Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2022 Pre Game Prognostications (Read 3098 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 1 2022 Pre Game Prognostications

Soon all the pre season hype, optimism, concerns and worries will deliver some insights. Only a first game in a long season of on-going development under a new coaching group, led by Vossy, but a game in which we hopefully get a good look at the 'New Blues' - players, coaches and game plan/attitude. Hopefully we begin the year with a win. Be a nice change.

Optimism.
Loved the team defense approach, bold ball movement and discipline of the pre season games against good opposition. Intensity was there and we just kept coming - persistence. Yummy.
Impressed by the Gov. Rolled into contests to spoil, delivery by foot was important and dangerous and high footy IQ was on display.
Impressed by our small forwards and forward half defensive pressure.
Crippa, Hewitt, Cerra and Kennedy as a midfield group (and soon, Walshy added to that group).
LOB improvement.
Running half backs.

Concerns.
In game lapses... allowing opposition to kick multiple, unanswered goals (though mitigated, particularly in the D's game by 2nd half personnel changes) i.e ability to deliver 4 qtr pressure/handle effectively the opposition when they've got the 'run of play' and apply strong pressure to our game plan (in the past, we had no answer and would wilt/go into our shells).
Injury prone players - we've a few too many of those.

Your excitements, interests, thoughts and concerns?

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: R1, Pre Game Prognostications

Reply #1
The Tigers will be a good litmus test for our newfound team defence, composure, and crisp ball skills. I've liked the zigzag handball on display in the praccie against Melbourne - a change from our usual hot potato handballs. But the swarming strategy the Tigers employ will apply much more pressure than a practice match could ever do.

The talls down either end will have a good test. In F50, Charlie & Harry should have relatively favourable match-ups, particularly if Grimes doesn't come up 100% and Balta plays forward. Tarrant will probably need some time to gel with the back 6 and Gibcus is a bit raw if he is chosen to fill in for Grimes. And down the other end, Lynch, Riewoldt & Balta will test whoever we pick as FB. That'll help us decide whether we've picked wisely.

Reply #2
Looking good but i'll wait for the first couple of rounds. Round 1 we are always competitive then, after being full of hope, we don't turn up for round 2. We can do no more than what we could've done during the pre-season but history tells me to wait after round 2. A good round 2 and i'm in!!!!

Reply #3
One of the big differences that gives me more hope than I have had at this time over far too many years is the focus on culture.  Vossy must have recognised that as a significant deficiency and argued successfully for the appointment of an assistant, Aaron Greaves, to address that.  How will it play out?  Hopefully, greater pride in the jumper and mutual respect across the board will mean that we are competitive at worst.

I think that we surprised St Kilda and Melbourne but Richmond will be all over our new gamestyle.  If we can execute well, we're definitely in with a chance, particularly with Richmond having a few regular players out.

It may take a few games before everyone is playing their role and I'm expecting our best footy to really kick in from Round 4 or 5.  Getting a couple of wins on the board before then will be a bonus.

Interestingly, seven out of the nine Age "experts" have us finishing in the eight and Andrew Wu has us at sixth.  I'll take that  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Cripps ability to get through the season makes up about 3 ladder spots, if he stays fit!

Before Cerra and Hewett arrived, Cripps probably made a 5 spot difference!

So much depends on guys like BigH, Charlie, De Koning and SoJ staying fit, but again we are less dependant this season as guys like Kemp, McDonald and Kennedy can bridge gaps in more than one position. Losing one default starter won't hurt us like it has in the past.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Richmond have a weaker defense than usual especially if Grimes is out...Astbury and Houli have retired and they have imported Tarrant to help fill the gaps. Decent player that he is he wont make up for the others missing and IMO this is our best chance to beat Richmond and we should start favorites. They do have Dusty Martin back and still have a a very dangerous forward line as well as two big strong rucks especially with Nankervis who dines out on us most games but hopefully DeKoning later in the game can out jump them and provide us with a spark as it really is the battle of the mids that will win the game.
Lambert and Graham out will help and I'm hoping Prestia wont play either, Tigers are still a force and of course have the biggest X factor in the comp in Martin but this is a must win game IMO.

Reply #6
Richmond have a weaker defense than usual especially if Grimes is out...Astbury and Houli have retired and they have imported Tarrant to help fill the gaps. Decent player that he is he wont make up for the others missing and IMO this is our best chance to beat Richmond and we should start favorites. They do have Dusty Martin back and still have a a very dangerous forward line as well as two big strong rucks especially with Nankervis who dines out on us most games but hopefully DeKoning later in the game can out jump them and provide us with a spark as it really is the battle of the mids that will win the game.
Lambert and Graham out will help and I'm hoping Prestia wont play either, Tigers are still a force and of course have the biggest X factor in the comp in Martin but this is a must win game IMO.

Nice to have you back EB!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Nice to have you back EB!
Thanks DJ, happy to be back amongst fine company such as your good self, happy to share I had a heart scare and now have a stent for company in an artery but on the mend and given the sad losses recently of SK Warne, R, Marsh and Senator Kitching I'm not complaining especially with the excellent care I received by both the ambulance and hospital staff.

Reply #8
Thanks DJ, happy to be back amongst fine company such as your good self, happy to share I had a heart scare and now have a stent for company in an artery but on the mend and given the sad losses recently of SK Warne, R, Marsh and Senator Kitching I'm not complaining especially with the excellent care I received by both the ambulance and hospital staff.
Glad you made it 👍🏼
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #9
Agree EB...on paper probably our best chance of knocking Richmond off in Round 1 for awhile. Their tall forwards are a bit of a worry, especially with no Jones, but I think McDonald and McGovern can do enough between them to help out Weitering. At the other end, we can really test them with our talls and blokes like Silvagni and Kennedy going forward too able to take a mark. Throw in some speed and nous with Owies, Durdin and Fisher and I think we look pretty even across the ground.

I'd still be going with TDK/Pittonet combination too.

Reply #11

Very thankful for that @ElwoodBlues1 ... take good care mate :) :)  My best wishes

Reply #12
Glad to hear you're on the mend @ElwoodBlues1‍ , we should start a club, Men of Metal! ;D

I think mine is Nickel Cobalt Chrome.
The Force Awakens!