Skip to main content
Topic: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread (Read 44918 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Climate, Environment and Energy Thread

Reply #600
Methane, everywhere I look! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #601
Of course we won't talk about steel production, CO2 emissions, collection, conversion and methanol, something that has been an integral part of the process for nearly 2 decades, an uncomfortable truth for the green lobbyists.

Because as you all know, the reduction of CO2 emissions, collection and conversion of waste gases, and the production of energy from the surpluses, can't be done.

Just ban the bastards, we don't need them, we can all drive EVs made of bamboo, for the life of me I can't work out why I aren't bashing this out on a paper mache keyboard!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #602
If they could get a license, but the political will is not there, lobbyists are too powerful, the engineering and science doesn't really matter.
So when you claimed blue hydrogen production wouldn’t produce methane emissions because the methane would be catalysed into commercially saleable byproducts, you were being a bit disingenuous as you knew the political will isn’t there and the lobbyists are too powerful?

Reply #603
So when you claimed blue hydrogen production wouldn’t produce methane emissions because the methane would be catalysed into commercially saleable by-products, you were being a bit disingenuous as you knew the political will isn’t there and the lobbyists are too powerful?
No not at all, I'll reiterate the point you like to ignore, hydrogen as a by-product of mining is only the start up fuel, the ignition phase for a hydrogen economy. I have no idea why you are so hell bent on selectively spreading fear of some technologies, I'll presume you must have big shares in a competitive technology like solar or wind, as it can't be hydro.

Trying to paint blue, grey, technicolour hydrogen whatever you would like to laughingly label it as the one and only source is the misleading part of this debate. I've stated that before and I'll state it again whenever you make a point that seems to imply otherwise.

Nobody I have talked to in the industry expects hydrogen from methane to ever be more than a very small fraction of the bigger economy. But that doesn't mean methane can't be collected, converted or used for other chemical or energy sources. In fact one way to reduce methane emissions is to do just that, turn it into something of greater value, it's fairly obvious. We will never stop producing methane it's a fundamental by-product of human agriculture, chemical industries, pharmaceuticals, materials processing, etc., etc., in fact a fundamental by-product of life!

Yes, lobbyists are powerful, no matter how stupid they are they have clout, for example some are now try to ban nitrogen, yes that is correct there are lobbyists on the anti-nitrogen bandwagon, it must be very profitable, the band wagon is profitable not the nitrogen because we need to ban that!

Ar5es up, line up for your annual methane emissions check! ;D

I don't think you'll find anyone on the planet who thinks methane or any other chemical leak is OK. But I'm sure you'll find plenty of profiteers on both sides of the debate about leaks or spills and what to do about them.

Leaks and spills are not what would fuel the hydrogen economy, by the very definition of leak or spill!

If we stop the mining of rare-earths because of associated methane emissions, what then happens to those noble plans of growing the SolarPV market to the required 80% level, up from the current 3% level? That is right, the very latest figures from the EU itself on energy suggest total wind and solar is less than 3% of the global energy market, and has to get to 80% to reach net zero carbon! But if you genuinely followed that issue you would know that there was a international conference on this very issue right here in Victoria last week. In fact it was so low profile we didn't even have protestors, they must be still OS on holidays from attending COP, but those environmental bastards like BHP, Shell and Fortescue did attend. Real people, discussing real issues with real solutions, and not just a lot of bureaucratic or lobbyist hot air!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #604
Assume away. As Felix Unger noted, when you ass-u-me, you make an ass out of u and me. Why don’t you buy me a huge tranche of shares just so you can make it so  ;) . Maybe you’ll have to sell off your big stake in the HESC project to do so though:

Japan to spend $2.35bn on turning Victorian Latrobe valley coal into ‘clean hydrogen’, The Guardian.

Critics have previously described the project as “just a new fossil fuel industry” that would see Australia generating greenhouse gas emissions onshore while exporting a cleaner fuel.

Neither of the two carbon storage sites identified by the project are close to being operational, yet are key to the project’s goals of producing cleaner hydrogen.

Stone said the project would bring coal gasification technology from J-Power’s Osaki CoolGen facility to Australia which, he said, was able to capture 90% of CO2 emissions from the process of turning the coal into synthetic gas and then extracting the hydrogen.

Stone said there were still investment decisions and government approvals to be gained, but the project was looking to produce its first hydrogen before the end of the decade.

