Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide  (Read 5150 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #30
We're playing some of the best football I have seen in a long while.
The boys digging in last 5-7 minutes with determination to win against Hawks and Port was really good actually.
We have Freo next at Freo and even if we lose I think the contested hard nosed football suits the players
When we are on moving the ball it is something to behold. We will blow teams out of the water sooner or later.

Reply #31
The game plan is not sustainable for 4 quarters.

....but it doesn't have to be.

We just have to be good enough, for long enough, and hold onto the lead that we've created.

In time, we'll get match fit and be able to sustain the intensity for longer, meaning less time for the opposition  to get a hold of us.

Also, we'll get better at identifying and stopping the run ons that let the opposition back in it.

Happy to bank the 4 points this week and maintain our grasp on top4-top8

Reply #32
Our A game is very good but is almost totally reliant on centre clearances and fast delivery to our key forwards before the opposition can get extras back to fill up spaces. McKay (in particular) is creating opportunities for small forwards even when unable to mark the ball.  However - as others have said - our A game requires high intensity running and the players are not yet able to perform at that level for 4 quarters.  I don't believe it is lack of effort, which could have been alleged in some seasons.

A reasonable effort by the match committee for a change -

- Pittonet was outstanding early - in the ruck and on the ground - and Silvagni was an excellent contributor against non-ruckman opponents - however, I think we need a better back up ruckman unless the opposition is similarly limited.
- Newnes performed admirably (especially early) and seemed more dangerous in attack (although he missed some opportunities) than LOB has been.
- Cottrell was good enough and earned his spot.
- Parks still has something to prove but we needed someone to provide an overhead spoiling option to play as a 3rd tall defender and the only other option (until Gov returns) might have been Plowman or Kemp (if he is available) so he was worth a shot.

Reply #33
Went and watched the match live and every Carlton supporter around us even with a 50 odd point lead knew we were not safe even vs a undermanned Port.
I felt our key forwards were the difference but it was a poor brand we played after half time. Didn't feel we exploited the Port lack of ruck experience and we had several players who were liabilities.
Setterfield is a poor decision maker and average disposer of the football and how he remains in the team baffles me.
Parks is a VFL player and panic merchant when under pressure. Sure he gives effort but has little composure imho.
Young did some ok things and was handy.
Cottrell was good and got better as the game went on and while no star is a reliable player in terms of contesting and taking the safe option.
Happy to take the 4 points but it's not a win you could take comfort from apart from known quantities like Walsh, Hewett, Saad, Silvagni etc.

Reply #34
[1] Opposition coaches are becoming aware of our game plan, which depends almost totally on getting centre clearances to score. When we dominate the centre, we score easily. When we don't, we struggle.
Today, when Hayes started getting used to how Pittonet rucked, we lost all momentum in the middle of the ground. The lad looks like he is going to be good ruck. He rucks at least as well as Lycett already. Lycett does better around the ground and has the strength and guile.
Not having a proper second ruck option hurt today. Jack Silvagni tried hard, but Hayes had 10 cm on him and got his hand to the ball. We are a much better side when jack is in the forward line, as clubs are now aware of what he brings on the ball.
It would be very nice for us if Tom de Koning could step up. He has the raw athleticism to embarrass other rucks around the ground, but we don't tend to kick to him and he doesn't tend to work hard enough to get good position.
We probably need him to improve significantly, not impossible, or to have Mirkov come good. Mirkov also has the raw athleticism, but he is some way off yet.

[2] Our defence is not yet what it could be. of our taller defenders, only Jacob Weitering trusts himself to take a big mark in defence. That doesn't mean either Young or Parks isn't up to it, but it does restrict their possessions: our smaller defenders tend to get the kicks out of defence because they can provide the run.
Our small defenders get a fair bit of ball, but we don't seem to get the drive from them: things seem to break down before we can get decent entries, unless we dominate the centre.
We also appear to give too much room for people at times. I would like our players to be closer.

