Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022 Rd 5: Carlton vs Adelaide at Ikon (Read 2548 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2022 Rd 5: Carlton vs Adelaide at Ikon

Reply #15
Got tackled running into the open goal but surely you can't pull them down by hand over the shoulder.

Reply #16
Got tackled running into the open goal but surely you can't pull them down by hand over the shoulder.
Yeah i noticed that. They would never pay that after a defensive effort like that though.

Reply #17
How much better do we look with Mimi Hill back in the side!

13 touches in her first game in a year. f*** we've missed that.

FWIW, Prespakis has 10. McKay 9.

Reply #18
Hill picking up where she left off.

Girls still got relentless pressure and won't go away. Get our first goal, 10 points in it.

Reply #19
We need to work on our tackling.
Our technique is not quite good enough.
I reckon there has been about 10 occassions where we have managed to tackle them and instead of turning them, we've just let them carry on in a straight line and they've managed to get a handball or a kick to escape a free kick for holding the ball. Every one of them would've been paid if they didn't get a boot on the ball (that travelled all of 1m in most cases). Grab even half of them and the momentum swings are huge.

Alternatively, one of my new favourite players Courtney "Compete at all costs" Jones has been done 2 or 3 times in a similar fashion when tackled, but the crows have managed to turn her slightly leaving her off-balance and unable to connect with a boot to ball.

I guess you can put that down to the experience of the crows vs our largely inexperienced bunch.
I'd just like to see some more reward for effort. When you do 90% of it right, and its just the last little part of the technique that is letting us down.

Reply #20
FWIW, Mimi Hill has 22 touches, not 16 as just mentioned by the boundary rider.

Reply #21
We get completely shafted by the umpiring.

I've no idea what Prespakis has done wrong, maybe she gobs off too much, but opponents are basically free to mow her down prior to her taking the footy, often it's directly in the back and they are not be penalised. Personally, I can blame her for gobbing off!

Crows basically do not obey the stand rule, and just aren't penalised for it!

Crows get pegged with the footy, pegged and drop the footy, pegged and throw the footy away, and our girls aren't rewarded at all!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Different interpretation of 'holding the ball' for each team.
It was as obvious a difference as I've ever seen at a football match at any level.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Different interpretation of 'holding the ball' for each team.

Couldn't agree more. And so obvious... like the proverbial dog's knackers.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
You know my real fear is that this is the pre-cursor to the new AFL rule interpretations, the rules might not yet be in place, but then again they aren't new rules just a new "emphasis", and if so then season 2022 is going to be a dogs breakfast!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
You know my real fear is that this is the pre-cursor to the new AFL rule interpretations, the rules might not yet be in place, but then again they aren't new rules just a new "emphasis", and if so then season 2022 is going to be a dogs breakfast!
What happened on the weekend had nothing to do with new rule interpretations. It was just poor umpiring off the back of IMHO poor tackling techniques.

I mentioned it in game, we don't 'turn' in the tackles enough and allow the opponent to get a shoelace on it.
No, that doesn't account for every incident, but i think we didn't help our own cause in a lot of cases.

Reply #27
I would like to see us become leaders when it comes to tackling, rather than the reverse.
However, it doesn't surprise me to see Adelaide coming out on the positive side of it. They may have a professional organization, but the level of bias shown towards Adelaide since the AFLW started is difficult to comprehend.
Live Long and Prosper!