Skip to main content
Topic: Jim Park Analysis 2022 (Read 1918 times) previous topic - next topic

Jim Park Analysis 2022

Greetings, ladies, gentlemen and others,
It is that time again. This Thursday the seasons begins and we try to defeat Richard.
However, this Thursday also sees the beginning of voting for the Jim Park Award for 2022. We're pretty good with our selections, going from how they correlate to how are players are rated. Not perfect, but we do a pretty good measure. Anyway, voting will begin again this Thursday. Please reward the players who deserve it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Jim Park Analysis 2022

Reply #1
Rd 1:   Carlton vs Richmond
For the first time in a long time, we managed to defeat Richmond in the opening round. It was very enjoyable to be there, even if it was a steam bath.

Trends:
[1]   I must admit I thought there would be more people voting for this game. There were 16 voters for one of our best wins in years, where we average 19 voters in a win over the last couple of years. Maybe we’ll get more if we start winning more.

[2]   The rating was 9.58, which is halfway between a B+ and an A-. Again, I thought it might have been a little higher considering the opposition. However, it is very nice to have a win where we weren’t lucky to win. Then again, maybe we have already internalized our improved performances and voted accordingly.

[3]   We had 14 players get a mention this week, which is close to our norm when we’ve win over recent years. However, there were five players who managed over 100 votes and a 99. This suggests that we a good spread of very good players on the night, rather than just a team performance.

[4]   We had an average of 31 votes among our players this week, with a spread of 339 between our top score (342) and our bottom vote getter (3). I’m not sure of these measures are going to be useful as I hope, but I will see if it can give us some insight as the season goes on.

[5]   Patrick Cripps scores 342 votes to be BOG, followed by Matt Kennedy with 297. In recent years we rarely have two players score so highly. Our 4 main mids all got more than 100 votes.

[6]   3 players, Cripps, Kennedy and Cerra, received voted from every voter, no matter what system they devised to share their votes. That is an excellent sign of how we played. A couple of others managed a mention from the majority. Marc Pittonet, who didn’t get huge numbers of votes, still attracted the attention of 8 different voters. I think that is really important for our structure as they year progresses.

[7]   Adam Cerra and George Hewett had first games to remember. They were in the top 5 on their first outings, something that has been rare for us in recent years. In fact, we have generally performed better when we have had guys debuting for us. The time where we haven’t had many debutants, we have generally lost Round 1. It has also been true that most of our recruits from other clubs have started very slowly for us. This was not the case this time.

Votes:
Patrick Cripps      342
Matthew Kennedy   297
Adam Cerra      214
George Hewett   150
Sam Docherty      102
Adam Saad       99
Mitch McGovern   89
Marc Pittonet      54
Corey Durdin      51
Jack Silvagni      16
Matthew Owies   7
Zac Fisher      7
Tom de Koning   7
Jack Martin      4

(One of things our spreadsheet does is to round any scores up. Martin, for example, got 3.19 votes, which is what I was looking at earlier in this post. However, his score was rounded up to 4. Just one of the little quirks this spreadsheet has. Just if you were wondering how he could 3 earlier and 4 now.)

Progressive Scores:
Patrick Cripps      342
Matthew Kennedy   297
Adam Cerra      214
George Hewett   150
Sam Docherty      102
Adam Saad       99
Mitch McGovern   89
Marc Pittonet      54
Corey Durdin      51
Jack Silvagni      16
Matthew Owies   7
Zac Fisher      7
Tom de Koning   7
Jack Martin      4
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Rd 2:   Carlton vs Western Bulldogs
While we have beaten the Dogs a number of times in recent years, I haven’t been able to be at a single one of our victories. The losses, however, I saw.
How times have changed.
It was so nice to see us NOT being run over in the last quarter.

Trends:
[1]   This week there were 15 voters, one less than there was last week. This is down from the 19 that was typical for a win 2021 and 2020. Does this say something about the changing demographic of our population? Possibly. I guess the proof of the pudding will come if we lose. The average voters for a loss last year was 14.

[2]   The rating this week was 9.78, which is higher than last week. This is an A-, something that has been rarely seen in recent years. In fact, only 4 voters rated the game with a B (+).
I think we are getting accustomed to winning again. Our expectations are higher. A win like this in 2019 would have been an A+. This is not a bad thing, not at all.

[3]   Like last week, we have 14 players get a mention. It is a little lower than for many of our wins in the last couple of seasons, but it is a sign that we have players performing at a higher level. We are not looking to give votes for encouragement, nor are we struggling to fill in the votes.
To be honest, that is my biggest task when I vote: so many players deserve a lot more votes than I can give them. I much prefer this to what was often the norm in the last few years.

[4]   This week the average vote was 32, one better than last week. Not sure if this stat is telling me anything significant yet. But time will tell.

