Skip to main content
Topic: Darcy Vescio has an announcement (Read 5035 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Darcy Vescio has an announcement

Reply #1
Sure they'll be happy

Reply #2
This is a bit ridiculous but if it makes her feel better...

So is she going to demand we drop the W from AFL W?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
This is a bit ridiculous but if it makes her feel better...

So is she going to demand we drop the W from AFL W?
Darcy is not the first AFLW player to identify as trans (close) as their is a gold coast player who identified last week.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/sport/the-aflw-now-has-an-openly-non-binary-player-theyre-keen-to-use-their-platform-to-educate/
Tori Groves-Little has officially become the AFLW’s first openly non-binary player, in a massive move for gender diversity in the sport.

Reply #4
The part of this I struggle to understand is that they / them fight for recognition and the right not to be categorised / labelled, then immediately ask to be identified with a specific label!

To me this contradictory behaviour seems to be the exactly opposed to respecting an individuals privacy and rights, and that then reduces the whole event to a form of attention seeking behaviour, so that is why I think it comes across as somewhat disingenuous.

It's a behaviour that seems to be repeated in public frequently. An overt desire to be self-declared as somehow different, uncategorised, apart from mainstream society, special even, then a demand for identification that seems driven by an overarching desire for some form of inclusion. Not just on gender issues, but politics, religion, tribalism, fashion, etc., etc.., it's just become another trend / meme with language warped and reduced to a narcissistic absurdity!

Is it a having your cake and eating it scenario?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I'm struggling a bit with this too.
How do you take this stance and then choose to play in a competition that is built and based on a specific male/female distinctions.

Reply #6
The part of this I struggle to understand is that they / them fight for recognition and the right not to be categorised / labelled, then immediately ask to be identified with a specific label!

To me this contradictory behaviour seems to be the exactly opposed to respecting an individuals privacy and rights, and that then reduces the whole event to a form of attention seeking behaviour, so that is why I think it comes across as somewhat disingenuous.

It's a behaviour that seems to be repeated in public frequently. An overt desire to be self-declared as somehow different, uncategorised, apart from mainstream society, special even, then a demand for identification that seems driven by an overarching desire for some form of inclusion. Not just on gender issues, but politics, religion, tribalism, fashion, etc., etc.., it's just become another trend / meme with language warped and reduced to a narcissistic absurdity!

Is it a having your cake and eating it scenario?
I think its a matter of not wanting a label.....that is incorrect.

Then providing one that is correct.

Reply #7
I think its a matter of not wanting a label.....that is incorrect.

Then providing one that is correct.
I'd say it's more arbitrary than correct, it's the label you have when you're not having a label!

Scoundrels will refer to "they" as "it", and be labelled a hater while being grammatically correct!

Will there be a future in which a female athlete claims prejudicial treatment within the AFLW for not being part of a minority, it seems an absurd suggestion, is it? Imagine that, being treated unfairly by gender bigots for identifying as female!

That would be an interesting question to pose Darcy or others, "Do they believe there is a still a place for females in AFLW?"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Seriously, who gives a **** about her "look at me" pronouncement?

Reply #9
Seriously, who gives a **** about her "look at me" pronouncement?
Yes I suspect you are correct, but now I feel overwhelming guilt for lambasting Harris for twittering rather than training! I thought Tayla was perhaps the odd one out, when it may be the case she is the majority!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
I'd say it's more arbitrary than correct, it's the label you have when you're not having a label!

Scoundrels will refer to "they" as "it", and be labelled a hater while being grammatically correct!

Will there be a future in which a female athlete claims prejudicial treatment within the AFLW for not being part of a minority, it seems an absurd suggestion, is it? Imagine that, being treated unfairly by gender bigots for identifying as female!

That would be an interesting question to pose Darcy or others, "Do they believe there is a still a place for females in AFLW?"
In this case arbitrary IS correct.

The first thing i thought about was Darcy has been very pro-female/anti-male with the comments that went viral early on - "Smash the patriarchy" Does Darcy owe one side an apology now because they are somewhat 'fence sitting' now coming out as trans?

Darcy has always been very opinionated and boundary pushing....sometimes a little too much for my liking, it just seems to come back and bite them now.

Reply #11
I don't have a problem with Darcy telling her story, I'm dead against people who continually message and lecture me publicly about not wanting to be labelled / categorised coming out and demanding I refer to them by a label.

A label is something generally earned and given to a person or object by a 3rd party, not something you demand for yourself unless you are full of yourself.

You can wear a name tag all you like, but that doesn't require others to refer to you by it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
I don't have a problem with Darcy telling her story, I'm dead against people who continually message and lecture me publicly about not wanting to be labelled / categorised coming out and demanding I refer to them by a label.

A label is something generally earned and given to a person or object by a 3rd party, not something you demand for yourself unless you are full of yourself.

You can wear a name tag all you like, but that doesn't require others to refer to you by it.
I think that is a very wide brush you are painting wish.

Darcy hasn't "continually" done anything.
Darcy hasn't lectured anyone.
Darcy hasn't demanded anything.

Darcy made one post letting everyone know something somewhat private about themselves and letting people know the best way to go about addressing them to avoid embarrassment.

I think thats fair.

** As a side note, i have caught myself on no less than 10 occasions having to edit out a 'her/she' from my posts, despite proof reading (which i don't normally do). I guarantee i will miss 1 soon enough. If i was chatting face to face, i'd have no hope of addressing them correctly.  :-[

Reply #13
** As a side note, i have caught myself on no less than 10 occasions having to edit out a 'her/she' from my posts, despite proof reading (which i don't normally do). I guarantee i will miss 1 soon enough. If i was chatting face to face, i'd have no hope of addressing them correctly.  :-[
Why do you worry about it, you've done and are doing nothing wrong!

This non-binary stuff, it's like a punter too gutless to place a bet on the nose!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
I'm old school and binary numbers converting them to decimals etc is what I understand, non binary humans I dont get, Darcy is a pleasant young lady and thats how I view her.
I think you lose something as a unique individual when you become a non gender abstract object and I wonder what has led to this decision to describe herself in such a neutral manner.