Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide  (Read 5311 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide

The difference between our best and worst is unbelievable, unfathomable
Disappointing win

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #1
We won and bank the points but heaps of work ahead - miles off a team that can cause damage in September.

Being 4-1  is one thing but with a percentage of just over 100 that says more about where we really are imo.

Reply #2
One of the worst wins I have witnessed, better than a loss sure but to be 50 pts up win just, horrible. You could see the boys were flat singing the song, Vossy might need to hold a 5 hr Jezza style training session on Tuesday.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Yep no enthusiasm in the song at all ...... I think they were anticipating a fair gobful from the coach, or I hope they get it, both barrels!!

Reply #4
The bright side is with those first halves it will eventually start carrying over to the 2nd half. Our style of play is hard a brutal but right now hard to play 4 qtrs with. That will come with more games as we develop more match hardness with the style. Not that dissimilar to the 2017 version of Richmond, who also played a hard, brutal style. We laughed loudly at them choking in games late mid season that year but they were simply brutal for 4 qtrs come September and for the next 3 years after. As bad as our last halves are now, those first halves are something to behold.

Reply #5
First game I’ve seen live since COVID and the result was never in doubt. The bounce of the ball and inexplicable umpiring favoured Port but we always had control of the game.

It’s hard to maintain the momentum we had in the first half and Pitto running out of puff didn’t help; two genuine ruckmen from here on please.

Parks and Cottrell were solid.  Newnes got a few touches in the first half but failed to make the most of them.  I can’t see him as a permanent fixture in the side.

Fisher was better today and had a run in the midfield for at least one centre bounce.

The defence was pretty good all day and Young is a good addition. He is clearly not happy if he loses a contest.  Newman was probably our least effective defender.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Interesting that Hinkley said in his media conference that they knew Carlton was very different in second halves to first halves.

As we've said previously, we're a work in progress. And as LAJ said, we'll learn and develop how to play this brutal brand for 4 quarters.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
A few home truths wouldn't go astray.  They sure need it after serving that up.  We'd be even more exposed (and lost it) without Hewett. 

Reply #8
Praise them - AFL matches are hard to win.

Something along the lines of " We weren't at our best, but we got the four points and that's what matters"

Keep morale up and go again.

Reply #9
Dunno,  I thought one on one we looked horribly soft back of centre.  Too many defenders go to ground too easily or play off their man by a couple of metres too much.   Williams isn't the lone ranger - get very concerned when he actually has to defend.   Powell Pepper almost did as he liked in the second half, strong bodied mid sized players we have no match up.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
Much improved game from Fisher today but how much better player would he be if he had a right foot

Reply #11
Much improved game from Fisher today but how much better player would he be if he had a right foot
Imagine Saad and Cripps with the other foot even if only half reliable, I can't believe this is a lost AFL skill!

I was actually told once at TAC Unders that it wasn't required to teach kids both sides because it wasted time and caused confusion, what a norbit!

Heath Scotland and Nathan Buckley say hello!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Special mention to Adam Saad who is fasting during Ramadan and can still perform at an elite level...... especially on such a hot day (no water!!)  Strong of mind no doubt.

Reply #13
Special mention to Adam Saad who is fasting during Ramadan and can still perform at an elite level...... especially on such a hot day (no water!!)  Strong of mind no doubt.

Had no idea about no water during ramadan  ... VERY commendable

AFL Rd 5 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #14
We won. we were lucky.
Live Long and Prosper!