[5]   Patrick Cripps was BOG for the second time in two weeks with 375 votes, 33 more than last week. He was followed by Charlie Curnow with 264. Very nice to see Charlie in the votes. Only three of our key mids scored over 100 this week, but Cerra was missing, and Walsh was clearly underdone.

[6]   Cripps and Curnow both managed votes from every voter this week. Hewett, Kennedy and McKay attracted most voters’ attention.

[7]   This was Sam Walsh coming back from his operation. He managed a lot of possessions, but not quite the sort of game we’ve become used to. He managed 55 votes in a solid return. He will get better as he gets fitter.

[8]   5 players scored more than 100 votes, a brilliant effort I can’t remember seeing for years.

[9]   Congratulations to Lochie O’Brien for getting votes instead of complaints. One of his better efforts.

Votes:
Cripps, Patrick 375
Curnow, Charles 264
Kennedy, Matthew 205
McKay, Harrison 169
Hewett, George 121
Pittonet, Marc 81
Walsh, Sam 55
O'Brien, Lochie 42
Docherty, Sam 39
Silvagni, Jack 36
William, Zac 33
McGovern, Mitchell 20
Weitering, Jacob 16
Fisher, Zac 10

Progressive Voting:
717 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
503 - Kennedy, Matthew (0)
271 - Hewett, George (0)
264 - Curnow, Charles (0)
215 - Cerra, Adam (0)
170 - McKay, Harrison (0)
142 - Docherty, Sam (0)
136 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
109 - McGovern, Mitchell (0)
100 - Saad, Adam (0)
56 - Walsh, Sam (0)
52 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
52 - Durdin, Corey (0)
43 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
33 - William, Zac (0)
17 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
17 - Fisher, Zac (0)
7 - Owies, Matthew (0)
7 - de Koning, Tom (0)
4 - Martin, Jack (0)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Round 3:   Carlton vs Hawthorn
After such a great start, we were lucky to win. But we did win.

Trends:
[1]   This week there were 13 voters. I guess we welcome in the new norm. However, I do find it disappointing.

[2]   The rating this week was 8.77, effectively a B-. Probably a realistic rating of our performance. All of the ratings were between a C and a B.

[3]   This week we had 17 players get a mention. This was more like our wins of recent years where everybody did something, but there were few stand out performances. For all that, we are having more standout performances, which is a major positive for us.

[4]   This week the average vote was 29, the lowest of the season. Expected, considering how we played.

[5]   Congratulations to Sam Docherty for a clear BOG this week. He managed 331 votes and has been in our best every game this year. What a comeback! I wasn’t expecting him to have much impact this year at all! Patrick Cripps and Jack Silvagni each managed 202 votes to come second. Cripps has started the year magnificently.

[6]   Other than Cripps, our midfielders were not as significant this week, even with the return of Cerra. Our game plan is very dependent on our midfield, which appears to be an area that we can be attacked. It is also very clear that Sam Walsh is struggling relative to his last few seasons.

[7]   3 players, Cripps, Docherty and Silvagni, managed votes from all voters. Weitering missed one voter. This suggests that not as many of our players were as dominant as they have been.

[8]   5 players again managed to get 100 votes or more for this game. Hewett and Cripps have managed that for all 3 games so far.

[9]   Marc Pittonet may not attract a lot of votes each game, but the fact that he has polled in all 3 games is significant. It is something that is very important for our structure.

Votes:
Docherty, Sam 331
Cripps, Patrick 202
Silvagni, Jack 202
Weitering, Jacob 199
Hewett, George 105
Kennedy, Matthew 64
Curnow, Charles 64
McKay, Harrison 40
Young, Lewis 37
Pittonet, Marc 13
Walsh, Sam 13
Cerra, Adam 10
Newman, Nicholas 10
Durdin, Corey 7
O'Brien, Lochie 7
Setterfield, Will 7
William, Zac 3

Progressive Voting:
919 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
567 - Kennedy, Matthew (0)
472 - Docherty, Sam (0)
376 - Hewett, George (0)
329 - Curnow, Charles (0)
255 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
225 - Cerra, Adam (0)
216 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
210 - McKay, Harrison (0)
150 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
100 - Saad, Adam (0)
69 - Walsh, Sam (0)
58 - Durdin, Corey (0)
50 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
38 - Young, Lewis (0)
36 - William, Zac (0)
17 - Fisher, Zac (0)
11 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
7 - Setterfield, Will (0)
7 - Owies, Matthew (0)
7 - de Koning, Tom (0)
4 - Martin, Jack (0)

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Round 4:   Carlton vs Gold Coast
Our worst performance so far. We were thrashed in the middle of the ground and that was that.

Trends:
[1]   There were 10 voters this week for our first loss of the year. Considering that we’ve struggled to get large numbers of voters when we win, this wasn’t a huge surprise. I guess I’ll get used to it, but …

[2]   A rating of 5.9 was a damning reflection on the way we played. This represents just under an E. I guess the cause was obvious: we expected a win against a team we should be beating.

