Skip to main content
Topic: The classic/fave car thread (Read 13681 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The classic/fave car thread

Reply #15
Hey, what about the Datsun Sunny.  :)
My BIL had one, auto. Slow as a wet week but indestructible.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
LDV utes.... we have all seen them, look the part, got all the toys, and much cheaper...too good to be true, you bet.
Young bloke in Queensland buys a T60 4 x4 LDV crap box thinking all is good and takes it down the surf club where he works
and parks it in the car park for a year or two and then finds its started rusting...$49ks worth of rust in fact to fix.
LDV say its because he parked it every day in an area with high salt content, they wont pay under warranty......gets to court and LDV's defense do their thing about salt and the beach etc. Problem for LDV was that all their brochures and advertising depicted the vehicle driving up and down beaches, through streams etc and the Judge ruled in favour of the young bloke and said the LDV's were of poor quality build/materials etc.
If you want to buy cheap Chinese crap cars then beware but if you do, remember consumer law trumps car warranties and thats with any cars. I wouldnt buy anything connected to the SAIC motor group(Shanghai Automobile)  including those MG electric vehicles that have been aggressively marketed in Australia. A couple of years time you will be able to pick those up for next to nothing IMHO when they start failing and their resale value will be peanuts.

Reply #17

I'll go against the flow a bit and put in 'one for the small economical car. It's really what you look for in a car...and I've never needed more than something to get me from A to B, and the shops, so all my cars have been small/medium ones

Currently a Toyota Yaris.
Daihatsu Charade before that.
...and a couple of Corollas.
All very economical.

Each one, before the current one went the 300,000km and the Yaris is well on the way (around 100,000)
Never, ever broken down, a few strange noises from one of the Corollas, at one stage that took a bit of fixing but I've never spent more than a $1000 at any one time on repairs. Luck plays a part in that no doubt.

The downside is the space for long trips. I used to do the Sydney/Wollongong to Adelaide trip on about an annual basis. Now it's Brisbane to Wollongong (whenever). Packing needed to be a bit conservative.

I understand the need for some families to have the larger 'people mover' type vehicles but it frustrates me sometimes how poor many of them are at handling them.

Reply #18
I'll go against the flow a bit and put in 'one for the small economical car. It's really what you look for in a car...and I've never needed more than something to get me from A to B, and the shops, so all my cars have been small/medium ones

Currently a Toyota Yaris.
Daihatsu Charade before that.
...and a couple of Corollas.
All very economical.

Each one, before the current one went the 300,000km and the Yaris is well on the way (around 100,000)
Never, ever broken down, a few strange noises from one of the Corollas, at one stage that took a bit of fixing but I've never spent more than a $1000 at any one time on repairs. Luck plays a part in that no doubt.

The downside is the space for long trips. I used to do the Sydney/Wollongong to Adelaide trip on about an annual basis. Now it's Brisbane to Wollongong (whenever). Packing needed to be a bit conservative.

I understand the need for some families to have the larger 'people mover' type vehicles but it frustrates me sometimes how poor many of them are at handling them.
Nothing wrong with a small car especially a Corolla, ultra reliable and always with good resale value.
Couldn't agree more on the large SUV people movers either and the dual cab ute obsession.
Half the owners can't drive them especially the big SUV's and you can forget backing them in to tight spots...takes some about ten attempts.
Turning wide is another gripe, they turn into the oncoming lane in carparks so others have to learn to stop short of the corner to allow them turning room. I just naturally do it now and assume they will make the turn wide. Our new Neighbors have a new lost in space chariot and cannot back down the driveway from their hotel like home and have managed to damage the new vehicle as well as destroy part of their garden and create some new borders.
I'm old fashioned and when I park on slopes or hills I always have the wheels angled into the curb slightly so if the car rolled, handbrake failed etc the car won't run down the road and damage other cars or hit someone.
I hardly ever see anyone else park that way I was taught, a lot of people now can't jack a car up safely and change a wheel. Same with jump starting a car safely too, just no idea half the folk these days.