Capturing and storing the CO2 “has to be part of the project” because without it “we can’t reach the carbon intensities that countries want” from clean hydrogen, Stone said.

The project’s target was to produce hydrogen clean enough to meet emerging benchmarks, he said, such as those of the US government which is providing tax breaks for hydrogen that emits less than 4kg of CO2 for every kilogram of the gas produced.

“We’re doing everything possible to make this as clean as possible. We’re trying to minimise CO2 in all elements of the project. Right now there’s 90 million tonnes of hydrogen being made every year with no abatement at all. That’s about 11.5kg of CO2 for every kilo of hydrogen.”

Captured CO2 would be sent by pipeline, Stone said, with two potential offshore storage facilities in the Bass Strait – Exxon’s Bream field project using depleted oil reservoirs or the Victorian and federal government-backed CarbonNet project. Neither project has been given the go-ahead.

Harada said: “This is a complex project and there is still some way to go in terms of approvals, design, construction and commissioning but this is a major boost for the Victorian economy on its journey towards a clean energy future.”

Dr Fiona Beck, an ANU expert on hydrogen’s role in the low carbon energy transition, said investment in infrastructure to liquefy, store, load and transport hydrogen was “really welcome”.

But she said investment in producing hydrogen from fossil fuels “risks locking us in to using fossil fuels for longer” when costs of producing hydrogen from renewable energy were falling fast.

“There’s a risk of stranded assets in this area,” she said.
Yep, nothing in there about converting methane into useful product or other means of disposing of it. And we have the pie-in-the-sky assumption that CCS will work even though there’s no CCS as yet. But we do note at least 10% of the carbon dioxide will be emitted. And we know damn well that if the scheme is approved, governments won’t allow the failure to make the CCS system operational to derail the project (given that it allows Victoria’s coal resources to be exploited and it’ll provide jobs in the Latrobe Valley). And that’s assuming that the government won’t be locked in by guaranteed contracts/subsidies and/or investments. As the final comment in the quote notes, ‘investment in producing hydrogen from fossil fuels “risks locking us in to using fossil fuels for longer” when costs of producing hydrogen from renewable energy were falling fast … There’s a risk of stranded assets in this area.’

In reality, we’ll just be extending the life of fossil fuels so we can make a product which can be shipped overseas as a clean energy source. We’ll have to hope that Australia or its customers won’t be forced to account for the emissions when climate change obligations tighten.

Reply #605
Yep, nothing in there about converting methane into useful product or other means of disposing of it. 
How dare they fail to talk about a technology that has been around for almost a hundred years as part of an article on new technologies, shocking!

As for the other part of the debate, hydrogen as a form of renewable energy for transport and storage, it's just absurd that someone would waste time developing energy resources from something as scarce as hydrogen, it's not like the universe is made from it! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #606
How dare they fail to talk about a technology that has been around for almost a hundred years as part of an article on new technologies, shocking!
Then why the hell is no one doing it? As you say, it isn’t as though producers that are heavy emitters of methane wouldn’t be aware of a century-old technology.

Reply #607
How green is blue hydrogen?, R.W. Howarth et al, Cornell University:
Abstract
Hydrogen is often viewed as an important energy carrier in a future decarbonized world. Currently, most hydrogen is produced by steam reforming of methane in natural gas (“gray hydrogen”), with high carbon dioxide emissions. Increasingly, many propose using carbon capture and storage to reduce these emissions, producing so-called “blue hydrogen,” frequently promoted as low emissions. We undertake the first effort in a peer-reviewed paper to examine the lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions of blue hydrogen accounting for emissions of both carbon dioxide and unburned fugitive methane. Far from being low carbon, greenhouse gas emissions from the production of blue hydrogen are quite high, particularly due to the release of fugitive methane. For our default assumptions (3.5% emission rate of methane from natural gas and a 20-year global warming potential), total carbon dioxide equivalent emissions for blue hydrogen are only 9%-12% less than for gray hydrogen. While carbon dioxide emissions are lower, fugitive methane emissions for blue hydrogen are higher than for gray hydrogen because of an increased use of natural gas to power the carbon capture. Perhaps surprisingly, the greenhouse gas footprint of blue hydrogen is more than 20% greater than burning natural gas or coal for heat and some 60% greater than burning diesel oil for heat, again with our default assumptions. In a sensitivity analysis in which the methane emission rate from natural gas is reduced to a low value of 1.54%, greenhouse gas emissions from blue hydrogen are still greater than from simply burning natural gas, and are only 18%-25% less than for gray hydrogen. Our analysis assumes that captured carbon dioxide can be stored indefinitely, an optimistic and unproven assumption. Even if true though, the use of blue hydrogen appears difficult to justify on climate grounds.
Wow, that’s quite a take-down 😂

Reply #608
How green is blue hydrogen?, R.W. Howarth et al, Cornell University:Wow, that’s quite a take-down 😂
Do you know what steam reforming actually is?

