Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 2 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 3955 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 2 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
I think the body of work we have seen from them before this season can be disregarded, and I think Dow will leave at end of season.  Call it a hunch.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
Walsh for Cerra was a no-brainer but Fogarty for Martin?

Martin's strength is his ability to run non-stop and create passing opportunities from half-back to full-forward as well as providing a lead up target and putting defensive pressure on the opposition defenders.  Fogarty is more of your classic small forward as are Owies and Durdin.  I think that means a lot of crumbing and intense pressure when the Bulldogs attempt to run the ball out of defence.

It also suggests that Vossy isn't wedded to a particular formula.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #62
Walsh for Cerra was a no-brainer but Fogarty for Martin?

Martin's strength is his ability to run non-stop and create passing opportunities from half-back to full-forward as well as providing a lead up target and putting defensive pressure on the opposition defenders.  Fogarty is more of your classic small forward as are Owies and Durdin.  I think that means a lot of crumbing and intense pressure when the Bulldogs attempt to run the ball out of defence.

It also suggests that Vossy isn't wedded to a particular formula.

I was also perplexed at the selection of Fogarty for Martin. I guess we just have to assume that he's shown something since Vossy & Co. arrived that we didn't see last year.

Most are aware that our effort against the Tiggers would be watered down should we drop this one.

We stand to learn even more about our improvement against the Dishlickers tonight. They're on the rebound - strong motivation. We were helped somewhat last week by the Tiggers lack of discipline (50 mtr gifts) though I wouldn't suggest for a second that was why we won. We definitely won on our merits and should have won by more.

I'm sure we all will be watching with great interest to see how we 'back up' an impressive win.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #63
I was also perplexed at the selection of Fogarty for Martin. I guess we just have to assume that he's shown something since Vossy & Co. arrived that we didn't see last year.
Is the Voss MC focussed more on fitness and work ethic than other aspects of the game, perhaps they feel the alternatives either aren't at the required aerobic level or do not have the sacrificial work ethic. Fogarty if nothing else does have the run and does contribute a lot of 1%ers.

It makes me wonder what Stocker's fate might be, historically either his aerobic capacity / fitness has been an issue?

If they are playing healthy players as opposed to potentials who aren't fit, then perhaps we should be pleased instead of shocked!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64

Most are aware that our effort against the Tiggers would be watered down should we drop this one.

We stand to learn even more about our improvement against the Dishlickers tonight. They're on the rebound - strong motivation. We were helped somewhat last week by the Tiggers lack of discipline (50 mtr gifts) though I wouldn't suggest for a second that was why we won. We definitely won on our merits and should have won by more.

I'm sure we all will be watching with great interest to see how we 'back up' an impressive win.

I'm not perplexed, just curious as to the thinking behind Fogarty's selection.

Fogarty certainly covers a lot of ground, but more in a defensive role than Martin's continuous running to create opportunities to go forward.  Fogarty played one quarter of the St Kilda game, if I remember correctly, so he has been in the mix.

Perhaps he will be asked to keep Daniel quiet  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
Fogarty if nothing else does have the runs
Seems to be a good reason to leave him out of the side ...

Reply #66
No news from the early morning RAT tests???  Fingers crossed!!!

Reply #67
Seems to be a good reason to leave him out of the side ...
Fixed.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
Fear its going to be back to reality type game. Simply because we have a combination of too many key players out/out of form/gaining match fitness.. Need to being our A game despite Richmond was an awesome win - we need our best players fit and in form for this one and don't have it this week.

Martin + Cerra missing
H + Charlie out of form
Walshy lacking match fitness
Obrien + Fisher need to step up their game.

Dearly hope for a win but Bulldogs are a damn good side that work well together and we just dont have our A team running at all cylinders on the park.

Reply #69
I'm hoping a bit of a return to form for McKay....Richmond defence is usually always pretty good....Dogs are a bit light on down back and with TDK playing forward too I reckon we can stretch them.

I had kinda been hoping to see Kemp in for Martin....not sure what his VFL/pre-season form was like but a bit of X-factor and can play in a variety of positions....he's probably a good all round choice as a medical sub these days.

Reply #70
Is the Voss MC focussed more on fitness and work ethic than other aspects of the game, perhaps they feel the alternatives either aren't at the required aerobic level or do not have the sacrificial work ethic. Fogarty if nothing else does have the run and does contribute a lot of 1%ers.

It makes me wonder what Stocker's fate might be, historically either his aerobic capacity / fitness has been an issue?

If they are playing healthy players as opposed to potentials who aren't fit, then perhaps we should be pleased instead of shocked!

I don't think its got anything to do with aerobic ability. I think its got to do with work ethic and being team oriented.

There seems to be a shift away from athletic types, and more of a focus on football types IMO.
Kennedy was big and slow, but can play football.
Williamson is tall, fast and can run, but plays stupid football.
Cottrell can run as good as any, but makes questionable decisions and is lacking skills.
Fogarty is slow and limited, but is smart and brings teammates into the game.
Ed Curnow, albeit injured now, is a running machine, but is limited in skill.

I dunno, it just seems to me that there is a focus on footballers who are team oriented.

Reply #71
What to expect?  I'm not expecting to win - I am hoping to see the application of the 2 & 4th quarters (and last part of 3rd quarter) from last week.

If we have that, then hopefully the right results ensue.  While we have matched up well with the Doggies recently, past performance is not an indication of future performance (as they say).

Reply #72
What to expect?  I'm not expecting to win - I am hoping to see the application of the 2 & 4th quarters (and last part of 3rd quarter) from last week.

If we have that, then hopefully the right results ensue.  While we have matched up well with the Doggies recently, past performance is not an indication of future performance (as they say).
x2, a few things have not gone our way this week. I don't think we are the point yet where can cover things like this. Never know but...
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #73
I'm quietly confident, particularly with Ash Hansen's familiarity with the Bulldogs.

We've really lost nothing with Walsh for Cerra and Fogarty for Martin provides another bloke who works hard, but in a different way to Martin.

Harry and Charlie will both be better for the game last week and I suspect that one will have a big game.

The emergencies are interesting; all have been written off for this season by many.