[3]   Only 8 players got a mention this week. This contrasts with the other games this year. In the previous game we had 17 mentions.

[4]   As would be expected, the average player who got votes had only 19 votes to their name. Even with the concentration of only 8 vote getters.

[5]   Congratulations to Adam Saad for his BOG. He managed 271 votes. Sam Docherty was second with 248, while Zac Williams was 3rd with 189.

[6]   Losing Patrick Cripps early was a big hole in our midfield. But losing Marc Pittonet was probably the biggest blow. With Witts dominating, our mids struggled to make an impact. Hewett was the only one to get a significant number of votes (112), while Walsh managed 30. Our gameplan depends on midfield dominance. We didn’t have it this week.

[7]   We had 3 players who managed votes from all voters, Docherty, Saad and Williams. After that, the votes were widely spread.

[8]   4 players managed 100 votes or more. This would be quite reasonable if there was widespread support, but there wasn’t.

[9]   We have 3 players who have managed votes in every game so far; Docherty, Hewett and Silvagni.

Votes:
Saad, Adam 271
Docherty, Sam 248
William, Zac 189
Hewett, George 112
Walsh, Sam 30
Silvagni, Jack 24
Fisher, Zac 6
Plowman, Lachlan 6

Progressive Votes:
720 - Docherty, Sam (0)
488 - Hewett, George (0)
371 - Saad, Adam (0)
329 - Curnow, Charles (0)
278 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
225 - William, Zac (0)
225 - Cerra, Adam (0)
216 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
210 - McKay, Harrison (0)
150 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
99 - Walsh, Sam (0)
58 - Durdin, Corey (0)
50 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
38 - Young, Lewis (0)
23 - Fisher, Zac (0)
7 - Setterfield, Will (0)
7 - Owies, Matthew (0)
7 - de Koning, Tom (0)
6 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
4 - Martin, Jack (0)

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
Round 5:   Carlton vs Port Adelaide:
The first half was magnificent. The 3rd quarter was some of the worst football we’ve played in recent times. In the last, we weren’t great, but we gutsed it out. Not the template we want to see, but we won. Winning covers a multitude of sins.

Trends:
[1]   There were 15 voters this week, considerably better than last week’s 10 and comparable to our earlier wins this year. I like there to be more, but …

[2]   The rating this week was 7.93, which represents a C, more or less. It doesn’t describe the game, or our effort, very well, but does tell you that a win like that against the bottom team isn’t acceptable any longer.

[3]   16 players got a mention this week, which suggests that a lot of players did something, but very few dominated. Much better than the 8 players for last week.

[4]   The average was 26 votes, this week, considerably better than the previous game, but not what we got in the first couple of weeks.

[5]   Congratulations to Charlie Curnow for his first BOG for a LONG time. Considering that he was still well below his best, fumbling and dropping marks, that tells you just how important he is to this team. Charlie got 286 votes, with Sam Walsh (251) and George Hewett (206) filling in the minor places.

[6]   Pitto didn’t get huge votes, but he rarely does. However, he is having an excellent season. Our midfield depends on him to a huge degree.

[7]   We had only one player, Charlie Curnow, get votes from every voter this week. Hewett and Walsh attracted votes from all but a couple.

[8]   4 players attracted 100 votes or more this week. With 16 players getting a mention, that bodes well.

[9]   We have 2 players, Doc and George Hewett, who have attracted votes in every game so far.

Votes:
Curnow, Charles 286
Walsh, Sam 251
Hewett, George 206
McKay, Harrison 164
Pittonet, Marc 66
Cerra, Adam 61
Saad, Adam 29
Fisher, Zac 29
Silvagni, Jack 26
Martin, Jack 24
Cottrell, Matthew 16
Weitering, Jacob 13
William, Zac 5
Young, Lewis 5
Setterfield, Will 5
Docherty, Sam 3

Progressive Voting:
723 - Docherty, Sam (0)
694 - Hewett, George (0)
614 - Curnow, Charles (0)
400 - Saad, Adam (0)
374 - McKay, Harrison (0)
350 - Walsh, Sam (0)
305 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
285 - Cerra, Adam (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
229 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
58 - Durdin, Corey (0)
52 - Fisher, Zac (0)
50 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
43 - Young, Lewis (0)
27 - Martin, Jack (0)
16 - Cottrell, Matthew (0)
13 - Setterfield, Will (0)
7 - Owies, Matthew (0)
7 - de Koning, Tom (0)
6 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
Round 6:   Carlton vs Fremantle
What could have been: had Pitto not been injured, it is quite possible that the game could have been different. We were, after all, comfortably in front and not playing that badly. But losing Pitto, for maybe three months, hurt us badly and allowed Freo’s mids to get the better of us.

Trends:
[1]   We responded poorly to the loss: only 11 people voted. The only solution to this problem is that we don’t lose anymore. I can hope.