[3] When we stop scoring, our small forward drop our of the game totally. When we get the ball into our forward line, Fisher, Owies and Durdin tend to make a significant contribution. When we don't, they don't get a touch. All of them need to work on their one on one contests, because, if we win them, they not only get more possessions, but we get deep entrees.
Today. Fisher had a bigger game and made more of a contribution, but he gets pushed out of the way too easily. Same goes for Owies and Durdin. However, they would get more ball if they worked that big harder and were a bit faster, neither of which is impossible.
Maybe Phlip might be an answer. He is taller and has some real pace. More importantly, he gets his foot to the ball quickly when the goals are close. Cuningham could also bring something here, as he can win his won ball.

[4] Setterfield, Newnes and O'Brien are doing enough not to get dropped, as a general rule, but don't make that big contribution that would make the difference. Newnes was very good early today, but dropped out of the game. Setters wasn't bad, but he isn't giving us the drive from defence that we need to give us a plan B. Jack Carroll or Liam Stocker could be options here, as they have intensity.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
Young,  Parks and setterfield are the weak links in our current line-up.

Young is still...well....Young and needs time to grow.
Similar with parks, but he has probably exceeded what we'd expect from him and has probably reached his ceiling or is very close to it.
Setters has had enough time now that he is over his knee issues, is back up to afl speed.....but is still making some rookie mistakes.

We desperately need to draft (and recruit) a key defender as we are light on for confirmed talent down back. Weitering, obviously, but make shift/unproven options for support from young, omac, gov, plow, parks, Kemp? Marchbank?? Hopefully we can find a chb and a 3rd back from that list, but until we do we keep looking.

So hopefully omac, gov and Cunners take the spot of Young, parks and setters and provide a bit more of an even, more consistent performance in the near future

Reply #36

Setters has had enough time now that he is over his knee issues, is back up to afl speed.....but is still making some rookie mistakes.

He seems to be better this season as a link in the handball chains and for his defensive coverage.  My biggest problem with him is that he often kicks across the body and puts too much air under the ball whenever corralled or under pressure - too slow getting his foot to the ball and might be better if he sticks to hand-passing.

Reply #37
Our A game is very good but is almost totally reliant on centre clearances and fast delivery to our key forwards before the opposition can get extras back to fill up spaces. McKay (in particular) is creating opportunities for small forwards even when unable to mark the ball.  However - as others have said - our A game requires high intensity running and the players are not yet able to perform at that level for 4 quarters.  I don't believe it is lack of effort, which could have been alleged in some seasons.

A reasonable effort by the match committee for a change -
Yes, they made improvements for today. Let's see a bit more of that.

- Pittonet was outstanding early - in the ruck and on the ground - and Silvagni was an excellent contributor against non-ruckman opponents - however, I think we need a better back up ruckman unless the opposition is similarly limited.
I have already mentioned this. We really need a second ruckman to give Pitto a break. He showed against Hawthorn last year that he can make goals as a resting ruck, but he rarely plays there. We were good early against the Dogs and the Tigers because de Koning rucked well against his opponents. It meant that Pitto was always fresh. Hasn't been the case since.

- Newnes performed admirably (especially early) and seemed more dangerous in attack (although he missed some opportunities) than LOB has been.
Early in the game Newnes really made a mark. He was trying to say that he wanted for game time. Yes, he made a few mistakes, especially in his disposal, but he tried hard. After half time he struggled. That might mean trouble for him if we get something close to a full list.
O'Brien has been better this year, but he very disappointing in the 2's today. He has to make a mark there, or he won't play when guys like Honey are available.

- Cottrell was good enough and earned his spot.
We used Cottrell a lot more intelligently today. We kicked it to him when he was open and he didn't let the side down. He has a way to go, but his ability to run out games should help us until our overall fitness level is enough to play our A game.

- Parks still has something to prove but we needed someone to provide an overhead spoiling option to play as a 3rd tall defender and the only other option (until Gov returns) might have been Plowman or Kemp (if he is available) so he was worth a shot.
I think we are missing Plow in a lot of ways. He isn't the super-defender we hoped for, but when he is fit and in form, he makes interceptions and he keeps his opponents honest. At the moment, he doesn't look fit. Did he get injured during the pre-season? It looks that way. He certainly has lost the self confidence he had when he was our best lock-down defender. I think he can get it back, but it might be a way off yet. Still, his form in the 2's suggests he is on the way back.
Parks hasn't got the confidence to take the grabs yet. He does that in the VFL. If he can get that confidence, he'll become a much more effective player. In the meantime, we need McGovern back.

