Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide  (Read 5151 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #105
He was good, because his work inside F50 meant players like Butters, Burton and Boak could hang back and not push so deep, it leaves them with run in their legs when they know they have someone deep at either end to do the heavy lifting, and Rozee was icing.

Kennedy was playing the SPP type role for us in the first couple of rounds, but has gone off the boil a bit, is that because we've asked him to tag?

Of course in AFL you can only do that if you have team-mates prepared to sacrifice, because AFL opposition will always try to make you accountable. But if everyone starts expecting someone else to sacrifice for them things will go sour pretty quickly.
Fair points on Kennedy, he was dominating in early games and racking up big numbers and then was switched to tagging roles which I found strange. I think he works better as an offensive player and Hewett is the one who does the tagging as he seems able to work both ways picking up a man and getting the ball himself which not many can do to the level he can.

Reply #106
Hmmm, maybe I wasnt clear.   SPP was really good after half time, so we cant be responsible for him being both good and bad in the same game is the point I am making.

SPP seemed on his own a lot after half time, maybe if his man played closer attention to him he might have featured less.
He did get used in the ruck at one stage which probably freed him up more given Pittonet in particular wouldnt be able or probably that interested in running with him...

Reply #107
All the talk pre-season was about our defensive issues.....lack of defensive pressure, letting teams move the ball easily into their forward line and the inability to stop teams when they got on a roll. I'll take the 4-1 for sure but it seems like we've gone into a full on attacking/high energy game, which we don't appear to be able to sustain for 4 quarters...but completely forgotten about the defensive weaknesses that ultimately cost Teague his job.

Even in the first half when we were dominating, Port still seemed to be able to get the ball and move it too easily around the ground and into their forward half. They just didn't have the tall forward options to capitalise on it.

Young is in his early days but looks lost when the ball hits the ground and just panics when he gets it. He'll get better for sure but we really do need to get McGovern and/or McDonald back in there and down back IMO to offer a bit more experience to help Weitering.

I was worried when we brought Cottrell, Newnes and Parks into the side all at the same time. None of them are all that good with disposal but Cottrell probably did enough to hold his spot.

Reply #108
If we were good after half time then Port must have been brilliant and same with the Hawks.....Port kicked three or four behinds first up in the last quarter and could have stolen the game.

You take the 4 points but there are areas for improvement and certain players with question marks given its happened three weeks in a row vs average opposition..

I watched the game on Sunday, and I went to the Hawks and Bulldogs games.

Funny thing is, in all of these games, I don't think the opposition were suddenly all that brilliant in the second half.  They all played solid, consistent football without actually tearing us apart, and ground us down until the scores were ridiculously close.  We made it far easier by forgetting that we needed to continue scoring as well.

The clear and obvious momentum swinger in all of the games was the way in which we played in the second half - we lost all sense of run and urgency, and reverted to the slow, unimaginative game that has plagued us for so long.  And unfortunately, we are not very good at it either.

Look at our 2nd half scores in those games....

Bulldogs :  12.4 in the first half, 4.2 in the second
Hawks : 9.5, 2.3
Power : 12.6, 2.4

This isn't about changes in tactics, or positional moves - it clearly seems to be an attitudinal thing, we go into a form of cruise control, and cannot get the engine started again when we need to.  We have all seen it in front of our eyes - we are in complete control, and then for some reason, we cannot get a goal to save ourselves.  Then the muscles start to tighten up, the kicks start missing, the marks are dropped, the handballs don't hit the mark.  And the harder you try to stop it, the harder it is to stop......

The one saving grace is, it is in our own hands and heads to fix this.  The downside is, anyone who is behind us at half time will have a real belief that we can be run down.

Good sides don't worry about the scoreboard - they simply follow their process for the whole game, and the scores that come from that are the by-product.  I think our second halves are a symptom of a team that is doing better than they imagined was possible.  The trick is to mature into a team that expects to win every single contest across the whole 4 quarters, and don't accept anything less.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #109
This isn't about changes in tactics, or positional moves - it clearly seems to be an attitudinal thing, we go into a form of cruise control, and cannot get the engine started again when we need to.  We have all seen it in front of our eyes - we are in complete control, and then for some reason, we cannot get a goal to save ourselves.  Then the muscles start to tighten up, the kicks start missing, the marks are dropped, the handballs don't hit the mark.  And the harder you try to stop it, the harder it is to stop......

The one saving grace is, it is in our own hands and heads to fix this.  The downside is, anyone who is behind us at half time will have a real belief that we can be run down.

Good sides don't worry about the scoreboard - they simply follow their process for the whole game, and the scores that come from that are the by-product.  I think our second halves are a symptom of a team that is doing better than they imagined was possible.  The trick is to mature into a team that expects to win every single contest across the whole 4 quarters, and don't accept anything less.

You middle paragraph is the only real concern to me… because we’ve been almost run down a few times this year in spite of our strong play, that it feeds the belief of opposition teams that they are not out of the game… which means that they’ll weather our storm and come back at us hard and THAT perception will take a long time to overcome and WILL cost us wins…

Other than that, we’re getting the 4 points, hopefully realising that games last longer than 60 mins.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #110
Watching the tape SPP seemed to be involved in a lot of the play that ended up in scores,  and even though he might not have been credited with the 'assist' he was certainly involved.  At least six times I reckon.   So he may not have had a lot of stats but what he did was damaging. Burton (who I don't rate)  also hurt with a couple of bombs.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #111
Dominating the opposition and having a big lead in games has been very unfamiliar territory for our club for years. Do we just need to learn the psychology of dealing with it? do we need to be physically fitter? do we need more active leadership? Whatever the answers are, we must keep winning, pretty  or ugly,  to build and maintain the faith.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #112
Dominating the opposition and having a big lead in games has been very unfamiliar territory for our club for years. Do we just need to learn the psychology of dealing with it? do we need to be physically fitter? do we need more active leadership? Whatever the answers are, we must keep winning, pretty  or ugly,  to build and maintain the faith.
Yes, I think you are correct, the fitness to deal with being in the front might not be physical fitness.

Coming 2nd too often for too long, and becoming comfortable with it, can be habit forming!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #113

The psychology of having a huge lead is challenging - as I have said before, I was always taught that if you have a big lead at 1/2 or 3/4 time, the best way to prevent a turnaround was to go as hard as you could straight after recommencement, with a view to kicking the first two goals (or more).  That serves the purpose of not only increasing the lead, but crushing the opposition spirit to the point where they no longer believe it can be done.

None of these comebacks that have nearly caught us have been barnstorming goal fests - they have been slow burns, because we have not put the foot on the throat.  Never give a sucker a second chance, as they say.  The real trick is to convince the players that these fadeouts are not inevitable, or it might become a learned habit.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #114
First game I’ve seen live since COVID and the result was never in doubt. The bounce of the ball and inexplicable umpiring favoured Port but we always had control of the game.

Port also kicked a couple of goals out of their back-sides......

Reply #115
Leaders need to step up , hard to see a captain like Hodge allowing players to slip into old habits and take the foot off other teams throats. We looked a bit directionless when the other teams started to kick goals, Burton kicked two long range goals even though he didnt appear to be playing forward, who was playing on him? Butters was damaging also and he must have had an opponent, you dont get these problems if players are accountable and when teams get momentum you need either your coach or leaders to tell players to get on their man and make every possession a contest. When you are at the games you can see the whole spread of players and you can see whats going to happen in advance further up the ground and Port had players loose everywhere on the overlap too often

Reply #116
How many games over the last few years have we been the better side for the 3 quarters but one shocking term cost us? No one cared for us then and I certainly don't care now it's the other way around.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!