Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022 Rd 7: Carlton vs St, Kilda (Read 1850 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2022 Rd 7: Carlton vs St, Kilda

Reply #15
I have been taking a small pair of binoculars to the footy for years.  I gave them a try after seeing coaches use them in the coach’s box.

I generally only use them when the pill is in the centre and away from my end of the ground.

You want binoculars that are lightweight, have a wide depth of field and moderate magnification.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
I may have to try something like that. Thank you for the tip.

I really miss the eagle eyes I once had. I ALWAYS knew who had the ball and who kicked the goal, even when I was 9. It frustrates the hell out of me to be ... old. I guess I'm I'm only 60 (61 next Sunday), so what should I be worrying about?

Heaps of cheap options out there crash.  Got a $14 dollar pair from a disposal store and really lightweight.  

Reply #17
You want binoculars that are lightweight, have a wide depth of field and moderate magnification.
Have to agree 100%, lightweight compact type binoculars are the best option. I already had some larger classic marine zoom types 8-15x50 that I tried to use but they are just too heavy to use at the footy for an extended period, you go home with neck and shoulder pain. So I bought a pair of compact binoculars 8x24 Pentax around $100 and they worked a treat, you can use them single handed and they fit in a coat pocket.

As @DJC mentioned you don't need a big magnification, I was lucky because the zoom ones I already had worked from 8x to 15x so I knew I'd never use a pair at more than 8x, so I think 8x is great, 10x would be absolute maximum usable to comfortably follow the play without getting too jittery. Really, you get the benefit from more light in making things easier to see and you then do not need high magnification.

PS: There use to be a trader who travelled around all the local suburban markets selling binoculars pretty cheap, no brand types made in China and they were OK for fair weather, but they would fog up and lenses discolour when they got used in a bit of drizzle, and that is exactly when you need them to work! ;)
The Force Awakens!