Reply #19
Nothing wrong with a small car especially a Corolla, ultra reliable and always with good resale value.
Couldn't agree more on the large SUV people movers either and the dual cab ute obsession.
Half the owners can't drive them especially the big SUV's and you can forget backing them in to tight spots...takes some about ten attempts.
Turning wide is another gripe, they turn into the oncoming lane in carparks so others have to learn to stop short of the corner to allow them turning room. I just naturally do it now and assume they will make the turn wide. Our new Neighbors have a new lost in space chariot and cannot back down the driveway from their hotel like home and have managed to damage the new vehicle as well as destroy part of their garden and create some new borders.
I'm old fashioned and when I park on slopes or hills I always have the wheels angled into the curb slightly so if the car rolled, handbrake failed etc the car won't run down the road and damage other cars or hit someone.
I hardly ever see anyone else park that way I was taught, a lot of people now can't jack a car up safely and change a wheel. Same with jump starting a car safely too, just no idea half the folk these days.

Yeah, but they know how to boot it with their right foot…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #20
yep on this topic, can I just say, that I have a Ford Mondeo which is a mid sized hatchback (2008).  Ive just rounded 220000 clicks.  Its a diesel.  it has good size (I can fit more in my boot than my wifes Nissan Xtrail) its a comfortable drive, its small enough to fit anywhere, and has a decent amount of pulling power.  It isn't what I would call zippy (Diesel just seems to have this lag putting the power to the road) but its cheap to run.  Ive had a few what I would call minor issues.  One to do with a cracked air intake manifold, and the other to do with the air flow meter.  Beyond that, it has been reliable enough.  Those 2 issues both in the last 3 odd years. 

Knock on wood, this car will get to 2028, but there is a LONG way to go before we get there.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
A fave car in the Toyota Land Cruiser is now kaput in the USA and being replaced with a nice pretty Lexus Toorak tractor version called the LX instead. Appears the Land Cruiser sales are down due to the price being so high in such a competitive area and no more will be produced for the USA market after 2021. In Aus we love them and from what I read have the highest sales in the world. In 2020 we bought 15000 units here in Aus and the USA numbers were a bit over 3000 units.
So while I think Toyota will continue to supply to Australia for a little bit longer I wouldnt be expecting much change on the design front and they will be harder to obtain .
What are the best selling US SUV's in 2021.......the RAV4 , with 221,000 units(sales surged with the elec versions) and the Honda CRV with 213,000 units...the Toyota Highlander which we know as a Kluger comes in fourth@144,000 units.
 My fav deathtrap car the Jeep Jalopy Wrangler came in No 6 and for those interested in the best selling SUV of all time in the USA its not a Toyota, Jeep or a Chevy...its the Ford Escape which was the No 7 in 2021.
Seems Ford in the USA is a lot to different to the crap box company called Ford selling cars in Oz.

Reply #22
A fave car in the Toyota Land Cruiser is now kaput in the USA and being replaced with a nice pretty Lexus Toorak tractor version called the LX instead. Appears the Land Cruiser sales are down due to the price being so high in such a competitive area and no more will be produced for the USA market after 2021. In Aus we love them and from what I read have the highest sales in the world. In 2020 we bought 15000 units here in Aus and the USA numbers were a bit over 3000 units.
So while I think Toyota will continue to supply to Australia for a little bit longer I wouldnt be expecting much change on the design front and they will be harder to obtain .
What are the best selling US SUV's in 2021.......the RAV4 , with 221,000 units(sales surged with the elec versions) and the Honda CRV with 213,000 units...the Toyota Highlander which we know as a Kluger comes in fourth@144,000 units.
 My fav deathtrap car the Jeep Jalopy Wrangler came in No 6 and for those interested in the best selling SUV of all time in the USA its not a Toyota, Jeep or a Chevy...its the Ford Escape which was the No 7 in 2021.
Seems Ford in the USA is a lot to different to the crap box company called Ford selling cars in Oz.