[2]   The rating for this game was 7.12, which represents a D. Maybe a little harsh, as Freo look to be a contender, but a loss is a loss is a loss.

[3]   10 players managed a mention this week, with the bulk of the votes coming for only a handful of players. That tends to suggest that too much was left to too few.

[4]   The average number of votes per vote getter this week was 23, suggesting that few players got a mention.

[5]   Patrick Cripps returned in style with an eye-catching BOG performance. This was his 3rd for the year. He managed a massive 356 votes on a day when the rating was low. That is some sort of performance. Sam Walsh was second for the second week in a row and Adam Cerra returned with 3rd place.

[6]   Pitto being injured was a massive out for us. We have lost when he’s been unavailable. Tom de Koning tried hard, and was noticed for his efforts, but he couldn’t stop Freo getting the better of the play. It shows how important the ruck is for our structure.

[7]   Three players managed votes from everyone: Cripps, Cerra and Walsh. Two players, Docherty and Hewett, managed to miss by one voter. This, too, suggests too much left to too few.

[8]   4 players managed 100 votes or more, which is usually a great sign. However, this week it shows that not enough was done by the others.

[9]   Sam Docherty remains the only person to get votes from every game, although a number of others have votes every time they’ve played. This shows just how significant our injuries continue to be. We have not had a complete list available once this century, as yet. Compare that to teams like Richmond, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Votes:
Cripps, Patrick 356
Walsh, Sam 181
Cerra, Adam 168
Hewett, George 142
Docherty, Sam 87
Young, Lewis 42
Saad, Adam 32
Weitering, Jacob 32
de Koning, Tom 23
Newman, Nicholas 3

Progressive Voting:
1276 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
837 - Hewett, George (0)
810 - Docherty, Sam (0)
614 - Curnow, Charles (0)
531 - Walsh, Sam (0)
454 - Cerra, Adam (0)
432 - Saad, Adam (0)
374 - McKay, Harrison (0)
305 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
261 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
85 - Young, Lewis (0)
58 - Durdin, Corey (0)
52 - Fisher, Zac (0)
50 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
30 - de Koning, Tom (0)
27 - Martin, Jack (0)
14 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
7 - Owies, Matthew (0)
6 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Round 7:   Carlton vs North Melbourne
Our injury hit team responded magnificently and pounded the Roos into scrap! It was an excellent performance, considering the talent we have unavailable.

Trends:
[1]   We had 11 voters this week. I’ve mentioned it every week, but I can’t force people to vote. Hate to think how many we’d get if we lost.

[2]   The rating this week was 9.39, a comfortable B+. Considering how poorly we’ve played against this mob in recent years, I think that is probably unders, but I’ll live with it.

[3]   A staggering 19 players managed a mention for this game. I guess it does describe the way we played. I can’t ever remember this many players getting votes before.

[4]   For all that, the average number of votes was 31! That is equal second highest for the year! Impressive, especially as it had to go around so many players!

[5]   Patrick Cripps managed BOG for the 4th time this year! A phenomenal effort! He managed 290 votes, with Saad coming in second (222) and Harry McKay third (192).

[6]   We were beaten in the ruck, but our mids managed to get on top. Not easy to do. Tom de Koning didn’t get a large number of taps, but the ones he got were winners. Same goes for Silvagni.

[7]   2 players managed votes from everyone this week, but Cripps wasn’t one of them. Neither was Saad. McKay and Walsh attracted votes from every voter. Cripps and Saad missed a couple.

[8]   5 Players managed 100 votes or more this week, which is very impressive.

[9]   Sam Docherty remains the only player to get votes each week, although others have polled every time they’ve played. A fantastic effort.

Votes:
Cripps, Patrick 290
Saad, Adam 222
McKay, Harrison 192
Walsh, Sam 137
Docherty, Sam 111
Curnow, Charles 64
Kennedy, Matthew 60
Martin, Jack 51
Young, Lewis 47
Carroll, Jack 47
de Koning, Tom 43
Weitering, Jacob 30
O'Brien, Lochie 30
Fisher, Zac 21
Newnes, Jack 21
Cerra, Adam 17
Silvagni, Jack 17
Owies, Matthew 4
Plowman, Lachlan 4

Progressive Votes:
1566 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
921 - Docherty, Sam (0)
837 - Hewett, George (0)
678 - Curnow, Charles (0)
668 - Walsh, Sam (0)
654 - Saad, Adam (0)
627 - Kennedy, Matthew (0)
567 - McKay, Harrison (0)
471 - Cerra, Adam (0)
322 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
291 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
132 - Young, Lewis (0)
80 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
79 - Martin, Jack (0)
73 - Fisher, Zac (0)
72 - de Koning, Tom (0)
58 - Durdin, Corey (0)
47 - Carroll, Jack (0)
22 - Newnes, Jack (0)
14 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
11 - Owies, Matthew (0)
11 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
I have been a little slow updating this. I do apologize. I'll update both Rd 8 and ( here, as I've already updated the spreadsheet and don't wont to undo my good work.  >:D   >:D

Round 8:   Carlton vs Adelaide
A strong win, where we did a lot right, but still struggle with injury to important players. That is the story of our year, so far.

