not just ban new homes from having a gas connection but they dont want to foot the bill. There is talk of a possible $2k-$5k charge to households to make it happen down the line...

Reply #1657
Another EV lithium battery fire:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-12/sydney-airport-lithium-ion-battery-causes-fire/102846146?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

Reply #1658
Also what is not discussed is the cost of a replacement battery for an EV.  A few weeks ago a Porsche Taycan owner in England was concerned he had damaged the underside covering of the battery and queried the price of a replacement battery.

The Porsche dealership quoted him 30,000 pounds sterling!

Reply #1659
For all that electric cars might be the future, they are definitely not for today.
[1] The do not have the performance of a petrol car, although they have improved their acceleration.
[2] They do not have the range of a petrol car. They are only reasonable for use in a city and then only for short to medium drives. Sitting in traffic for hours chews up battery life.
[3] They are far too expensive for the average traveller.
[4] Their repairs are going to be extra expensive for the foreseeable future.
[5] The recharging system is simply inadequate, and at least 2 generations of technology away from being within an order of magnitude of recharging capability of a petrol car.
[6] The infrastructure to support electric cars doesn't exist and is a long ay from being even remotely accessible for mass usage.
[7] Any car parts are far too expensive: a car made from spare parts of close to five times the cost of an ordinary car. But the parts for an electric car are significantly worse. Not only are they hard to come by and ridiculously expensive, but most mechanics and not trained in their usage.
[8] The technology behind the batteries leaves much to be desired. Honestly, the batteries have improved by maybe 2 orders of magnitude, but they are still a long way from being a finished product. people use them because they are the best presently available, not because they are really very good. They will have to improve by at least 2 further degrees of magnitude before they are reliable and safe for the long term.
[9] Electric cars, especially the batteries, use rare earths and Lithium, for which the world has not yet come to terms with. The expensive metals tend not to be reused, nor do they tend to be easily reusable. It means that the rare earths, in particular, are always in short supply. It also causes states like China to get access to these materials whatever the cost, mostly from African nations. It makes the way the Americans and British behaved in the 1st petrol boom look positively pedestrian.

I am really sad to write this, because I'm a huge supporter of high tech. But we have raced into electric cars before the product was fit for mass usage. They won't be ready for mass usage in my lifetime.
I understand that people want to reduce greenhouse gases; it is a good idea to do so. But this technology is not ready.

Sadly, no other technology seems to be ready either. As a SF fanatic, I wanted a Hydrogen powered car when I was a kid, and I wanted one in the 1970's, when oil supplies were no longer as reliable as they once were. The idea of having only water vapour as an exhaust appealed to be greatly.
However, there appears to have been very little research into making a decent Hydrogen powered car. The chemistry is well understood: NASA has been using variations on it for over 70 years. But it is still very much a technology in its infancy.
I also have issues about the way some companies appear to be making their Hydrogen. Converting fossil fuels into Hydrogen may be cheap, but where does the carbon go? The process that I've read about is not without major drawbacks.

Solar panels are a lot cheaper and more efficient these days, but they still don't get better than 15% efficiency (usually a LOT less) and the sun shines directly on them for only a few hours per day. Even so, I had solar cells on my roof when I lived in Bendigo. I would also have invested in a battery if I hadn't moved. It makes sense.
Using solar power on a scale to supply a rapidly growing technological society isn't going to work: human energy usage is increasing exponentially, while supply is not.
I like the idea of Solar Power Satellites, and Australia is placed in the perfect spot to be the main ground station for such a system. Like a dam, all the costs are in the original construction. After that there is minimal maintenance. It does require a space-based industry, but the upsides are phenomenal.
Another way of generating huge gobs of power is something the Japanese are trialling: using the difference in temperature between deep seas water and close to surface water to generate electricity. It is a guaranteed no-polluting system: the effluent is sea water at a middle of the range temperature. This water could be used to farm fish, a much more practical way of getting fish than our present hunting method is. Over-fishing has led to some fish becoming close to extinction: farming the fish you want is a much more sustainable method of production. By letting water of different temperature exist at different spots would allow zones where fish could farmed easily, with the nutrients coming from the ocean floor, where they are presently unavailable for life on this planet.

I have always been a fan of the nuclear option, but fission power is merely a stop-gap until fusion power comes along. Fusion Reactors now make a little more energy than they require, but this technology is probably a century away from being ready for industrial use.

