Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide  (Read 5354 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #75
I know we have won 4 games, but the sides we have beaten currently sit 9th, 10th, 11th and 18th, and we lost to 12th.  Heaven help us when we are up against the top half of the ladder.

You do realise that Hawthorn, the Bulldogs and Richmond sit 9th, 10th and 11th BECAUSE we beat them?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #76
And the Hawks will end up in the 8 if they beat Geelong. Apart from Port, we haven't played any of the teams at the bottom of the ladder (if we split the ladder into thirds).

Reply #77
That was your label .... not mine.

It was someone else's label which I replied to as part of the "convo" as you did.

Reply #78
Fitness is one angle but we also seem to go cold on contesting and chasing too, I was at the game and when Powell Pepper decided to get involved after half time a few of our blokes reverted to short steps and one arm tackles when PP went hard at the ball and were waiting for the next bloke to do the hard stuff. Port started to win around the contests and thats where we got into trouble IMHO.

I must have been at a different game  :)

Powell-Pepper played mostly as a forward and had a couple of turns in the ruck (where the umpires let him get away with tactics that SOS was penalised for).  He used his strength quite well as a forward and was a difficult match up for our smaller defenders.  Weitering had him for a while and that enabled Finlayson, Georgiades and Marshall to cause problems for Parks and our smaller defenders, although Parks is a much improved player and generally defended well.  The idea that our blokes put in short steps because of Powell-Pepper is fanciful.

I think Vossy summed it up really well:

"The last five or six minutes of that game were extremely intense. If we lost some intensity around the ball, we somehow found it in that last five or six minutes.

It’s fair to say that we’re in that position right now where we have to learn how to win — and win properly. We’re still in that stage."

The first half was outstanding, champagne footy ... but the last six minutes produced some of the best footy our club has played for a long time.  As Vossy said, we have to learn how to win properly and that means undoing the learnings of the last decade where losing intensity and folding under pressure was the norm.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #80
If it were just a fitness issue, I'd think that would play out more as the 3rd Q dragged on. I can't imagine it would prevent a concerted effort in the 1st 5 minutes of Q3 after a 20 minute break.

Happened 4 times not including the NAB match. They may come out a bit flat after half time at 49pts up, as many sides do, but most of those goals were late in the 3rd qtr and the first half of the last. Otherwise the margin would hold or get back to 30. They are not going to just not put in after half time 4 times. That becomes a different issue.

Reply #81
Just watching the second half again, put this in your review, Vossy

* why are so many guys slowly jogging while the ball is about to come into the area?  Get on your bike and find a contest.  Far too many uncontested marks.   We let opposition teams ping-pong down the wing with little thought of manning up.  I know some refer to it as zone defense - that's great on a basketball court, but on a footy field, it lets the opposition own the ball and squeeze us out of the contest.

* provide options when we are coming out of our defence - have a look at the replays of our kick ins, absolutely no movement, so the opposition know it is simply going to be the bail-out kick to the half back flank or a 15m deep into a pocket.  So predictable, little wonder we can't get it out of there.

* forwards - stay in front of your man for a centre bounce!  Kicks coming out of the middle are often scrambled.  Most of the half-kicks we had out of the middle were either marked by Port half-backs or easily cleaned up because they were there first.

* provide a contest in the air - if you are near a marking contest, get involved!  At least 6 times in the second half, a Port defender took an uncontested mark, with adjacent Blues players looking around wondering who was supposed to provide the contest.  I think we need another mid-size forward who can provide decent aerial competition.

* never allow both Charlie and Harry to be off the ground at the same time - our forward line becomes virtually useless, the ball gets trapped up the other end, and we can't do the interchanges.

* when you don't have the ball, you work twice as hard to get it back.  Our chasing is absolutely pedestrian.

I know we have won 4 games, but the sides we have beaten currently sit 9th, 10th, 11th and 18th, and we lost to 12th.  Heaven help us when we are up against the top half of the ladder.

If you beat good sides like the Dogs, last year's GF, Richmond previous 2 year's premiers, and even Port, last 2 years PF (for what it is worth), well they will be down the ladder early in the season.

Who looked at the draw, Tigers, Dogs, Port and thought we'd be 4-1.................and our only loss would be to the GC.

Reply #82
Don't worry about the fitness guru. He has the runs on the board at Hawthorn. The game style is extremely difficult aerobically and takes games before you can fully adapt to it. Fitness isn't black or white it develops and gets better.
Spot on.