At the moment, Oscar Mac is probably a better option that Young, as he does have the confidence to take a grab and make space. he also tends to make a few errors and is not as athletic as Young. In the longer term, Young will be the preferred option, but he isn't there yet.
I liked Young's last quarter. That little extra athleticism got him to contests, which he affected. Could have been game changing.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
Getting Marchbank, McGovern, Stocker, Cunningham, Honey and even Carroll is something I am looking forward to.

Reply #39
Young,  Parks and setterfield are the weak links in our current line-up.

Young is still...well....Young and needs time to grow.
Similar with parks, but he has probably exceeded what we'd expect from him and has probably reached his ceiling or is very close to it.

We desperately need to draft (and recruit) a key defender as we are light on for confirmed talent down back. Weitering, obviously, but make shift/unproven options for support from young, omac, gov, plow, parks, Kemp? Marchbank?? Hopefully we can find a chb and a 3rd back from that list, but until we do we keep looking.

So hopefully omac, gov and Cunners take the spot of Young, parks and setters and provide a bit more of an even, more consistent performance in the near future
At the moment Kemp is not looking like it. I would switch him back to defence and keep him there until his confidence is up. He is getting to contests, but not close to holding marks. Some of that is confidence.

I wouldn't put much hope on Marchbank. He has a lot going for him when he is fit, but he isn't a strong physical player, something we could do with. After so many injuries, I just can't see him fulfilling his potential.

Carroll could be a player, but he goes missing. He could well be very useful on a wing. He also has a more penetrating kick than Setts does. For that matter, so does Stocker.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
He seems to be better this season as a link in the handball chains and for his defensive coverage.  My biggest problem with him is that he often kicks across the body and puts too much air under the ball whenever corralled or under pressure - too slow getting his foot to the ball and might be better if he sticks to hand-passing.
I think he is a slow thinker.
We see it with not understanding the pressure he is under and gets tackled whilst displaying little urgency. I think that does indeed extend to his kicking sometimes. He telegraphs what he is going to do and the opposition are awareness it before he is aware of them. This presents itself in poor kicks, kicks being smothered and simply bad options being taken.

I've been a bog wrap for him, but he doesn't seem to be making the strides forward we all hoped. He will be overtaken soon enough.

Reply #41
4 points is 4 points.

We bank them and move on.  This one and the hawthorn match might cost us top 4 in percentage but its a bit early for that.

5 rounds in when was the last time we were in the 8 the whole way?  2011?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
I think he is a slow thinker.
We see it with not understanding the pressure he is under and gets tackled whilst displaying little urgency. I think that does indeed extend to his kicking sometimes. He telegraphs what he is going to do and the opposition are awareness it before he is aware of them. This presents itself in poor kicks, kicks being smothered and simply bad options being taken.

I've been a bog wrap for him, but he doesn't seem to be making the strides forward we all hoped. He will be overtaken soon enough.
Yep, couldn't agree more and wouldn't be in my team moving forward.
Just a liability today and I'd be moving him on at seasons end.

Reply #43
I didn’t see the game as I was doing the family thing. I checked the scores regularly though. Like our boys I nearly choked in q3😬 when our lead evaporated. That definitely put me off my chocolate.

I’m not sure what to make of us atm. We’re definitely better than recent years. Our best is super. Our lapses are devastatingly costly.

Until we can balance our performance, it’s going to be a tense time for us all. Particularly when our defence is not as robust as we’d like. Meanwhile. Banking the points will at least keep the media off our back, and hopefully keep the belief alive. It feels a bit like a “fake it until you make it” start to me.

Great to hear from those at the game. Thanks for your views👏
Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #44
Fake it until you make it. Spot on!

I'll take that for now. I'll take 4 and 1 any time especially when we're only really playing 2 quarters a game.

Every game so far Charlie has dropped a few sitters and got his hands on a few pack marks but dropped them. Imagine what he's going to bed like when his confidence is up and going.

Still a lot of fluency yet to come across the board with players getting used to each other and new game plan. And some talent to come back in.

I don't expect to get the choccies against the frockers next week.

But i am looking forward to when everything clicks for real.