Trends:
[1]   There were 16 voters for this game, which is really significant. It is our equal top number for the year.

[2]   The rating this week was 9.67, which is a B+. We’re much harder to please this year as our results have improved, but this was this was our 2nd highest all the same.

[3]   17 players rated a mention this week, which is damned good. It shows just how even our team performances have been.

[4]   The average votes this week was 32, which was very high considering how many players got a mention.

[5]   Charlie Curnow managed BOG this week, and he wasn’t playing at his best. But where he went, something happened. Cripps was second and Docherty was 3rd.

[6]   The way our mids have responded since Pittonet went down is remarkable. Last year we would have lost most of these games.

[7]   Only 2 players, Cripps and Curnow managed votes from all voters this week, but a lot of guys attract considerable attention.

[8]   5 players managed 100 votes or more, with Cripps and Curnow getting over 300 each.

[9]   Doc remains the only player to get votes every week, but he hasn’t missed a game yet. It tells you just how many injuries we’ve had. Cripps has managed votes in all of the games he’s completed, as has Hewett.

Votes:
Curnow, Charles 366
Cripps, Patrick 347
Docherty, Sam 133
Cerra, Adam 127
Kennedy, Matthew 100
McKay, Harrison 69
Young, Lewis 69
Fisher, Zac 63
de Koning, Tom 54
Silvagni, Jack 51
Saad, Adam 27
Walsh, Sam 15
Weitering, Jacob 6
Durdin, Corey 6
Setterfield, Will 6
Boyd, Jordan 6
Newnes, Jack 3

Round 9:   Carlton vs GWS
A very solid performance when we were really up against it.

Trends:
[1]   There were 16 voters for this game, the second week in a row. It is our equal top number for the year.

[2]   The rating this week was 9.91, which is close enough to an A for the first time this year. We’re much harder to please this year as our results have improved, but this was this was our highest all the same.

[3]   15 players rated a mention this week, down from 17 last round. It shows just how even our team performances have been.

[4]   The average votes this week was 32 again this week, which was very high considering how many players got a mention.

[5]   Sam Walsh managed his first BOG of the year this week, which is fantastic considering how interrupted his pre-season was. Weitering was 2nd in his best game for the year, while Doc was third.

[6]   I could go on and on about how our mids have responded, especially as Preuss tore us a new one. But, to win in such circumstances, shows how resilient we’ve become this year.

[7]   This week only Weitering got votes from everyone. However, there were a lot of players who attract attention from most voters.

[8]   7 players managed 100 votes or more, this round. I’ve never seen a result like it!

[9]   Doc remains the only player to get votes every week, but he hasn’t missed a game yet. It tells you just how many injuries we’ve had. Cripps has managed votes in all of the games he’s completed, as has Hewett.

Votes:
Walsh, Sam 297
Weitering, Jacob 215
Docherty, Sam 175
Silvagni, Jack 162
Kennedy, Matthew 159
Cripps, Patrick 155
Durdin, Corey 102
Hewett, George 59
Cerra, Adam 53
Plowman, Lachlan 36
Fisher, Zac 30
O'Brien, Lochie 23
de Koning, Tom 7
Saad, Adam 7
Newman, Nicholas 7

Progressive Votes:
2069 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
1229 - Docherty, Sam (0)
1044 - Curnow, Charles (0)
980 - Walsh, Sam (0)
896 - Hewett, George (0)
885 - Kennedy, Matthew (0)
688 - Saad, Adam (0)
651 - Cerra, Adam (0)
636 - McKay, Harrison (0)
535 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
512 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
201 - Young, Lewis (0)
167 - Durdin, Corey (0)
166 - Fisher, Zac (0)
133 - de Koning, Tom (0)
103 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
79 - Martin, Jack (0)
47 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
47 - Carroll, Jack (0)
25 - Newnes, Jack (0)
20 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
19 - Setterfield, Will (0)
11 - Owies, Matthew (0)
7 - Boyd, Jordan (0)

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #9
Round 10:   Carlton vs Sydney
Some of the best football we’ve played in 30 years against a really good team.

Trends:
[1]   There were 17 voters for this game, the best for the year so far. We get voters when we play well. So I hope to see this happen again!

[2]   The rating this week was 9.71, which is just over an A-. We’re much harder to please this year as our results have improved, and it is easier to see in our voting patterns.

[3]   16 players rated a mention this week, up from 15 last week and only a couple behind the best ever.

[4]   The average votes this week was 32 again this week, for the third week in a row.

[5]   Jacob Weitering was the BOG this week, just ahead of Charlie Curnow. Its Jacob’s 1st for the year, as his form in recent weeks has been brilliant.

