Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 6094 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #15
This will be an interesting one… definitely not feeling as confident. In my footy tipping comp I picked Carlton for R1&2 but not sure I can for this one…

Reply #16
We should be confident to win this week. I know it’s hard considering our last 10 years but our new midfield adding Cerra back in to further strengthen us will give our forwards plenty of looks and we have too much firepower up forward for this mob.

Think the 10 day break will also help us.

Blues by 35.

Reply #17
Quietly confident ... but it'll be a hot contest for sure.

Reply #18
We have an additional COVID factor that needs to be considered. 

Will it run through the club and we end up with a bit of revolving door of positives?

Will players struggle with it like so many have with lethargy and not come back as spritely as they were prior to infection?

Valid questions, but ones that need to be asked.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
Hawthorn played a game out of the box - question is whether they can repeat that performance kicking 13 goals straight.

I have my doubts - big week on training track for the boys.

Reply #20
I suspect it will be another one of those games of 'momentum changes'.
Not over the line by any means and we need to treat them with respect and come ready to play.
I think our best is enough to get the job done...but we need to be at our best.

Reply #21
We have an additional COVID factor that needs to be considered. 

Will it run through the club and we end up with a bit of revolving door of positives?

Will players struggle with it like so many have with lethargy and not come back as spritely as they were prior to infection?

Valid questions, but ones that need to be asked.

But it’s just a sniffle Thry 🙄

From what I’ve gathered, the club has very strict protocols in place that should limit the chances of transmission.  The fact that the last outbreak was limited to two players, two coaches and one football department member suggests that our safeguards are effective.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that we won’t have multiple cases.  The vaccination mandate should mean that long COVID isn’t a problem.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
Port Power were simply atrocious last night.  Their forward line is shot to pieces, and their best two big defenders were missing.  And the Hawks were kicking them from everywhere.

Mind you , it's better if the Blues go into this game thinking they can get rolled - our recent history in 'games we should win' is not exactly flattering.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #23
But it’s just a sniffle Thry 🙄

From what I’ve gathered, the club has very strict protocols in place that should limit the chances of transmission.  The fact that the last outbreak was limited to two players, two coaches and one football department member suggests that our safeguards are effective.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that we won’t have multiple cases.  The vaccination mandate should mean that long COVID isn’t a problem.
Yep, it is just a sniffle, but that doesn't stop people having to isolate until the rules are changed, and it doesnt mean people are 100%.

Your reaction summarises the issue with the pandemic though.  For some strange reason when people point out how irrelevant getting covid is for the majority of people, you get thrown in the same boat as people who are anti vax.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
Yep, it is just a sniffle, but that doesn't stop people having to isolate until the rules are changed, and it doesnt mean people are 100%.

Your reaction summarises the issue with the pandemic though.  For some strange reason when people point out how irrelevant getting covid is for the majority of people, you get thrown in the same boat as people who are anti vax.

I wouldn’t say anti-vax Thry, just anti-science.  Just ask the folk in ICU.

Anyway, this isn’t the COVID thread so let’s get back to the Hawthorn game.

Yes, it’s possible that one or both teams may be impacted by COVID, but it’s unlikely that more than a couple of players or coaches will be unavailable, if any.

Of far more importance is whether McDonald is fit and who makes way for Cerra and Martin.  Then there’s Dow banging the door down for a spot in the 22.

I think that it will be McDonald, Fisher and Owies out for Plowman, Cerra and Martin.

Dow will be the sub.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I wouldn’t say anti-vax Thry, just anti-science.  Just ask the folk in ICU.

Anyway, this isn’t the COVID thread so let’s get back to the Hawthorn game.

Yes, it’s possible that one or both teams may be impacted by COVID, but it’s unlikely that more than a couple of players or coaches will be unavailable, if any.

Of far more importance is whether McDonald is fit and who makes way for Cerra and Martin.  Then there’s Dow banging the door down for a spot in the 22.

I think that it will be McDonald, Fisher and Owies out for Plowman, Cerra and Martin.

Dow will be the sub.
Young or Plowman? Might need another tall to replace OMac
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
I guess the answer to that question depends on who will stand Mitchell Lewis. Someone joked when he was drafted that he was going to replace both Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis. He wasn't really a top draft pick (no. 76), but he had the size to let Hawks supporters dream: 198 cm and now 100 kg. It's taken 5 years, but he's now a good power forward. He's kicked 3.1 against North & 5.0 against Port after kicking 22 goals in 14 games last year. Given his height and current impact, Weitering would probably have to go to him. But this would pretty much force Weitering to play deep which reduces his impact on the game. This is where losing Jones hurts as he would have been perfect for him. Again, putting the Gov on him would prevent Gov from prioritising intercepts. Lewis Young would have the size to match him at 201/100 but does he have the ability to match him on the lead and for physicality?

The Hawks could seek to take advantage of our lack of tall defenders by bringing in the 196/94 Jacob Koschitzke, but if that was a great selection idea surely the Hawks would have done it already.

Gunston at 193 cm is a slippery forward and needs a lockdown defender. Gov is the right height but would playing him as a lockdown defender cramp his style? Newman at 187 cm be tall enough? Plowman has the height and mobility.

I'd guess the 2 defensive set ups would be:  Weitering on Mitch Lewis & Plowman on Gunston or Lewis Young on Mitch Lewis & Weitering on Gunston.  

Reply #27
What is fascinating is how Port blitzed the Dawks in the middle and at clearances but were bereft of forwards and a backline. We're a different proposition in that regard.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #28
What is fascinating is how Port blitzed the Dawks in the middle and at clearances but were bereft of forwards and a backline. We're a different proposition in that regard.
If the clearance differential is the same this week, we will win by 30+ points.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #29
I heard David King musing on SEN about stats. He thought if someone designed stat-keeping from the ground up now they wouldn't bother with meaningless disposal stats. He noted that in soccer, they don't keep records of how many kicks players had. He thought the stats that are worth keeping have more to do with contested possessions and those that indicate influence on the game such as score involvements. He said Ollie Wines can be an influential player but wasn't against the Hawks despite stats suggesting otherwise. I guess clearance stats also can be misleading if the statisticians award a clearance to a player who clears the ball with a clanger or unproductive disposal.