Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 2297 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2022 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Sunday, January 30
Carlton v North Melbourne at Ikon Park, 3.10pm AEDT
Gold Coast v Richmond at Metricon Stadium, 4.10pm AEST

This is a pretty difficult challenge, considering that we play in Qld on Tuesday might. North have had the wood over us recently, as their ruck division has thrashed Breanne Moody. A danger game, if there ever was one.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW 2022 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #1
B: K.Harrington - C 9 V.Laloifi 8 
HB: L.Brazzale 12 A.McKay 5 J.Dal Pos 2
C: D.Vescio 3 M.Prespakis 4 G.Gee 19
HF: N.Plane 32 P.Trudgeon 26 N.Stevens 21
F: D.Walker 23 C.Jones 22
Foll: B.Moody 16 E.O'Dea 46 L.McEvoy 13
I/C: C.Wilson 20 P.Schaap 35 K.Sherar 25 B.Vickers 24 B.Walker 7 
Emerg: C.Hammans 17 M.Guerin 18 

In: C.Wilson, P.Schaap
Out: A.Lee (Omitted), M.Guerin (Omitted)

Good news.....of sorts.
Wilson is finally back.
Schaap is finally in.

Still don't get Pound or Good back after their late outs last week, and still no luck with getting Hill back either.

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: J.Ferguson 20 S.Wright 17 
HB: B.Brown 36 E.Kearney - C 9 A.Gilroy 8
C: K.Ashmore 10 M.King 23 I.Eddey 3
HF: S.Abbatangelo 1 A.O'Loughlin 6 J.Bruton 35
F: E.King 60 T.Randall 16
Foll: K.Rennie 26 J.Garner 25 A.Riddell 7
I/C: D.Bateman 11 E.Gavalas 22 N.Bresnehan 12 J.Duffin 27 D.Bannister 2 
Emerg: A.Smith 15 T.Craven 5 

In: S.Wright
Out: D.Hardiman (Managed)

Reply #2
North kicked the last 6 goals to win easily. Very disappointing. Glad I decided not to go. Haven't seen anything of the game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
I watched it.  Our foot skills are deplorable, seriously U16s level and that’s being generous. Scoring a goal is a rarity as you can see by the weekly low goal numbers so as a spectacle it’s hard to stay interested for the whole match.

I can only push myself to watch our games but IMO this league has no chance of ever being taken seriously unless the standard takes an almighty upward swing.

Reply #4
I can only push myself to watch our games but IMO this league has no chance of ever being taken seriously unless the standard takes an almighty upward swing.

It really is a rubbish competition.

Reply #5
No, it isn't. But it isn't a fair competition. The competition has expanded far too far too fast and the depth of talent isn't there. And the Adelaide gerrymander means that Adelaide is massively advantaged over everyone else.
To be honest, we probably should have re-created the various state leagues with the aim to turn professional down the track. It would have been a lot fairer in the short to medium term. However, the AFL didn't want to appear unfriendly to women. The AFLW came along before it was ready and with a huge number of internal issues that bias things in the favour of a few.
It will be worse next year with more teams trying to get the available talent. But at least the existence of Port Adelaide will move the bias a little away from Adelaide.

I've been to quite a few AFLW games and have generally enjoyed them. It is a different product, but it is going to be a long time before the depth is there, even with the increasing number of players coming through.

As for our team, we are struggling at the moment. We don't have the depth and our skills aren't good. Two seasons back and we really were a top team. But since then we've lost talent and not replaced it and our coaching has not kept up with the changes. Our game style doesn't suit the players we presently have. I can't see us improving much in the short term: the fanatic pressure isn't there, the pace doesn't appear to be there and we don't win contested ball enough. That really hurts.

We are not going to play finals this year. Gold Coast have a better chance/ But, with the new clubs coming in, we aren't going to get a talent boost. The better kids will be gone before we get a selection. Nor are the code-changers coming into the competition much any longer.

I'm really frustrated that the AFL doesn't even produce football records for the games. The ground is not set up for playing at the moment, with the southern side of the ground out of action. We don't get the people to the games because we're not playing well.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
They've expanded the competition way too quickly.

