Skip to main content
Topic: Reality TV (Read 1775 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reality TV

Reply #15
I confess to having never watched any 'reality' TV show, I have too much respect for the mental health of my computer monitor and/or TV screen.  :D
I get dragged into it with the trouble and strife, I sit there hoping like hell that nasal hair I'm tugging on will be attached to my brain so I can end it all quickly!

The good thing at the moment is that at least the girl has been won over by the dog shows, the only problem is those shows spend too much time talking to the people and not nearly enough time talking to the dogs!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I confess to having never watched any 'reality' TV show, I have too much respect for the mental health of my computer monitor and/or TV screen.  :D

My exposure is limited to the promotional clips that the networks inflict on innocent viewers.  Although I did watch one episode of the Resort with my basketballer “Bruce”.

I do watch Grand Designs.  Is that reality TV?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
The reason we have 2 TV's is because of reality shows. Our marriage was seriously on the rocks when the wife was subjecting me to "Big Brother" on multiple occasions many years ago. Was even switching over when I was paying a visit to the toilet!!
Fortunately we got the second set and all the anguish dissipated and we are a happy couple again
 ;D

Reply #18
My exposure is limited to the promotional clips that the networks inflict on innocent viewers.  Although I did watch one episode of the Resort with my basketballer “Bruce”.

Ah, now there is quality stuff... Escape To The Country and all the other home reno and/or purchase advise shows - good value. I've gleaned many useful tips from those programs.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
My wife likes the Block and MAFS.
I organise my stamp collection while they're on ;D .
So I'm half watching.
She gives me a dirty look when I make comments at some of the less intelligent behaviour (frequently).

Reply #20

Less exploitation, but still not exactly reality.

My former boss (builder) was on it many years ago and was asked if he would do it again. We did some fancy, pretty cool stuff and he said hell no.

Almost everything you see is staged for the camera and troubles are 'trumped up and exaggerated'.

Still good viewing for the houses alone, just don't get sucked into the 'story' so much.

Reply #21
Less exploitation, but still not exactly reality.

My former boss (builder) was on it many years ago and was asked if he would do it again. We did some fancy, pretty cool stuff and he said hell no.

Almost everything you see is staged for the camera and troubles are 'trumped up and exaggerated'.

Still good viewing for the houses alone, just don't get sucked into the 'story' so much.
I believe the Block houses are tricked up to look good but the new owners discover plenty of short cuts and cover ups.
Heard a couple of the ex Builders say its impossible to build the homes properly given the time factor and access needed....

Reply #22
I believe the Block houses are tricked up to look good but the new owners discover plenty of short cuts and cover ups.
Heard a couple of the ex Builders say its impossible to build the homes properly given the time factor and access needed....
I know one the builders who's worked on the Block for a few seasons.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
Once the block wraps up they get the real trades to go through and fix it up.
Some things are getting fixed up as the show moves on into other rooms.

The way they do the wet rooms is criminal. I haven't watched for quite a few years now, but if they still do what they used to, its probably not even up to standard regs and certainly done sub-par quality wise.
Gutting a bathroom, and putting it back together again in a week is not possible. Wait time required on screeding, waterproofing, plastering, tiling, painting etc etc takes longer than a week.
There are other examples of this, but thats the most obvious one.