The paper you cite assumes future hydrogen production comes by steam reforming of methane using natural gas or fossil fuels as the energy source for the process, so they allocate the total carbon emissions from the energy production and the miniscule by-product CO2 from steam reforming as a hydrogen CO2 emission, you have to be guidable to swallow that pill.

Why would any industry pay for energy if SolarPV or Solar Thermal is effective and viable, unless of course you think Solar energy is a mirage and there is a need to use a higher calorific energy source to produce hydrogen. Or unless you plan nuclear and need base load demand such as desalination or hydrogen production to draw down the surplus.

As I have stated, hydrogen production from non-renewable sources is expected to be a very very small percentage of the larger hydrogen economy, there is nothing to fear. Long term the vast bulk of hydrogen will come to market using renewable resources, it'll be a compact, energy dense, transportable source free of carbon emission.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #609
Then why the hell is no one doing it?
Methane capture and conversion is done pretty much everywhere big industry exists, just because you just haven't heard about it doesn't mean it is not being done!

Within a few hours drive of where you are right now there are probably hundreds of sites doing it 24x7. You find it in all sorts of smelters, mills, food processing, energy production, chemical production, agriculture, the crime isn't that it's not being done but that it's not compulsory to do it and that there is no infrastructure to deal with the hydrogen produced.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #610
Again, big emitters like oil and gas companies are sitting on an absolute gold mine! But strangely enough, they flare the methane or, as with the Turkmenistanis, just release it directly into the atmosphere. Something doesn’t add up, does it?

Reply #611
I’m not guidable, or should I say I won’t take you on as my guide.

Is hydrogen really a clean enough fuel to tackle the climate crisis?, The Guardian.

It’s already used for rocket fuel, but it is now being pushed as a clean and safe alternative to oil and gas for heating and earthly modes of transport. Political support is mounting with almost $26bn of US taxpayer money available for hydrogen projects thanks to three recent laws – the Inflation Reduction Act, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Act and the Chips Act. Hydrogen is politically hot, but is it the climate solution that its cheerleaders are claiming?

Why all the hype about hydrogen?
The short answer is that the fossil fuel industry sees hydrogen as a way to keep on drilling and building new infrastructure, and has successfully deployed its PR and lobbying machines over the past few years to get policymakers thinking that hydrogen is a catch-all climate solution. Research by climate scientists (without fossil fuel links) has debunked industry claims that hydrogen should be a major player in our decarbonised future, though hydrogen extracted from water (using renewable energy sources) could – and should – play an important role in replacing the dirtiest hydrogen currently extracted from fossil fuels. It may also have a role in fuelling some transportation like long-haul flights and vintage cars, but the evidence is far from clear. However, with billions of climate action dollars up for grabs in the US alone, expect to see more lobbying, more industry-funded evidence and more hype.

Blue hydrogen is what the fossil fuel industry is most invested in, as it still comes from gas but ostensibly the CO2 would be captured and stored underground. The industry claims to have the technology to capture 80-90% of CO2, but in reality, it’s closer to 12% when every stage of the energy-intensive process is evaluated, according to a peer-reviewed study by scientists at Cornell University published in 2021. For sure better than nothing, but methane emissions, which warm the planet faster than CO2, would actually be higher than for grey hydrogen because of the additional gas needed to power the carbon capture, and likely upstream leakage. Notably, the term clean hydrogen was coined by the fossil fuel industry a few months after the seminal Cornell study found that blue hydrogen has a substantially larger greenhouse gas footprint than burning gas, coal or diesel oil for heating.

What’s at stake?
In addition to $26bn in direct financing for so-called hydrogen hubs and demo projects, another $100bn or so in uncapped tax credits could be paid out over the next few decades, so lots and lots of taxpayers’ money. Fossil fuel companies are also using hydrogen to justify building more pipelines, claiming that this infrastructure can be used for “clean hydrogen” in the future. But hydrogen is a highly flammable and corrosive element, and it would be costly to repurpose oil and gas infrastructure to make it safe for hydrogen. And while hydrogen is not a greenhouse gas, it is not harmless. It aggravates some greenhouse gases, for instance causing methane to stay in the atmosphere for longer.