I've never understood the landcruiser obsession. They are noisy AF driving around on the freeway or around the local streets......from INSIDE the cab.
But....they are about the only car of its type that increases in value because of its off-road abilities....even though plenty never see a patch of mud.

re turning circles, having owned a hilux i now know what its like to try and turn the titanic. Not made for shopping centres.

The highest selling ute is now a ranger, but i think that's mainly because its the most common company car.
Hilux is not far behind.
Triton is sneaking up on both.....which i bought about 6 months ago. 10k cheaper, better turning circle and 10 year warranty for a relatively bullet proof ute was good enough for me.

Reply #23
I've never understood the landcruiser obsession. They are noisy AF driving around on the freeway or around the local streets......from INSIDE the cab.
But....they are about the only car of its type that increases in value because of its off-road abilities....even though plenty never see a patch of mud.

re turning circles, having owned a hilux i now know what its like to try and turn the titanic. Not made for shopping centres.

The highest selling ute is now a ranger, but i think that's mainly because its the most common company car.
Hilux is not far behind.
Triton is sneaking up on both.....which i bought about 6 months ago. 10k cheaper, better turning circle and 10 year warranty for a relatively bullet proof ute was good enough for me.
You want obsession and cars that increase with value....try the Suzuki Jimny. Its a cult mini 4wd off roader that retails for about 28-32k but you can sell them for about 40k as soon as you buy them as they are hard to get and you have to order ahead, think its the black that are very hard to get.
There is plenty of money in aftermarket accessories for the Jimny too, the ones that are fully pimped are in high demand and I was amazed at how much business there is in Jimny spares etc.
I'm not an off roader but I believe the Jimny doesnt do a bad job given its size and like I said they are a cult car with the most obsessed owners.

Reply #24

I like my Fords.  The current SUV range (Everest, Endura and Escape) switched from the euro manufactured versions to one built in Canada. 

They all look quite nice.  I suspect the Americans have allegiance with Ford because its "their" car. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
Honda have gone down the same path as  Mercedes and adopted the agent model to sell their cars.
Before dealers would buy their cars off head office and then flog them to customers, the dealers owned the cars and it gave them flexibility to set a price and compete with other dealers. Now the Honda and Merc dealers get the cars from head office and sell them for a fixed price and get a set fee from the company. The company own the cars until sold not the dealer so no more haggling for a price with these two companies, no matter where you buy a Honda or Merc in Aus you will pay a set price. They say it benefits the customer knowing they wont be ripped off by a dealer charging more than others. I call BS on that and Honda sales figures have crashed, I can see them pulling out of Aus as they have also culled their range.Meanwhile Toyota have decided to charge customers a subscription for any remote start cars bought after 2018. So if you use the remote start on your key fob for your vehicle and those useless apps that come with it you will be paying $8-10 a month for the privilege.
What a rip off after initially selling the vehicles with that feature and no cost attached, just another way to make money out of customers.

Reply #27
Driving a rental hybrid corolla around NSW at the moment.  Its a very nice ride and quite gutsy for a little car.  I understand why this might be the future.  We haven't gone far, but its barely moved the fuel needle 200km later.

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
Driving a rental hybrid corolla around NSW at the moment.  Its a very nice ride and quite gutsy for a little car.  I understand why this might be the future.  We haven't gone far, but its barely moved the fuel needle 200km later.
I had an old Holden like that, 450km from the top 1/2 of the tank and 50km from the bottom 1/2… 😎
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #29
Rumors Toyota have boned their customers with a up to $3000-4000 price rise on pre-ordered cars and its across the range with the Sahara being the most expensive rise. Inflationary pressures/covid etc are meant to be the reasoning, sounds like complete BS to me. You would think the price you discussed and fixed on the showroom floor would be fixed but those bean counters from Japan obviously feel inflation outweighs good business ethics.