Skip to main content
Topic: Parenting & Discipline (Read 42927 times) previous topic - next topic

Parenting & Discipline

If he was sooky and petulant, he obviously learned from the master.

Re: Laidler gone according to HUN

Reply #1
In my day if you were sooky and petulant, it got sorted out pretty quickly by a few belts around the ears.  ;D

THAT's the 'Leading Teams' I remember.  ;D

Reply #2
Yep . In the good old 60s you wouldn't be game to whinge , or you would be damn soon sorted out .

They've got a bit too " precious " these days .
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #3
In my day if you were sooky and petulant, it got sorted out pretty quickly by a few belts around the ears.  ;D

So you got a few did you Gozza.... I didn't get any. :D

Reply #4
Kids are well trained in tactics to deal with bullying, and what you describe as the old ways is now nothing more than bullying. It doesn't work with young men anymore, they are too well educated and socially connected.

Anyone thinking they can go down that path will quickly find themselves redundant like Pagan!

There is no respect earned through abuse!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5

So you got a few did you Gozza.... I didn't get any. :D

Yes, and it shows.  ;D :P

With a name like Bratblue perhaps there should have been a couple!!!  :))

Reply #6
Kids are well trained in tactics to deal with bullying, and what you describe as the old ways is now nothing more than bullying. It doesn't work with young men anymore, they are too well educated and socially connected.

Anyone thinking they can go down that path will quickly find themselves redundant like Pagan!

I wonder if Barass or Lethal used to give a few out.  ;D

Reply #7

Read this. http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life/swedens-liberal-parents-spoil-children-rotten-20131102-2wtjy.html

Have a wee think about it and tell me why social engineering isn't to blame, along with the warped media, in screwing up today's youth. I can guarantee you that my kids are one of the best behaved, well mannered and happiest out of all their friends. Why? Because they have boundaries that are non negotiable, they know to behave, they get rewarded for doing tasks around the house. If they cross the line they punished and yes..I have belted my kids and will continue to do so. Has to be done. The threat alone keeps them in toe now 99% of the time. The bastard who thought that parents should negotiate with immature minds should be put on trial.

The best line in that Article is that a family is not a democracy. Brilliant. Between my wife and I, those kids have respect and if that is tinged with fear..they'll thank me later when they see their friends treat their parents like crap and shake their own heads. Friends to my kids, yes, but Dad first.
Keep the Faith

Reply #8

Read this. http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life/swedens-liberal-parents-spoil-children-rotten-20131102-2wtjy.html

Have a wee think about it and tell me why social engineering isn't to blame, along with the warped media, in screwing up today's youth. I can guarantee you that my kids are one of the best behaved, well mannered and happiest out of all their friends. Why? Because they have boundaries that are non negotiable, they know to behave, they get rewarded for doing tasks around the house. If they cross the line they punished and yes..I have belted my kids and will continue to do so. Has to be done. The threat alone keeps them in toe now 99% of the time. The bastard who thought that parents should negotiate with immature minds should be put on trial.

The best line in that Article is that a family is not a democracy. Brilliant. Between my wife and I, those kids have respect and if that is tinged with fear..they'll thank me later when they see their friends treat their parents like crap and shake their own heads. Friends to my kids, yes, but Dad first.

Woodstock that is a top post, awesome, totally agree !!!!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #9
I have an apprentice employed to me who has been a complete pain in the arse during his first year. Three warnings from the General manager have been followed by a last chance revelation from me have suddenly turned this kid into one of my greatest assets. His talent was always there, but attitude was a major stumbling block and that's indicative of the current crop of young people entering the work force I'm afraid.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #10

BANG! Right there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11

Genuinely shocked, and disappointed at what I just read.

There is a plethora of anecdotal evidence to support both arguments - to spank or not to spank. This issue is far greater and way more important than anecdotal stories.

But if you want anecdotal, then I will meet your anecdotal and raise you an anecdotal… I have 2 daughters who were never spanked, which to me, if I had, would have been physical abuse. Today, they are both terrific 'citizens'. They were both set strong and clear boundaries... enforced by voice, example and non-negotiable rewards and punishments (never physical. Boundaries is the key).

