Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide  (Read 5409 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #60
We are destroying sides in the first half of games with our brutal game style. Only a matter if time before our aerobic fitness improves for us to carry it over to the 2nd half. 3 games, plus the NAB game against Melbourne we have run out to huge leads only to struggle in the 2nd half, but the fact we can run out to such leads is a massive sign. Just need the rest to come together.

Reply #61
Yep. We will be a lot better with the likes of Gov, Mack, Ed C, Phillp, Cunners and Honey back in the side, although  I have my doubts over the durability of a couple.
Interesting to to best players in the reserves were all VFL listed bar from the  Plow.

Still have big concerns over our fitness guru. We don't seem to be able to run games out.
Maybe I'm old school but I hear about training blocks and workloads. Your either fit or your not.

My 5 cents

Don't worry about the fitness guru. He has the runs on the board at Hawthorn. The game style is extremely difficult aerobically and takes games before you can fully adapt to it. Fitness isn't black or white it develops and gets better.

Reply #62
Don't worry about the fitness guru. He has the runs on the board at Hawthorn. The game style is extremely difficult aerobically and takes games before you can fully adapt to it. Fitness isn't black or white it develops and gets better.

He is found wanting and I'm far from convinced.  He ain't no guru

And well into his fourth year

Reply #63
He is found wanting and I'm far from convinced.  He ain't no guru

And well into his fourth year

Much harder, physically demanding game style. Only way you adapt to that is games. Like I said, he has the runs on the board with Hawthorn. No such thing as a guru, body gets strength and fitness in it's own time, unless you are the Weapon and Steve Dank. Some are simply better than others.

Reply #64
Yep. We will be a lot better with the likes of Gov, Mack, Ed C, Phillp, Cunners and Honey back in the side, although  I have my doubts over the durability of a couple.
Interesting to to best players in the reserves were all VFL listed bar from the  Plow.

Still have big concerns over our fitness guru. We don't seem to be able to run games out.
Maybe I'm old school but I hear about training blocks and workloads. Your either fit or your not.

My 5 cents

I've just watched the last quarter again and I can't see signs of our fitness level being a cause of our  problem.

For the first fifteen minutes it was Port wanting the ball more than we did and when they went into attack they looked to break up our defence by kicking to position.

On the other hand we went back to our old habit of total predictability by kicking long down the line on the heads of our forwards in the hope  that luck would favour us.

Fitness is not our problem, it's what is happening between the ears that needs attention.

Reply #65

The Terrier got Charlie back on the park and in career best form.  How many folk here were convinced that Charlie would never play again?

Russell deserves a contract extension just for his work with Charlie.

Imagine how good we'll be when Russell has the squad at peak fitness for the pointy end of the season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
If it were just a fitness issue, I'd think that would play out more as the 3rd Q dragged on. I can't imagine it would prevent a concerted effort in the 1st 5 minutes of Q3 after a 20 minute break.

Reply #67
The Terrier got Charlie back on the park and in career best form.  How many folk here were convinced that Charlie would never play again?

Russell deserves a contract extension just for his work with Charlie.

Imagine how good we'll be when Russell has the squad at peak fitness for the pointy end of the season.
I partly agree, but I do not get the team's apparent flatness in such extended bursts, it may not be so much physical but a mental fitness that is lacking.

Are we already looking a bit fatigued at Rnd. 5, even if it's only mental fatigue?

I won't be overly focussed on physical fitness, because in reality if Charlie hangs on to two F50 chest marks after half time and kicks straight we probably win comfortably. He got into those positions and his opponents could not go with him, so he can't be unfit, but doing the hard work then dropping the baby mark is perhaps a concentration / pressure issue. Fwiw, I think BigH dropped one as well that caused a turnover goal. They both seem to be unable to relax into the mark after having done all the hard work.

We still have a couple of kids who stand waiting for the football to come to them, it's cost us several goals over the last couple of weeks and probably adds up to a 5 or 6 goal turnaround over two games.

I think we cannot get Gov back soon enough, he brings a competency and calmness, I bet some of you didn't expect anyone to be writing that by Rnd 5!