[6]   I have to comment on Tom de Koning’s ruckwork this week. It may not be his strength, but he stood up when it was required, and his marking in the last quarter was excellent. However, Sydney got back into the game when they got centre clearances.

[7]   Only two players, Weitering and Curnow, managed votes from everyone, while Hewett and Walsh had all but one.

[8]   4 players managed 100 votes or more, this round. Still, an excellent effort.

Votes:
Weitering, Jacob 317
Curnow, Charles 308
Walsh, Sam 217
Hewett, George 160
de Koning, Tom 91
Durdin, Corey 74
Fisher, Zac 54
Kennedy, Matthew 46
Docherty, Sam 43
Saad, Adam 40
O'Brien, Lochie 29
Cottrell, Matthew 23
Cripps, Patrick 23
Newman, Nicholas 20
Silvagni, Jack 6
Young, Lewis 6

Progressive Votes:
2091 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
1352 - Curnow, Charles (0)
1272 - Docherty, Sam (0)
1197 - Walsh, Sam (0)
1056 - Hewett, George (0)
931 - Kennedy, Matthew (0)
829 - Weitering, Jacob (0)
728 - Saad, Adam (0)
651 - Cerra, Adam (0)
541 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
241 - Durdin, Corey (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
225 - de Koning, Tom (0)
220 - Fisher, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
207 - Young, Lewis (0)
131 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
79 - Martin, Jack (0)
47 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
47 - Carroll, Jack (0)
40 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
39 - Cottrell, Matthew (0)
25 - Newnes, Jack (0)
11 - Owies, Matthew (0)
7 - Boyd, Jordan (0)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
Sorry this is so long in coming. I've been struggling biochemically for a few weeks now, and I've found it difficult to concentrate adequate. Hopefully that is now behind me.

AFL Rd 11:   Carlton vs Collingwood
Not the result we were hoping for, but we came oh so close. Jack’s snap, a free for too high to Walsh … such is life. We’ll beat them when we have a few players back.

Trends:
[1]   There were 7 voters only this week. Alas, I wasn’t one of them. I had the game programmed, but my recorder died. Didn’t even see any highlights.
Last week we had 17 voters, so this turnout is particularly low.

[2]   The rating this week was 7.67, which is a C-. Considering we came within a few seconds of victory … Obviously, we were not so good for long periods.

[3]   Nine players got a mention this week, which is probably the lowest for the year. Too much left to too few? Or is it merely that I didn’t put in a vote?

[4]   The average vote this week was 25, which is the third lowest of the year.

[5]   Sam Walsh managed his second BOG in 3 weeks with this effort. Well done! Saad and Cerra were equal second.

[6]   I can’t comment about the ruck and mids this week: I didn’t see them in action. But the stats do not display our midfield dominance. Not long until Pitto returns, thank God!

[7]   2 players got votes from all of the voters this week, with a couple of others getting a considerable majority. Too much left to too few.

[8]   Five players got 100 votes or more this week. Normally that is a good sign, but this week it just shows how many of our players were down.

[9]   Doc remains the only player to get votes in every round to date, although our other mids have only really missed due to injury. But it does show just how significant Doc has been this year.

Votes:
Walsh, Sam 350
Saad, Adam 175
Cerra, Adam 175
Hewett, George 153
Curnow, Charles 110
Cripps, Patrick 99
Docherty, Sam 66
Plowman, Lachlan 11
Newman, Nicholas 11

Progressive Voting:
2190 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
1548 - Walsh, Sam (0)
1462 - Curnow, Charles (0)
1338 - Docherty, Sam (0)
1209 - Hewett, George (0)
903 - Saad, Adam (0)
826 - Cerra, Adam (0)
541 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
241 - Durdin, Corey (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
225 - de Koning, Tom (0)
220 - Fisher, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
207 - Young, Lewis (0)
131 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
79 - Martin, Jack (0)
58 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
51 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
47 - Carroll, Jack (0)
39 - Cottrell, Matthew (0)
25 - Newnes, Jack (0)
11 - Owies, Matthew (0)
7 - Boyd, Jordan (0)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
Apologies for taking so long.
AFL 2022   Rd 14   Carlton vs Richmond
What could have been. I missed this game because I slept for 16 hours straight. I’m irritated that I missed it. I’m even more irritated with what happened.

Trends:
[1]   There were 10 voters this week. I think the moral of this tale is simple: don’t lose and the voters will turn out.

[2]   The rating this week was 7.6, which represents a C-, for the second week in a row. Not bad, but not good enough.

[3]   12 players managed a mention this week, which is better than last year, but nowhere near the sort of thing we get when we play well.

[4]   The average votes was 25 again this week. Not what we really want to see.

[5]   Patrick Cripps managed his 6th BOG this week. A pity it wasn’t as outstanding as his game in Round 1. Saad managed his third 2nd place for the season. He has been a very good pickup.