Seems to me that The Terrier has a full season approach rather than an early peak, plus players getting used to a game plan that asks more of them, physically, plus overcoming the psychological hurdle of so much losing over previous years.

Coming along gradually, though, of course, not as quickly as we supporters would like ...but creating solid foundations that endure, takes time.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #83
Loved watching a replay of the first half. Loved even more the last 10 minutes of the game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #84
Spot on.

Seems to me that The Terrier has a full season approach rather than an early peak, plus players getting used to a game plan that asks more of them, physically, plus overcoming the psychological hurdle of so much losing over previous years.

Coming along gradually, though, of course, not as quickly as we supporters would like ...but creating solid foundations that endure, takes time.
Agree there. It is a marathon, not a sprint.

That's is ok. We are not expecting miracles this year just another couple of steps. If those first halves become 3rd qtrs too and eventually 4th qtrs it'll be something to watch.

Reply #85
Keep in mind, Voss played for the Lions, whose #1 ruckman basically didn't start playing until April-May each year just so he was cherry ripe come finals time. The side from R23 onwards may look nothing like the side we see now.

Reply #86
If you beat good sides like the Dogs, last year's GF, Richmond previous 2 year's premiers, and even Port, last 2 years PF (for what it is worth), well they will be down the ladder early in the season.

Who looked at the draw, Tigers, Dogs, Port and thought we'd be 4-1.................and our only loss would be to the GC.

But in reality, the Tigers and Port are cooked - one was on the slide from halfway through last year, and the other hasn't won a single game this year.

Again, don't get me wrong, stoked to be 4-1 - but I can't help thinking if there was 5 more minutes in 3 of those games, we'd be 1-4.

The important thing is to continue improving so that when we do get into a big game against a serious contender,  we give ourselves a shot.  At least this year we re in the mix, as opposed to the last 8 or so seasons.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #87
I must have been at a different game  :)

Powell-Pepper played mostly as a forward and had a couple of turns in the ruck (where the umpires let him get away with tactics that SOS was penalised for).  He used his strength quite well as a forward and was a difficult match up for our smaller defenders.  Weitering had him for a while and that enabled Finlayson, Georgiades and Marshall to cause problems for Parks and our smaller defenders, although Parks is a much improved player and generally defended well.  The idea that our blokes put in short steps because of Powell-Pepper is fanciful.

I think Vossy summed it up really well:

"The last five or six minutes of that game were extremely intense. If we lost some intensity around the ball, we somehow found it in that last five or six minutes.

It’s fair to say that we’re in that position right now where we have to learn how to win — and win properly. We’re still in that stage."

The first half was outstanding, champagne footy ... but the last six minutes produced some of the best footy our club has played for a long time.  As Vossy said, we have to learn how to win properly and that means undoing the learnings of the last decade where losing intensity and folding under pressure was the norm.
You must have behind the lady with the big hat 🤣 PP comes through hard in the FP , think it was Newnes who froze and watched him spin around and handpass to Boak I think it was and goaled.
Weitering had a handpass smothered which was PP again, another Carlton player(can't remember who) didn't get involved when he should have and pretended to follow his man when he should have chased PP because Weitering was off balance and PP snapped a goal.
In a separate incident Setterfield dropped a sitter on the wing because either he is a lousy mark or he thought he was going to get hit and imo it's the latter because he has form for doing it previously.
PP did have a run in the ruck and we were lucky he didn't kick another goal when a lazy Pittonet couldn't be bothered picking him up. Imo PP had a real influence after half time as did Butters and it was their contested footy and our lack of contesting/chasing that contributed. Losing intensity is a pretty way of saying we played bruise free non contested footy.
Did the same with Hawthorn after half time too..imho .
Re : Parks..very ordinary player imho and his lack of nous will cost us games...same with Setterfield whose disposal and brain lapses with regards attack on the footy will cost us also.

Reply #88
Vossy said 'the last five minutes of the game were intense' - true, but only because our 30 minutes before that were highlighted by our lack of intensity, especially around the loose ball.

We were 43 points up with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd, and we started the last only 17 in front.  That 7 minutes almost cost us the game.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #89
If we don't correct these ridiculous lapses, then we're going to repeat them.  Voss should hammer it into the group at every opportunity