Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide  (Read 5419 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #45
Too many average players in the side and if it was not for some great efforts by Young and Newman  in the last qtr we may have been discussing a loss.

Rather than fitness our midfield and defensive six are not great at maintaining structure behind the ball, nor are they making good decisions under pressure/fatigue - part of this is physical as many have suggested, but I’d say the issue is mostly mental.  Are our players intelligent enough to know where they need to stand/understand players next option and position as a defensive unit to cut it off? Do they keep their composure under pressure? Do they know when and how to play tempo footy? Do they know not to telegraph their next move so as to invite pressure on the player receiving the ball? Do they will themselves to stick a tackle when a side is surging?? 

Unfortunately, the reality is that the answer to many of the questions above (not all) for players such as Newnes, Cottrell, Parks, Boyd, LoB & Plowman is a resounding “no” so if we are to be successful this year it’s very clearly a specific role or the VFL for the majority of these guys.

Hamill also has a lot of work to do on the back six - our third tall in defence simply isn’t working in McGovern’s absence and we know that we can’t rely on Mitch’s body holding up. We also haven’t found a reliable, strong lockdown defender for opposition small forwards. Whilst there are not too many options on the list, I’d start seriously considering playing DeKoning at CHB, Weitering FB and Young (or potentially Kemp) 3rd tall until McGovern returns. Additionally, TDK gives us some structural flexibility if needed. For the lockdown defender, Fogarty/Cottrell may be worth testing in that role as I don’t think that Stocker is quick or agile enough to play the role.

We also desperately need some pace - Dow, Philp would both be handy additions and I don’t accept the assertion that Newnes/Cottrell are better on the wing than Dow.

Lots to think through because the current combination won’t get the job done against a decent side.

Reply #46

I wouldn't put much hope on Marchbank. He has a lot going for him when he is fit, but he isn't a strong physical player, something we could do with. After so many injuries, I just can't see him fulfilling his potential.

Would have said the same thing about Charlie Curnow at about this time last year! 5 goals today was handy

Reply #47
The worst bit about a win like this is you can't really sit back and watch the replay, because after half-time we were just bit players in a Port fairy-tale finish. Really don't know where we are at. Beat Richmond, who have shown they are off the mark. Beat bulldogs, who have shown thy aren't really at their peak. Beat Dawks who have shown they are pretenders. Lost to GC because we saved our worst performance to date for them. Now we've beaten Port who are 5 and zip. Still not sure if we've improved or just been lucky.

Exactly how I’m feeling. I think we have improved we are deeper in the midfield and have solid forward targets but still we can’t be relied upon to put a side on the ropes away and the better teams do this.

Apart from round one win the other 3 have had big swings and could have easily gone the other way so while I’m pleased to get another win I’m not as optimistic as many and imo we will need to improve on what we have seen to make finals.

Todays performance would not get us the points against any of the other top 8 teams and many outside the 8.

Take the points and move to next week. Freo in Perth is a tough game and will tell us a lot imo.

Reply #48
I have never seen a team that is so comprehensively brilliant, and then so totally unimaginative, all in the same game.  We are 4-1, but with a percentage of 102.  Good we have the points, but in all of the wins, we have had patches that were simply atrocious. 

After the first half heroics, I sat down to watch the second half hoping this might be the time where we really blow someone away.   Could not believe what I was watching after that.  First rule I was taught - if you have a good lead at half time, you go out there hell-bent on kicking the first two goals in the 3rd, with the aim of crushing the opposition's spirit.

The same thing has happened against the Bulldogs, Hawks and Power - we have precious little run to take the ball from one end of the ground to the other.  Also happened against the Suns, but we had no lead on the scoreboard to buffer us. Its like we lose all sense of what put us in front in the first place, and we go into some sort of defensive, stodgy mode.  If you think about it, we did the same in many games last year, but without first building the big lead.

Quite simply, we need

(1) far more backline run, ie Williams and Saad.  McGovern will help, as will Stocker.
(2) more pressure around the ball in play - centre clearances are one thing, but our long bombs to the wing come back with monotonous regularity, as we are out-worked on the ground
(3) we need more goals from the midfield - we are getting almost none because there is no dash out of the backline.
(4) a sense of ruthless hunger (not the defensive mindset that seems to happen as soon as the opposition kicks 2 or more in a row)

Can't believe that I am complaining about a 4-1 start..... 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #49
Stocker for Setterfield?
Plowman got pantsed by Breust in Round 3, and it was this that sparked them.
Not quick enough against that type of opponent, and not tall enough to match a key forward.
Not sure that we can have both Owies and Durdin in the same team, though both are contributing. Yes I remember the 3 amigos of a decade ago, or “Setanta’s little helpers”
But Jack S forward instead of one of them?