Sorry to rant, but the anti-tech messages I see around today really irritated me more than usual.  Probably because of lack of sleep.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1660
For all that electric cars might be the future, they are definitely not for today.
[1] The do not have the performance of a petrol car, although they have improved their acceleration.
[2] They do not have the range of a petrol car. They are only reasonable for use in a city and then only for short to medium drives. Sitting in traffic for hours chews up battery life.
[3] They are far too expensive for the average traveller.
[4] Their repairs are going to be extra expensive for the foreseeable future.
[5] The recharging system is simply inadequate, and at least 2 generations of technology away from being within an order of magnitude of recharging capability of a petrol car.
[6] The infrastructure to support electric cars doesn't exist and is a long ay from being even remotely accessible for mass usage.
[7] Any car parts are far too expensive: a car made from spare parts of close to five times the cost of an ordinary car. But the parts for an electric car are significantly worse. Not only are they hard to come by and ridiculously expensive, but most mechanics and not trained in their usage.
[8] The technology behind the batteries leaves much to be desired. Honestly, the batteries have improved by maybe 2 orders of magnitude, but they are still a long way from being a finished product. people use them because they are the best presently available, not because they are really very good. They will have to improve by at least 2 further degrees of magnitude before they are reliable and safe for the long term.
[9] Electric cars, especially the batteries, use rare earths and Lithium, for which the world has not yet come to terms with. The expensive metals tend not to be reused, nor do they tend to be easily reusable. It means that the rare earths, in particular, are always in short supply. It also causes states like China to get access to these materials whatever the cost, mostly from African nations. It makes the way the Americans and British behaved in the 1st petrol boom look positively pedestrian.

I am really sad to write this, because I'm a huge supporter of high tech. But we have raced into electric cars before the product was fit for mass usage. They won't be ready for mass usage in my lifetime.
I understand that people want to reduce greenhouse gases; it is a good idea to do so. But this technology is not ready.

Sadly, no other technology seems to be ready either. As a SF fanatic, I wanted a Hydrogen powered car when I was a kid, and I wanted one in the 1970's, when oil supplies were no longer as reliable as they once were. The idea of having only water vapour as an exhaust appealed to be greatly.
However, there appears to have been very little research into making a decent Hydrogen powered car. The chemistry is well understood: NASA has been using variations on it for over 70 years. But it is still very much a technology in its infancy.
I also have issues about the way some companies appear to be making their Hydrogen. Converting fossil fuels into Hydrogen may be cheap, but where does the carbon go? The process that I've read about is not without major drawbacks.

Solar panels are a lot cheaper and more efficient these days, but they still don't get better than 15% efficiency (usually a LOT less) and the sun shines directly on them for only a few hours per day. Even so, I had solar cells on my roof when I lived in Bendigo. I would also have invested in a battery if I hadn't moved. It makes sense.
Using solar power on a scale to supply a rapidly growing technological society isn't going to work: human energy usage is increasing exponentially, while supply is not.
I like the idea of Solar Power Satellites, and Australia is placed in the perfect spot to be the main ground station for such a system. Like a dam, all the costs are in the original construction. After that there is minimal maintenance. It does require a space-based industry, but the upsides are phenomenal.
Another way of generating huge gobs of power is something the Japanese are trialling: using the difference in temperature between deep seas water and close to surface water to generate electricity. It is a guaranteed no-polluting system: the effluent is sea water at a middle of the range temperature. This water could be used to farm fish, a much more practical way of getting fish than our present hunting method is. Over-fishing has led to some fish becoming close to extinction: farming the fish you want is a much more sustainable method of production. By letting water of different temperature exist at different spots would allow zones where fish could farmed easily, with the nutrients coming from the ocean floor, where they are presently unavailable for life on this planet.

I have always been a fan of the nuclear option, but fission power is merely a stop-gap until fusion power comes along. Fusion Reactors now make a little more energy than they require, but this technology is probably a century away from being ready for industrial use.

Sorry to rant, but the anti-tech messages I see around today really irritated me more than usual.  Probably because of lack of sleep.

I dont disagree with much here, but I've seen acceleration on these that are miles ahead of any other car.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1661
I dont disagree with much here, but I've seen acceleration on these that are miles ahead of any other car.

Not only acceleration but torque.  4WD EVs should be far more capable than IC 4WDs and they don't require high and low range transfer cases.  That's a significant weight saving, less moving parts and easier for the driver.

I’m convinced that we have to move away from IC vehicles but I don’t think that EVs are the answer, at least with the technology we have now.

Reply #1662
The problem I have here is that we should be looking at EV, and other technologies, but the concept is being smashed by profiteering, the corporates have sh1t in the pool and are still trying to sell us season passes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1663
Electric vehicles have instant Torque so physics says they have to be quicker initially...ICE's have a longer powertrain which also slows energy transfer.
Teslas model Y's are zero -100kmh in 3.7s, service intervals are also much longer so service costs should be cheaper.