Also, I'm a Weiters booster but he's going a bit over the top with the punching, when he is so well clear of his opponents and head and shoulders above others in contest he could clearly mark the ball and thus change some momentum. I've noticed two weeks in a row he changes from punching to marking late in games, but he'd be better off to do this dynamically for four quarters rather than in a formulaic manner which I think makes him too predictable. When he sees the opposition roving his punches he should start marking the ball more often and utilising the fact the opponents are then out of position.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
No such thing as a guru, body gets strength and fitness in it's own time

That was your label .... not mine.

Reply #69
Yesterday was hot, the footy gets greasy, probably even more slippery than when it's raining. We missed several set shots at goal from 30m out, and each time the ball seemed to slide off the foot.

Do modern AFL players not have the basic skill / knowledge of kicking the footy with the lacing down when the set shot is inside 30 - 35m range? You obviously cannot kick it as far, but making contact with the lace side means it certainly won't slide off the boot, and you are forced to kick through the footy just to get it to 40m!.

Maybe it hurts their little tootsies too much!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
Do modern AFL players not have the basic skill / knowledge of kicking the footy with the lacing down when the set shot is inside 30 - 35m range? You obviously cannot kick it as far, but making contact with the lace side means it certainly won't slide off the boot, and you are forced to kick through the footy just to get it to 40m!.

Never once kicked a Sherrin that way.  Laces out always for me

Reply #71
Never once kicked a Sherrin that way.  Laces out always for me
Was a basic skill years ago, taught to me as a junior by Lethal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
Yesterday was hot, the footy gets greasy, probably even more slippery than when it's raining. We missed several set shots at goal from 30m out, and each time the ball seemed to slide off the foot.

Maybe it hurts their little tootsies too much!

I was taught to do that only when it was bucketing down and the footy was a slippery as a greased pig.  It certainly wasn't a thing during my brief career in the sticky conditions of the QAFL.  I probably kicked the ball that way four or five times in my life  :)

Of course, we had to make do with one footy rather than the bag of footies at each end of the ground now.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
We are destroying sides in the first half of games with our brutal game style. Only a matter if time before our aerobic fitness improves for us to carry it over to the 2nd half. 3 games, plus the NAB game against Melbourne we have run out to huge leads only to struggle in the 2nd half, but the fact we can run out to such leads is a massive sign. Just need the rest to come together.
Fitness is one angle but we also seem to go cold on contesting and chasing too, I was at the game and when Powell Pepper decided to get involved after half time a few of our blokes reverted to short steps and one arm tackles when PP went hard at the ball and were waiting for the next bloke to do the hard stuff. Port started to win around the contests and thats where we got into trouble IMHO.

Reply #74
Just watching the second half again, put this in your review, Vossy

* why are so many guys slowly jogging while the ball is about to come into the area?  Get on your bike and find a contest.  Far too many uncontested marks.   We let opposition teams ping-pong down the wing with little thought of manning up.  I know some refer to it as zone defense - that's great on a basketball court, but on a footy field, it lets the opposition own the ball and squeeze us out of the contest.

* provide options when we are coming out of our defence - have a look at the replays of our kick ins, absolutely no movement, so the opposition know it is simply going to be the bail-out kick to the half back flank or a 15m deep into a pocket.  So predictable, little wonder we can't get it out of there.

* forwards - stay in front of your man for a centre bounce!  Kicks coming out of the middle are often scrambled.  Most of the half-kicks we had out of the middle were either marked by Port half-backs or easily cleaned up because they were there first.

* provide a contest in the air - if you are near a marking contest, get involved!  At least 6 times in the second half, a Port defender took an uncontested mark, with adjacent Blues players looking around wondering who was supposed to provide the contest.  I think we need another mid-size forward who can provide decent aerial competition.

* never allow both Charlie and Harry to be off the ground at the same time - our forward line becomes virtually useless, the ball gets trapped up the other end, and we can't do the interchanges.

* when you don't have the ball, you work twice as hard to get it back.  Our chasing is absolutely pedestrian.

I know we have won 4 games, but the sides we have beaten currently sit 9th, 10th, 11th and 18th, and we lost to 12th.  Heaven help us when we are up against the top half of the ladder.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?