“This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to invest in actual zero-emission solutions, but could be a disaster if the federal government pours scarce resources into infrastructure and technologies that could make the climate crisis worse and cause further public health harms,” said Sara Gersen, clean energy attorney at Earthjustice. “Sowing confusion about hydrogen is a delay tactic, and delay is the new denialism.”

Is there any role for hydrogen in a decarbonised future?
Yes, but a limited one – given that it takes more energy to produce, store and transport hydrogen than it provides when converted into useful energy, so using anything but new renewable sources (true green hydrogen) will require burning more fossil fuels.

According to the hydrogen merit ladder devised by Michael Liebreich, host of the Cleaning Up podcast, swapping clean hydrogen for the fossil fuel-based grey and brown stuff currently used for synthetic fertilisers, petrochemicals and steel is a no-brainer. The carbon footprint of global hydrogen production today is equivalent to Germany’s annual greenhouse gas emissions, so the sooner we swap to green hydrogen (created from new renewables) the better. This could also be useful for some transportation, such as long-haul flights and heavy machinery, and maybe to store surplus wind and solar energy – though none are slam dunks for hydrogen as there are alternative technologies vying for these markets, said Liebreich.

But for most forms of transport (cars, bikes, buses and trains) and heating there are already safer, cleaner and cheaper technologies such as battery-run electric vehicles and heat pumps, so there’s little or no merit in investing time or money with hydrogen. Howarth said: “Renewable electricity is a scarce resource. Direct electrification and batteries offer so much more, and much more quickly. It’s a huge distraction and waste of resources to even be talking about heating homes and passenger vehicles with hydrogen.”

Looks like the fossil fuel industry will get its teeth into clean energy funding one way or the other in the US and here with the Latrobe Valley blue hydrogen plant. The fossil fuel industry is like a vampire - unless you put a stake through its heart, it’ll survive any attempt to limit climate change. Just as the cigarette companies moved seamlessly to vapes.

Reply #612
I’m not guidable, or should I say I won’t take you on as my guide.

Is hydrogen really a clean enough fuel to tackle the climate crisis?, The Guardian.

Looks like the fossil fuel industry will get its teeth into clean energy funding one way or the other in the US and here with the Latrobe Valley blue hydrogen plant. The fossil fuel industry is like a vampire - unless you put a stake through its heart, it’ll survive any attempt to limit climate change. Just as the cigarette companies moved seamlessly to vapes.

Not unlike the nicotine delivery industry. Once they couldn't advertise any longer, and the durries fell out of favour, they went into the patches, vapes, gum, oral spray and lozenge nicotine delivery industries. (the number of folks addicted to the 'cures' is pretty outrageous).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #613
Again, big emitters like oil and gas companies are sitting on an absolute gold mine! But strangely enough, they flare the methane or, as with the Turkmenistanis, just release it directly into the atmosphere. Something doesn’t add up, does it?
You are confusing an engineering / science issue with an issue of politics, economic and law.

If climate change is a genuine issue, then why do the percentage efficiencies matter to you so much you oppose all better technologies, an emission cut is an emission cut isn't it?

What is the obsession with backing one solution?

btw., The latest science from those institutes you like to quote has an updated version of climate change, why aren't you quoting that, is it because they are saying your SolarPV is no longer enough? Cornell, Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, they recently started sprouting a need for nuclear(fusion or fission), because they now claim emissions must be negative, in fact they have put negative emissions policies in place for their own operations..

Business, especially big business, doesn't just setup and do what it likes, it has to be issued licences and permits. The example I gave about ethanol shows just how restrictive and myopic bureaucracy can be, even when there are immediate solutions to massively reduce a waste the bureaucracy opts for the status quo under pressure from a minority that spreads fear.

You can look over there if you want, we all can, but it's just more of the same!

Why is that minority spreading fear, the major opposition to many projects is not generated because they are infeasible, but fundamentally because they are a feasible alternative to something else, because it's fundamentally a battle for fund$ not a battle of technology.

