Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide  (Read 5299 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #15
The bright side is with those first halves it will eventually start carrying over to the 2nd half. Our style of play is hard a brutal but right now hard to play 4 qtrs with. That will come with more games as we develop more match hardness with the style. Not that dissimilar to the 2017 version of Richmond, who also played a hard, brutal style. We laughed loudly at them choking in games late mid season that year but they were simply brutal for 4 qtrs come September and for the next 3 years after. As bad as our last halves are now, those first halves are something to behold.

I think that’s fair commentary Jim. Apparently the players have fully bought into Vossy’s approach that requires  all in effort at all times to win contested ball. Our fitness level does not sustain that for much more than half a game atm but hopefully it will come, and when/if it does then fasten seatbelts!!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
Forget all the objectives Vossy, you MUST get to the bottom of the mental capitulations.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
I fear he'll need to be a Sigmund Freud to do that @Gointocarlton ... but you're right.

To fall over the line against two teams that have a combined 2 outta 10 wins is not something to crow about

Reply #18
Had no idea about no water during ramadan  ... VERY commendable

Not sure that is right. I think he may have special dispensation from an Iman to drink or eat during games as required to enable him to preform at the required level.

It would be impossible for him to preform at that level without water or food, especially in the hot conditions such as we experienced today.

He maybe be required to fast at other times during Ramadan.

If someone has more info on this I would certainly be interested in hearing about it.

Reply #19
If someone has more info on this I would certainly be interested in hearing about it.
I do know Bachar Houli did not drink during daylight hours on game day.

Apparently the trick for sportspeople is the start fasting a week or two earlier, so that their stomach shrinks a bit and they can fill up easily pre-dawn game day during Ramadan. He found managing the amount of food and drink rather than overloading gave him a better result.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Carlton players for the past 25 years have picked and chosen when they are going to play. They chose to play in the first half and they chose not to play in the second. This has been going on for decades and not just years. It is a cultural thing. They feel comfortable so they drop their effort. The other team sense it and come hard, our players panic, stop running, stop playing for the team, revert to self preservation, kicking it anywhere and hoping someone else will stand up and save the day. Had a Port Adelaide kid in front of me who was almost crying in the first half, had to tell him last season Port absolutely slaughtered us, and told his dad that Carlton could lose it from here. His dad didn't believe me. I had to assure him that Carlton may not turn up after half time. Now if I knew that sitting, in the outer, never played an AFL game in my life, how is it our players don't seem to know it. I refuse to get enthused or energised by Carlton until they are willing to turn up week in and week out and try. I don't care whether we win or lose, though I prefer to win obviously, but what I want are players who will have a red hot go every time, not just when it suits them. I can barrack for a team that has a go. Don't explain away losses, don't excuse lack of effort, don't expect it will all turn around one day. Until the players say no more it is not going to change.

Reply #21
Forget all the objectives Vossy, you MUST get to the bottom of the mental capitulations.

Thinking it is more a chance our style of play, being so hard and brutal, we can't yet sustain it for 4 qtrs. We need more games before we adapt, like Richmond had to in 2017. What is happening though, when severely challenged on the scoreboard, we have found a resilience despite the fatigue (not sure what happened to that against the GC). Port had 11 min to hit the front and couldn't. Hawthorn did get in front but we found a way and the Dogs come right back but couldn't close any further once within 12pts.

Reply #22
I fear he'll need to be a Sigmund Freud to do that @Gointocarlton ... but you're right.

To fall over the line against two teams that have a combined 2 outta 10 wins is not something to crow about
Its hurting us in the sense that we are 36% off 2nd place on the ladder equal on points but about to be 6th once Freo finish off the Cheats and 7th tomorrow when Geel account for Haw. Winning is better than losing sure but this going up big leads will cost us eventually.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
Coaching group have barely been together and got a handle on the squad. We are travelling well - in the top eight after five rounds.

Prefer to be holding on to leads than chasing all game in epic come back wins or honourable losses. Port has a Prelim squad that is bound to bounce back sooner or later - we held them off and walked away with the chocolates without playing perfect football.

Reply #24
Thinking it is more a chance our style of play, being so hard and brutal, we can't yet sustain it for 4 qtrs. We need more games before we adapt, like Richmond had to in 2017. What is happening though, when severely challenged on the scoreboard, we have found a resilience despite the fatigue (not sure what happened to that against the GC). Port had 11 min to hit the front and couldn't. Hawthorn did get in front but we found a way and the Dogs come right back but couldn't close any further once within 12pts.
We were VERY lucky to get the win today, make no mistake about it. Nothing resilient about it, pure luck.
Last week we travelled to GC thinking we just had to turn up and collect 4 points, we had our pants pulled down and made to assume the position.
Today the boys were very happy with themselves at 1/2 time and then didn't turn up after the main break as in their minds they thought they would go on with it.
I don't buy the lines about not being able to sustain the game style, they have been prepared for it and have shown they can execute it. There are too many that go missing for large patches, IMO its between the ears and not in the legs.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #25
Not sure that is right. I think he may have special dispensation from an Iman to drink or eat during games as required to enable him to preform at the required level.

It would be impossible for him to preform at that level without water or food, especially in the hot conditions such as we experienced today.

He maybe be required to fast at other times during Ramadan.

You’re right, Adam would have dispensation to eat and drink as necessary in order to be able to do what’s required of him at training and on game day.  The dietician would have worked out an eating plan for him and it must be spot on because his energy levels are right up there.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
Bank the 4 points no matter how ugly it was to watch and move on. Keep developing the squad and finding the best roles for each player.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #27
We were VERY lucky to get the win today, make no mistake about it. Nothing resilient about it, pure luck.
Last week we travelled to GC thinking we just had to turn up and collect 4 points, we had our pants pulled down and made to assume the position.
Today the boys were very happy with themselves at 1/2 time and then didn't turn up after the main break as in their minds they thought they would go on with it.
I don't buy the lines about not being able to sustain the game style, they have been prepared for it and have shown they can execute it. There are too many that go missing for large patches, IMO its between the ears and not in the legs.

Unfortunately, it is a bit new. They can execute the game style but it is a highly fatiguing. That can take a while. They are humans, not robots. A few months in pre-season won't do it. Need games to adapt. We used to laugh at Richmond choking in games late mid 2017 with they're brutal style of play, then September came and kept coming. Fact is, each time we have been severely challenged on the scoreboard we have won. That has been in all 4 of our wins. Has to be resilience. Port drew within a kick with 11 minutes to go coming like a tidal wave. We again found a way when we should have been run over. Can't argue with all that.

Reply #28

Absolutely no mental capitulation today!

Tired legs and the rub of the green against us but we fought that out with everything we had.

Very proud of the boys today!

A few tweaks to the game plan, personnel and training loads and a top 4 finish isn’t out of the question.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #29
The worst bit about a win like this is you can't really sit back and watch the replay, because after half-time we were just bit players in a Port fairy-tale finish. Really don't know where we are at. Beat Richmond, who have shown they are off the mark. Beat bulldogs, who have shown thy aren't really at their peak. Beat Dawks who have shown they are pretenders. Lost to GC because we saved our worst performance to date for them. Now we've beaten Port who are 5 and zip. Still not sure if we've improved or just been lucky.