Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87787 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #856
The Indians bowled too short.  It will be interesting to see whether they correct that after tea.  If not, we should build a handy lead.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #857
Indian batting was dodgy....running at Kuhnemann, wtf!?! Chuck in cooked pitches and dodgy umpiring, nothing ever changes.

And they had the temerity to try to cook it over here, wouldn't play an early season game at the Gabba and avoided the WaCA.

Too much influence and it can only be good for cricket if this comes back to bite them.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #858
Aussies dropping like flies in the space of 3-4 overs. 8-196
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #859
Aussies dropping like flies in the space of 3-4 overs. 8-196
These pitches are a disgrace, the other test nations need to get together and do something about India and
the outrageous advantages they create for themselves at home.
If we produced corrugated green tops at home everytime India toured you would never hear the end of it and they would probably go home....

Reply #860
Good.

Reply #861
These pitches are a disgrace, the other test nations need to get together and do something about India and
the outrageous advantages they create for themselves at home.
If we produced corrugated green tops at home everytime India toured you would never hear the end of it and they would probably go home....
EB educate me, was that collapse the pitch? If so how? I was watching and Green and Handscomb were looking solid. They looked like they were digging in and were selecting the right balls to score off. Then all of a sudden it was like dominos. If I'm correct did India bring on a quick and it all changed?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #862
Interesting new tactic which is obviously only relevant when the keeper is keeping up at the stumps when the spinners are bowling. If the keeper thinks the batsman nicked a catch to him or was trapped LBW, take off the bails and claim a stumping. The umpire at square leg will send it upstairs if the batsman was playing forward to check if the back foot lifted. Then on the review, they check firstly for caught behind or LBW before checking for the stumping. Even if the eventual decision is not out, the fielding side doesn’t lose a challenge. Of course, if the umpire at square leg turns down the appeal for stumping without sending it upstairs, the fielding captain can challenge.

Not a bad little lurk. If I were a Test cricket coach, I’d be telling my keeper he has to take the bails if there’s any chance of an LBW or caught behind and appeal even if there’s no doubt the batsman kept his foot behind the line.

I would have thought the 3rd umpire should only decide the stumping. If there was no stumping, he should tell the square leg umpire to say not out. But if the batsman was stumped and it wasn’t a no ball then check for caught or LBW as they would take precedence.

Reply #863
EB educate me, was that collapse the pitch? If so how? I was watching and Green and Handscomb were looking solid. They looked like they were digging in and were selecting the right balls to score off. Then all of a sudden it was like dominos. If I'm correct did India bring on a quick and it all changed?
Umesh came on and got three wickets which were lbw's and bowled where the ball kept low imo, yes the batting has been inept but this wicket has been the worst of the three so far . India have failed again in the 2nd innings with Lyon taking five wickets......India's batting has been cavalier and loose probably because they dont give a feck having secured the trophy but Lyon has been helped by the wicket turning abruptly and so early in the match.
Sharma has called for the 4th test to be a green top so India can practice for the test cricket final????? so they really dont care about results now and are just using us for practice.
Curators should be preparing what is the best wicket they can, not being told by the home team captain what to do to suit his teams upcoming agenda. India do this every home series and create an over whelming advantage and thats my problem with them.
The ICC are manipulated by India being the money machine of world cricket and its ruining the game....test cricket is on the way out thanks to India and no one will take it seriously with pitches and score lines like we are seeing.
Its funny how the IPL wickets are TV postcard perfect flat wickets with just a hint of a green......so its not lack of quality curators, weather or equipment, just pure intent to create a unfair advantage in the test matches.

Reply #864
Interesting new tactic which is obviously only relevant when the keeper is keeping up at the stumps when the spinners are bowling. If the keeper thinks the batsman nicked a catch to him or was trapped LBW, take off the bails and claim a stumping. The umpire at square leg will send it upstairs if the batsman was playing forward to check if the back foot lifted. Then on the review, they check firstly for caught behind or LBW before checking for the stumping. Even if the eventual decision is not out, the fielding side doesn’t lose a challenge. Of course, if the umpire at square leg turns down the appeal for stumping without sending it upstairs, the fielding captain can challenge.

Not a bad little lurk. If I were a Test cricket coach, I’d be telling my keeper he has to take the bails if there’s any chance of an LBW or caught behind and appeal even if there’s no doubt the batsman kept his foot behind the line.

I would have thought the 3rd umpire should only decide the stumping. If there was no stumping, he should tell the square leg umpire to say not out. But if the batsman was stumped and it wasn’t a no ball then check for caught or LBW as they would take precedence.
Yep its a loophole in the referral system and the smart captains and keepers use it well...New Zealand are very good with Tom Blundell their keeper always taking the bails off and making ridiculous appeals to get it sent via the umpies for review.

Reply #865
76 to get for the win, will be interesting.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #866
It will be a tiight finish.

Meanwhile in South Africa, SA made 342 first innings.  The next 25 wickets have fallen for 361.  (I don't care, just an observation!)

Reply #867
It will be a tiight finish.

Meanwhile in South Africa, SA made 342 first innings.  The next 25 wickets have fallen for 361.  (I don't care, just an observation!)

Been watching a bit of the SA/Windies game, Saffies are tougher at home with that pace attack and both teams have rubbish batting lineups so Im not surprised to see the wickets tumbling. Its a shame South Africa have prioritized the shorter formats for the future and are playing less test cricket as they have a lot of talent in their domestic comp and kids coming through.

Reply #868

Ravi Shastri provided an interesting insight on the first day.  He said that batsmen need to focus on protecting their wicket for 20 minutes.  If they can do that, they will know what the ball/pitch is doing and should be able to build a score. Shastri is well qualified to talk about batting on crappy pitches.

Presumably, the process would have to start again if the attack changes from spin to pace.

Our batsmen seem unable to face an over without playing a rash shot.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #869
Shastri is a lot of the problem.  On one hand plays the mediator and statesman, while the other hand is doing what behind the scenes?