The renewables sector needs politicians to keep thinking there are no alternatives or else the subsidies will dry up and the true cost of renewables will be exposed to the general public slowing uptake. They are frantic to find a non-rare earth alternative to continue SolarPV uptake, because if they fail they know the politicians will turn to technologies they fear like hydrogen and nuclear. But institutes like Harvard and Cornell are starting to question the viability of SolarPV, simply because of resource issues, it turns out that if you really do the sums on what is required to SolarPV to 80% market saturation there simply isn't enough rare materials easily accessible in the earth crust to do it at a viable cost level.

Some engineers and scientists are even touting nuclear connected to desalination plants as a alternative source, producing many of the rare materials as a by-products. To most involved in the industry this is a der Fred moment, but it would be political poison for the industry if it came out and stated it has a dependency of nuclear to reach it's targets. You will even find half-baked ideas to autonomously mine the seabed for mineral precipitates, this is primarily to meet a demand driven by SolarPV and Wind turbine production, worrying about the damage some existing imperfect process causes seems fairly trivial, and opposing improvements in those process is outright sponsoring environmental vandalism! :o

I was involved in a project a few years ago that developed some new materials processing techniques, that were designed to be sustainable from the ground up. The process eliminated every type of industrial waste from a certain industrial process, was cheaper to run, and made zero use of rare resources. Yet it failed, not because it didn't work, but because in the EU political funds to oppose change were almost 1000% higher than those allocated for the development of technology. It failed because lawyers made themselves richer out of opposing change than adopting it, leeching off a EU$120M annual fighting fund designed to "preserve EU jobs" in Eastern block countries. It seems that even in the woke EU pollution is OK as long as it is NIMBY, the same as here it seems.

Just like with COVID, when the moment there were viable treatments or vaccines available, the politicians blinked and the government funding dried up, the public had to pay directly. The same might happen to SolarPV, and that is the founding fear of much of the opposition to all the other solutions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #614
I’m all for more information about the latest scientific opinions about renewables but please link or quote rather than just giving a broad brush summary that always seems to be a bit self-serving. By the way, the study from Cornell was from 2021 but the lead author was quoted in The Guardian article which is fresh as a daisy. And yet his views don’t evidence the shift you suggest.

I’m sure you’ve given us your honest opinion about what stopped the project in which you were involved. But it seems to me that you aren’t great at providing a dispassionate analysis of the business case of projects. You have a cockeyed optimism that any weakness in a project can be overcome if only science is left alone to do its thing and the economic issues can be ignored. Yet reality has a way of hitting people in the face. I still can’t understand why you just wave your hand when oil and gas producers act contrary to your assurance that methane is a gold mine. They just burn it or release it. But apparently producers of blue hydrogen will be stunned by their good fortune and exploit methane byproducts to the hilt. Yes, there are those who think they can make Turquoise Hydrogen a thing, but it’s yet to be proved at scale (and the real world effect on the markets for those byproducts has yet to be seen). But why wouldn’t that be trumpeted far and wide by this Latrobe Valley project if that were even in contemplation? Imagine the favourable press you’d get boasting of turning methane into gold …

In your world, there’s only 1 type of conspiracy at play here. Apparently, bureaucrats, lawyers and economists are being pressured into blocking brilliant projects that use coal and the like by those nasty and all-powerful greenies. Won’t anyone help the poor fossil fuel industry when it just wants to work for the common good? Fear not, the fossil fuel industry is the one with the clout here, not the greenies. They pretty much have the conservative parties in the US and here on their payroll. And playing the victim is so on trend for conservatives even when they are the ones who have the power. And let’s face it - they have deep pockets and can pressure governments with almost unlimited advertising budgets (especially around elections) and lobbying efforts.

But you are right when you note there’s a battle for funding. The fossil fuel industry can crowd out green solutions if its “clean” solutions can suck in government funding. That’s especially so in Victoria as we have coal to exploit and a regional area that was dependent on coal-fired power. Once the government gets behind blue hydrogen, the die is cast as the infrastructure will be built around where the coal is rather than where the water is that green hydrogen production requires.

But we come back to the central weakness in the business case for blue hydrogen. How does it make sense to provide vast quantities of power to that industry just so it can produce a much smaller amount of power for largely overseas users? The energy loss involved in the process is staggering. It’s also bizarre that we would produce green electricity so we can avoid generating emissions only to use it to produce a lesser amount of power while releasing greenhouse emissions. And as the Cornell study showed, even if only green electricity is used in the process the emissions generated would be larger than if we just kept on using coal and petrol as we are now. That’s ripe for satire. If only the writers behind Yes, Minister were still around.