Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2022 Pre Game Prognostications (Read 3115 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1, Pre Game Prognostications

Reply #30
Any footy is better than no footy EB.....and at a neutral game you can walk outta there at the final siren and still be happy! Doesn't always work like that at Blues games unfortunately.

Reply #31
Any footy is better than no footy EB.....and at a neutral game you can walk outta there at the final siren and still be happy! Doesn't always work like that at Blues games unfortunately.
Fair Point Surfie, hopefully my blood pressure wont be up from the previous evening....

Reply #32
EB, it's great to hear good news.  I had a triple bypass twenty five years ago so you've got many years of following Carlton ahead of you.

Reply #33
Speaking of good news (congrats EB) it just been said by Vossy, that Sam Docherty will be playing R1!

Remarkable recovery considering i think most here wrote him off for the year.

Reply #34
Just read the same thing Kruddler. Enormous boost for the team and the club I reckon. His form early last year was very "un-Docherty" like...fumbles, dropped marks, poor kicks etc....got a sneaky feeling he'll be pumped to make amends this year. Huge game and no way would Voss pick him if he didn't think he was 100% right to go.

Reply #35
Starting to get excited about what may lie ahead for the next 6 months.

When I was a wee lad, there weren't any bad players for Carlton - because they played for Carlton, they were good.  While I'm sure that wasn't the case, the innocence of childhood has a lot going for it.

The players will have me if they show that they are playing as a team and for Carlton and put in.  Doesn't matter who.

I think there is a different feel to R1 this year, helped by not being the first game of the season.

Like others, I think we're in for a good show R1 this year, but head says Richmond to win.

PS welcome back Elwood.  My SIL's brother, 45 had a quad/quin bypass earlier in the year - probably best thing to happen to him as it has given him a massive wake up  call (not saying that you need one) and I think he has decided life is worth sticking around for.  It is amazing how standard and generally easy the op is these days.

Reply #36
EB, it's great to hear good news.  I had a triple bypass twenty five years ago so you've got many years of following Carlton ahead of you.
Thanks Macca and glad to see you have recovered so well ...

Reply #37
Speaking of good news (congrats EB) it just been said by Vossy, that Sam Docherty will be playing R1!

Remarkable recovery considering i think most here wrote him off for the year.
Thanks Krud and yep poor Doc has had a tough run and be great to see him run out round 1, play well and stay well.

Reply #38
Starting to get excited about what may lie ahead for the next 6 months.

When I was a wee lad, there weren't any bad players for Carlton - because they played for Carlton, they were good.  While I'm sure that wasn't the case, the innocence of childhood has a lot going for it.

The players will have me if they show that they are playing as a team and for Carlton and put in.  Doesn't matter who.

I think there is a different feel to R1 this year, helped by not being the first game of the season.

Like others, I think we're in for a good show R1 this year, but head says Richmond to win.

PS welcome back Elwood.  My SIL's brother, 45 had a quad/quin bypass earlier in the year - probably best thing to happen to him as it has given him a massive wake up  call (not saying that you need one) and I think he has decided life is worth sticking around for.  It is amazing how standard and generally easy the op is these days.
Cheers Dodge, I was fairly diligent in terms of lifestyle, monitoring etc and didnt think I fitted the profile for heart issues but just goes to show you can do a lot of things right and still find yourself asking why me?. but you have to look at the positives and sounds like your SIL's brother did that...

Re: AFL Rd 1 2022 Pre Game Prognostications

Reply #39
I had a laugh today listening to the radio, they are all over us as "we should be big improvers", "this year will be different", "they've made great progress", etc., etc., building expectations that this year will be different.

Then they read out the picks for Rnd 1 and we didn't have a single backer, not one, nada, nothing, no-one backed us to win tomorrow night!

Then I had to listen to the spiel about the Ferals being "the underdogs!" :o

This is straight out of the Jab Watson Snr / Kevin Sheedy Memorial Carlton Haters playbook, "Build em up to tear em down after "the upset" loss!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
^^

Or it could just be the status quo.

We are going up against a team that we haven't beaten since 2013.  That team has won the premiership 3 times since then, and we have won the wooden spoon a few times.

They have become a bogey team for us.  We have a few under an injury cloud, and they should account for us reasonably quickly.

They currently still have the bones of a premiership outfit, and we are coming up from a low base with a new coach, and a bunch of new players.

Can we win?  yes.

Should we win?  I don't know.

Are the pundits right for expecting Richmond to account fur us?  Probably.

Do they expect us to show remarkable improvement?  YES.  That doesnt mean we should win though.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #41
I don't think anyone who has been indoctrinated by Sheedy, or has had the opportunity to spread or assert Sheedy's indoctrination over subordinates, will ever miss an opportunity to shiv Carlton!

It's followed the same fundamental pattern for more than 30 years, long long before we were such easy fodder.

To further that, we've had decades of an AFL Executive that is/was basically CheatsFC boosters, even someone like Vlad who turned out to be a CheatsFC closet booster, they painted him publicly as the bad man when all along he was really their man on the inside.

Then you add to that a layer of AFL media, that is basically the marketing division of CheatsFC.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
^^

Or it could just be the status quo.

We are going up against a team that we haven't beaten since 2013.  That team has won the premiership 3 times since then, and we have won the wooden spoon a few times.

They have become a bogey team for us.  We have a few under an injury cloud, and they should account for us reasonably quickly.

They currently still have the bones of a premiership outfit, and we are coming up from a low base with a new coach, and a bunch of new players.

Can we win?  yes.

Should we win?  I don't know.

Are the pundits right for expecting Richmond to account fur us?  Probably.

Do they expect us to show remarkable improvement?  YES.  That doesnt mean we should win though.

I think if we dont beat Richmond this time then we wont be going anywhere this season. IMO they are ripe for picking and apart from Walsh we will have our best team available. Be terribly disappointing to lose after the good preseason we have had and I reckon Voss would feel he needs a good start. 2013 is a long time between wins and we need to break that cycle, first up win be be a great confidence booster and could propel the team finals bound. Lose this and then drop a tough one vs the Dogs the following week and you are playing catchup for the season.
We can win and win well IMHO....

Reply #43
Teams is in....

FB - Saad - McDonald - Weitering
HB - Williams - McGovern - Docherty
C - Kennedy - Cerra - O'Brien
HF - Owies - McKay - Martin
FF - Silvagni - Curnow - Durdin
R - Pittonet - Cripps - Hewitt
INT - De Koning - Fisher - Newman - Setterfield
EMG - Carroll - Fogarty - Williamson - Young

Not picked....
Ed Curnow
Lachie Plowman
Paddy Dow
Lewis Young
Matty Cottrell
Jack Newnes
Brodie Kemp
Luke Parks

INJURED...
Walsh
Stocker
Cuningham
Marchbank

Reply #44
Personally, i probably would've included Kemp over Setterfield but other than that, that is almost exactly the way i would've picked the side......and its probably been about 10 years since i could say that.