Weve gone from the brink of a premiership in 2020 to also rans in 2022.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
We'll have to differ Crash.

Reply #8

Lol. I was trying not to be as brutal but you’re  100% right mate.

Imagine trying to showcase that level on the world stage……We would be laughed at.

The players are not professional and it shows.

Reply #9
Good grief…
Don’t go, don’t tune in.
I think it’s scandalous that you are being forced to watch 🙄

How good was the cows v dees game though, both hard at the ball.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #10
Good grief…
Don’t go, don’t tune in.
I think it’s scandalous that you are being forced to watch 🙄

How good was the cows v dees game though, both hard at the ball.

I only watch one game a week and that only
because of the jumper. I can’t believe anyone can watch that standard and say it’s a decent level. If you see 2 consecutive passes on target in a passage of play you are doing well.
It’s a scrappy mess that resembles u16s local footy at best. 

Reply #11
I only watch one game a week and that only
because of the jumper. I can’t believe anyone can watch that standard and say it’s a decent level. If you see 2 consecutive passes on target in a passage of play you are doing well.
It’s a scrappy mess that resembles u16s local footy at best. 

Sounds like our men's team for the last 20 years
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
I think part of the issue is that being semi-professional brings great variability, not just game to game but moment to moment. You can see the glimpses of play, but they break down very quickly.

I remain convinced part of the problem is that the AFLW is being too closely modelled on the AFL, the AFL game style and tactics do not suit the girls, giving in to the girl's desire to play under the same basic rules and style is doing them a disservice. I had expected the AFLW to be a much faster but lighter impact more heavily team orientated style of game play, not dissimilar to the difference between the Premier League and the Women's Premier League.

I continue to be be gobsmacked at how little reward and protection Maddy Prespakis gets for her efforts, she lays tackle after tackle, her opponents throw the ball away, and she gets nothing form the umpires. When she attacks the football opponents trip or tackle her illegally time after time and again the umpires give her nothing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
I think part of the issue is that being semi-professional brings is great variability, not just game to game but moment to moment. You can see the glimpses of play, but they break down very quickly.

I remain convinced part of the problem is that the AFLW is being too closely modelled on the AFL, the AFL game style and tactics do not suit the girls, giving in to the girl's desire to play under the same basic rules and style is doing them a disservice. I had expected the AFLW to be a much faster but lighter impact more heavily team orientated style of game play, not dissimilar to the difference between the Premier League and the Women's Premier League.

I continue to be be gobsmacked at how little reward and protection Maddy Prespakis gets for her efforts, she lays tackle after tackle, her opponents throw the ball away, and she gets nothing form the umpires. When she attacks the football opponents trip or tackle her illegally time after time and again the umpires give her nothing.

Same page, Spotted one.

At the risk of sounding like a smarty pants -- again -- this was my point from the get-go. Expecting the gals to play under exactly the same rules/ground sizes as the fellas was short-sighted and, well, silly. Even tennis acknowledges the physical differences (3 sets v 5 sets).

Grounds should be smaller and physicality reduced to give the gals more time to execute the skills of the game. And as for the rapid expansion when the talent pool was already shallow, well that was ill-conceived as mentioned by plenty a while ago.

I'm not as pessimistic as some. I think that with meaningful modifications to allow more ease of flow, the gals game can grow and flourish and become a better spectacle.

Playing the game in the heat of summer is ridiculous... the idea that it can serve as a kind of pre season comp to the blokes is, again, silly. Far better later in the year when the weather is more favourable - our blokes play in the cooler months for a reason... FFS. (Oct/Nov and finishing in Dec would be better).

And expecting the gals to put on a quality product when they are so poorly remunerated - and hence unable to give their sport suitable time and commitment to refine skills, is mind boggling.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
And expecting the gals to put on a quality product when they are so poorly remunerated - and hence unable to give their sport suitable time and commitment to refine skills, is mind boggling.
@Baggers‍ Do you think this exposes a potential lack of commitment by the AFL Big House?

I fear they are doing what is expected of them, not what they want, but even that comes with a remote chance of bringing in big dollars.

Sorry for my cynicism!
The Force Awakens!