Reply #51
A win without out our Capt, take that any day.
Can we please,  PLEASE when we kick the ball to Harry or Charlie we kick it in front of them NOT on top of their heads.
Both when they have a run onto a marking contest they are almost unbeatable but when they have to just stand and try to take a mark they are easy to defend.
Both are athletic and are troubling defenders.
When the ball is kicked to where they are standing all the holding and scragging by the defenders is not seen by the umps but when they are on the move to a contest the infringements are easily picked up.
A win is a win and at 4-1 playing badly is heaps better than playing you're absolute best and just scraping over the line.
Being starved of success for so long we want it to be pretty but great teams find ways to win ugly and we are learning to win ugly.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #52
A win without out our Capt, take that any day.
Can we please,  PLEASE when we kick the ball to Harry or Charlie we kick it in front of them NOT on top of their heads.
Both when they have a run onto a marking contest they are almost unbeatable but when they have to just stand and try to take a mark they are easy to defend.
Both are athletic and are troubling defenders.
When the ball is kicked to where they are standing all the holding and scragging by the defenders is not seen by the umps but when they are on the move to a contest the infringements are easily picked up.
A win is a win and at 4-1 playing badly is heaps better than playing you're absolute best and just scraping over the line.
Being starved of success for so long we want it to be pretty but great teams find ways to win ugly and we are learning to win ugly.
Summed it up nicely, while it would be great to believe we have become a powerhouse team overnight, reality is we are still a work in progress showing some impressive glimpses of what we’re capable of but still subject to lapses that were  all to common in previous years. It will take time and they’re will be some bumps in the road but for the first time in ages we seem to be unified as a club and what we’re aiming for.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #53
Four Points: Carlton’s ‘first-world problem’, The Age.

Good article. Stating the bloomin' obvious, but doing it well and with important balance.

Yes, there is still a bit of the 'same old, same old' about our 'fades.' But our good is much better than our good of many previous years... which makes the fades all the more galling. A glaring contrast.

However, we're 5 games into a 23 game season (and hopefully more). And although some may think that the instituted changes from last year are small, they aint. Our blokes are learning a few very important differences... and culture, to previous years. And these differences involve a far greater work ethic/intensity and focus - something we've not done for years. Plus learning how to create and maintain a whole of side connect - the very foundations of cohesion.

Yes, we squander big leads, but we don't give up and this not giving up is new. These blokes want to win.

Strong change takes time. Turning a very different game plan into habit, takes time.

With the evenness of the competition the expectation of turning a seven goal lead into a twelve goal win, at this stage of our development is probably unrealistic.

Learning to handle being the hunted is new for us and will take time to learn how to expect/absorb and counter.

And as I've mentioned previously, we have an entirely new coaching group and no matter how brilliant our pre season/preparation was (and it was obviously first rate), you do your most important and effective learning in the heat of battle, and that's when the new coaches learn the most about our list.

Fortunately, our weaknesses are on full display now. And it'll take time to deal with and remove them. But I have genuine confidence in our coaching and playing group to address this effectively. We know we have the players to succeed, now they have to get used to knowing this.

Rarely does any side get to field, on any given week, its best 23. And our injury list is longer than most.

As has been said, it's better to be learning with Ws than Ls. We have plenty of Ls within games but are coming away with a W.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
Summed it up nicely, while it would be great to believe we have become a powerhouse team overnight, reality is we are still a work in progress showing some impressive glimpses of what we’re capable of but still subject to lapses that were  all to common in previous years. It will take time and they’re will be some bumps in the road but for the first time in ages we seem to be unified as a club and what we’re aiming for.

Well said. Well summarised.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #55
Would have said the same thing about Charlie Curnow at about this time last year! 5 goals today was handy
100 % correct. But Charlie is a different type of player. I hope that Marchbank can come back, but I no longer expect it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #56
There have been teams that have coasted to 4-1 on the back of an ideal preseason with few injuries only to fade when injuries mount. That's not our situation. We had a substantial injury list leading into round 1 headed by our B&F from last year and every round has brought a new set of H&S protocol omissions or significant injuries (McGovern & Cripps). It's still possible we'll fade if we cop further injuries but it's amazing we've done as well as we have given the above. 

Reply #57
100 % correct. But Charlie is a different type of player. I hope that Marchbank can come back, but I no longer expect it.

Been far too long out of the game.  He should find another career.

Reply #58
Been far too long out of the game.  He should find another career.

I saw our Test Cricket Captain out of the side for 6 years with constant injuries. You just never know.

Reply #59
There have been teams that have coasted to 4-1 on the back of an ideal preseason with few injuries only to fade when injuries mount. That's not our situation. We had a substantial injury list leading into round 1 headed by our B&F from last year and every round has brought a new set of H&S protocol omissions or significant injuries (McGovern & Cripps). It's still possible we'll fade if we cop further injuries but it's amazing we've done as well as we have given the above.

Yep. We will be a lot better with the likes of Gov, Mack, Ed C, Phillp, Cunners and Honey back in the side, although  I have my doubts over the durability of a couple.
Interesting to to best players in the reserves were all VFL listed bar from the  Plow.

Still have big concerns over our fitness guru. We don't seem to be able to run games out.
Maybe I'm old school but I hear about training blocks and workloads. Your either fit or your not.

My 5 cents