A child’s body (indeed, all people), is sacrosanct.

Too many of us are the parents that our parents were. Well, not here. My sister, brother and I were disciplined in the good old Catholic way... spare the rod and spoil the child. Watching my sister, deeply distressed, at age 14, whilst my father 'spanked' her was traumatic. She learned nothing from his 'hiding'... other than shame. Yes, I know, anecdotal… but I know what his hidings did to my sister (and me).

For any human being to believe that striking another person is good for them; will help them, is obscene and ridiculous. The only thing violence teaches is that violence will get you what you want by force... and that lesson is all around us and contributes significantly to so many social issues.

Please do not confuse my comments with some flowery 60s or Swedish understanding that kids should be regarded as adult and given no discipline and just allowed to develop and grow on their own – rubbish. Boundaries are the key, but how you enforce these boundaries says more about you than your kids – if you need to resort to violence (hitting) to get obedience, then you have failed. You are the adult. You have the big brain. Use it.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #12

For any human being to believe that striking another person is good for them; will help them, is obscene and ridiculous. The only thing violence teaches is that violence will get you what you want by force... and that lesson is all around us and contributes significantly to so many social issues.

Disagree. 

Nothing sorts things out quicker. Generally the times I've done it...the people causing the problems have farked off very quickly and no more trouble. 

Or perhaps I need some aversion therapy to violence like young Alex.  ;D

So, if I beat you to stop you drinking, you will stop (drinking)?

Reply #13

There is a plethora of anecdotal evidence to support both arguments - to spank or not to spank. This issue is far greater and way more important than anecdotal stories.

But if you want anecdotal, then I will meet your anecdotal and raise you an anecdotal… I have 2 daughters who were never spanked, which to me, if I had, would have been physical abuse. Today, they are both terrific 'citizens'. They were both set strong and clear boundaries... enforced by voice, example and non-negotiable rewards and punishments (never physical. Boundaries is the key).

Too many of us are the parents that our parents were. Well, not here. My sister, brother and I were disciplined in the good old Catholic way... spare the rod and spoil the child. Watching my sister, deeply distressed, at age 14, whilst my father 'spanked' her was traumatic. She learned nothing from his 'hiding'... other than shame. Yes, I know, anecdotal… but I know what his hidings did to my sister (and me).

Please do not confuse my comments with some flowery 60s or Swedish understanding that kids should be regarded as adult and given no discipline and just allowed to develop and grow on their own – rubbish. Boundaries are the key, but how you enforce these boundaries says more about you than your kids – if you need to resort to violence (hitting) to get obedience, then you have failed. You are the adult. You have the big brain. Use it.

Baggers, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but calling someone else's opinion "obscene and ridiculous" simply because it does not line up with your own opinion is IMO not playing the ball or fair to other people sharing their thoughts and opinions about this topic.

Yes I believe that there is far too much physical abuse(disguised as discipline) between parents and children. How ever, I personally was physically, but lovingly disciplined as a kid, and I never had a problem with how or why said discipline was meted out! And when done correctly I believe corporal punishment is a very effective method of discipline.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #14

Baggers, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but calling someone else's opinion "obscene and ridiculous" simply because it does not line up with your own opinion is IMO not playing the ball or fair to other people sharing their thoughts and opinions about this topic.

Yes I believe that there is far too much physical abuse(disguised as discipline) between parents and children. How ever, I personally was physically, but lovingly disciplined as a kid, and I never had a problem with how or why said discipline was meted out! And when done correctly I believe corporal punishment is a very effective method of discipline.

I stand by my opinion that the proposition of striking another human-being can 'be good for them'... it is an obscene and ridiculous proposition.

Strict, clear and even rigid boundaries are important for our kids and will help them understand life on so many levels. My daughters, to this day, describe me as being a really strict parent... but never abusive or angry. Hitting is abuse. The moment you strike a child you have lost control.

I have had people say to me in regard to this stance, "I was disciplined with corporal punish and it didn't do me any harm." What a ridiculous statement. How would you know unless you led parallel lives of the spanked and not spanked?! That is the only way you could possibly know.

Please explain to me how corporal punishment can be 'done correctly?'