[6]   We appear to have been beaten in the middle of the ground again. This has usually been the case when we’ve lost. I’ll be happy to see Marc Pittonet back, but that is still in the future. We have done really well without him, better than I thought we could. But he is the link we have been missing.

[7]   5 players managed votes from all the voters this week. This is unusual, but it suggests that these 5 were significantly better than the rest. Hewett missed out on votes from 2 voters.

[8]   6 players managed 100 votes or more, which is very impressive. It does suggest that the others didn’t do enough.

[9]   Doc remains the only player who has polled votes in every game so far. That may not have been the case if we hadn’t had so many injuries, as a number of players have been particularly consistent this year, when they’ve been available.

Votes:
Cripps, Patrick 220
Saad, Adam 213
Docherty, Sam 205
Walsh, Sam 175
Hewett, George 106
McKay, Harrison 106
Young, Lewis 38
Boyd, Jordan 30
O'Brien, Lochie 19
de Koning, Tom 11
Cottrell, Matthew 11
Newman, Nicholas 4

Progressive Votes:
2631 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
1897 - Walsh, Sam (0)
1748 - Docherty, Sam (0)
1462 - Curnow, Charles (0)
1422 - Hewett, George (0)
1329 - Saad, Adam (0)
849 - McKay, Harrison (0)
826 - Cerra, Adam (0)
541 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
283 - Young, Lewis (0)
247 - de Koning, Tom (0)
241 - Durdin, Corey (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
220 - Fisher, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
169 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
79 - Martin, Jack (0)
67 - Boyd, Jordan (0)
62 - Cottrell, Matthew (0)
59 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
47 - Carroll, Jack (0)
25 - Newnes, Jack (0)
11 - Owies, Matthew (0)

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Apologies for taking so long.
AFL 2022   Rd 15   Carlton vs Fremantle
I missed the Collingwood and Richmond games, so getting to this one was a great satisfaction. The result was too. If we’ve plated better with so little of our front-line talent on the scene, I can’t remember it.

Trends:
[1]   There were 11 voters this round, which is very disappointing for a win. How many will vote when the game is interstate?

[2]   The rating this week was 10.15, which represents something between an A and an A+. I have not seen such a rating since I’ve been doing this.

[3]   16 players managed a mention this week, which is excellent. We can honestly say that everyone did their part this week.

[4]   The average votes was 33 this week. Our best for the year, and our best for many years.

[5]   Sam Walsh managed his 3rd BOG this week in one of the best performances I’ve seen from an individual. He scored 415 votes. Tom de Koning was 2nd; his first time in the top three. Doc was in the top 3 for the 7th time this season.

[6]   Tom de Koning and the mids really deserve a huge tick this week. Our mids have been down lately, this time they were dominant.

[7]   With such an even performance, only 2 players managed votes from everybody.

[8]   5 players managed 100 votes or more, which is very impressive. Especially as the votes were diluted by so many significant performances.

[9]   Doc remains the only player who has polled votes in every game so far. That may not have been the case if we hadn’t had so many injuries, as a number of players have been particularly consistent this year, when they’ve been available.

Votes:
Walsh, Sam 415
de Koning, Tom 212
Docherty, Sam 198
Saad, Adam 134
Curnow, Charles 111
Hewett, George 92
Fisher, Zac 74
Silvagni, Jack 55
Cripps, Patrick 51
Young, Lewis 46
O'Brien, Lochie 32
Cottrell, Matthew 32
Kennedy, Matthew 28
Newnes, Jack 23
Newman, Nicholas 14
Boyd, Jordan 5

Progressive Votes:
2682 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
2313 - Walsh, Sam (0)
1947 - Docherty, Sam (0)
1572 - Curnow, Charles (0)
1514 - Hewett, George (0)
1463 - Saad, Adam (0)
958 - Kennedy, Matthew (0)
849 - McKay, Harrison (0)
826 - Cerra, Adam (0)
596 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
460 - de Koning, Tom (0)
329 - Young, Lewis (0)
294 - Fisher, Zac (0)
241 - Durdin, Corey (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
201 - O'Brien, Lochie (0)
94 - Cottrell, Matthew (0)
79 - Martin, Jack (0)
73 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
72 - Boyd, Jordan (0)
48 - Newnes, Jack (0)
47 - Carroll, Jack (0)
11 - Owies, Matthew (0)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
AFL Rd 16:   Carlton vs St. Kilda:
Very much the one that got away. Had we kicked straight, we would have won comfortably. But that said, we didn’t play like we have been playing.

Trends:
[1]   There were 11 voters this week, down from 16 for the same round last year. Simply put, not as many people are voting, even though we’re playing better. Such is life!

[2]   The rating this week was 7.33, which represents a D+. Not great, but we did lose. Shouldn’t have, but we did it anyway.

[3]   12 players managed to get a mention; not quite what it was last week, but last week was phenomenal!

[4]   The average votes this week was 24 which is actually the second lowest of the year. A bit surprising, but it was the 3rd lowest rating for the year.

[5]   Adam Saad managed his 2nd BOG for the year. He has been very consistent this year. Sam Walsh had yet another 2nd place, while Cripps came in 3rd.

[6]   Personally, I think that Tom de Koning struggled this week, which robber our mids of a lot of drive. We didn’t get anywhere near as many clearances as we’ve been getting, and the ones we got were just not as good as we can produce.

[7]   We only had 1 player to get votes from everyone: Adam Saad. A lot of players attracted a lot of voters, but only Saad attracted everyone. Probably because of the way we played.

[8]   6 players managed 100 votes or more. That suggests that too much was left to too few for too long.

[9]   Doc remains the only one to get votes in every game, although this probably his east effective. Saad has only missed votes in 2 games (Rds 2 and 3). Cripps has also only missed votes in 2 games (when he was injured). Hewett has also missed votes only twice.

Votes:
Saad, Adam 260
Walsh, Sam 207
Cripps, Patrick 173
Hewett, George 140
Kennedy, Matthew 110
Young, Lewis 107
Docherty, Sam 53
Motlop, Jesse 37
McKay, Harrison 3
Newman, Nicholas 3
Plowman, Lachlan 3
Kemp, Brodie 3

Progressive Voting:
2855 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
2519 - Walsh, Sam (0)
2000 - Docherty, Sam (0)
1723 - Saad, Adam (0)
1654 - Hewett, George (0)
1572 - Curnow, Charles (0)
1068 - Kennedy, Matthew (0)
852 - McKay, Harrison (0)
826 - Cerra, Adam (0)
596 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
460 - de Koning, Tom (0)
436 - Young, Lewis (0)
294 - Fisher, Zac (0)
241 - Durdin, Corey (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
79 - Martin, Jack (0)
76 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
72 - Boyd, Jordan (0)
61 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
48 - Newnes, Jack (0)
47 - Carroll, Jack (0)
37 - Motlop, Jesse (0)
11 - Owies, Matthew (0)
4 - Kemp, Brodie (0)

A lot closer at the top than it looked to be in the first few rounds. But we have a lot of consistent performers this year.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
AFL 2022   Rd 17:   Carlton vs West Coast
It was nice to defeat the Weagles the way we did, even though we had some down spots. We won by 10 goals for the first time in ages. We beat the Weagles for the first time in years, and we beat them in Perth. Three major ticks.

Trends:
[1]   There were 9 voters this week for a win. Last week we had 11 voters for a loss. Nichevo.

[2]   The rating this week was 9.7, which is an A-. Not bad, everything considered.

[3]   14 players got a mention this week, up from 12 last time. A more even performance.

[4]   The average vote this week was 32, which was much better than the 24 of last week.

[5]   Matthew Kennedy managed his 1st BOG for the year. Patrick Cripps was 2nd, and Charlie Curnow was 3rd.

[6]   When we didn’t play so well, the Weagles’ ruck got on top, especially on top of Jack Silvagni. Tom de Koning had one of his better games, and our mids played correspondingly well. It was nice when de Koning was pounding NicNat, whose form would worry me if I were an Eagles’ man.

[7]   We only had 1 player who managed votes from everyone: Matt Kennedy. De Koning and McKay got votes from all bar one voter.

[8]   6 players managed 100 votes or more, which suggests that we had a number of players of significance.

[9]   Doc remains the only player to get votes for every game. A couple of others are close, having only missed when injured.

Votes:
Kennedy, Matthew 253
Cripps, Patrick 210
Curnow, Charles 199
Hewett, George 189
de Koning, Tom 156
McKay, Harrison 113
Docherty, Sam 92
Cerra, Adam 92
Walsh, Sam 86
Saad, Adam 22
Young, Lewis 16
Durdin, Corey 16
Fisher, Zac 5
Newman, Nicholas 5

Progressive Votes:
3065 - Cripps, Patrick (0)
2606 - Walsh, Sam (0)
2092 - Docherty, Sam (0)
1843 - Hewett, George (0)
1772 - Curnow, Charles (0)
1744 - Saad, Adam (0)
1322 - Kennedy, Matthew (0)
965 - McKay, Harrison (0)
917 - Cerra, Adam (0)
616 - de Koning, Tom (0)
596 - Silvagni, Jack (0)
452 - Young, Lewis (0)
300 - Fisher, Zac (0)
257 - Durdin, Corey (0)
231 - William, Zac (0)
216 - Pittonet, Marc (0)
82 - Newman, Nicholas (0)
79 - Martin, Jack (0)
72 - Boyd, Jordan (0)
61 - Plowman, Lachlan (0)
48 - Newnes, Jack (0)
47 - Carroll, Jack (0)
37 - Motlop, Jesse (0)
11 - Owies, Matthew (0)
4 - Kemp, Brodie (0)

Cripps maintains a lead, but not a big one.
Live Long and Prosper!