Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 4782 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #90
Playing Silvagni as second ruck weakens our forward line as well as giving the opposition a free hit when Pittonet has to rest.  I don't have a problem with dropping De Koning, but cheating with Silvagni as backup ruckman should be an occasional tactic against suitable opposition.

From a glass half full perspective, SOJ gives an 'honest' contest in the ruck but once the aggot hits the grass he becomes a footy smart midfielder.

And with Pitto resting up forward when SOJ is rucking it gives Port a different headache. Pitto back in the ruck is important, very important.

TDK is struggling. His cameos this season have been exciting, but they've been just that - cameos. He'll be a champ but **cliche alert** bigger blokes takes time and we may have pushed him a little too far, too soon. Time needed.

Wrapped our best small forward is back (Durds - I feel a man crush coming on!!)... might just relieve the pressure on Fisher and Owies enough for them to step up - they'd better as Motlop and Philp are warming up nicely in the Magoos and won't want to be a dew kickers for much longer.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #91
yep surprise selections he knows they won't have match ups for whilst dropping blokes they will.  No point going with o brien against Port when they played with loose half backs rather than wingers as one example.

Whats happened to Williamson?  Sub in round 1, 4 rounds in not seen.
Not available until this weekend: he was off with Covid issues. Will be close again in a week or two.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #92
I am more than pleased using VFL for our players to improve their game. Kennedy last year, Dow this year, TDK next in line - this trend should continue. LOB is okay player with ball in hand and good honest kid.... but soft as butter.

I am also very pleased we are rewarding players for good form in VFL

Reply #93
The inclusion of Newnes and cottrell makes me think Voss knows a couple of port players who don't like a tag, and/or contested footy.
Send those 2 to a couple of players and they know they are in for a hard slog.

Tdk out, with Jack as backup makes me think port will struggle against a smaller forward line. This would explain why owies, Martin and Fisher are still in, along with durdin back as well. Go small and worry their defence.

Could it be for the first time in a long time that we have picked a side to play the opposition?

Reply #94
Hawthorn and GCS butchered us on the outside. LOB has laid one tackle in 11 quarters of football

Setterfield and Fisher are not much better than LOB and should be on thin ice.

Reply #95
Whats happened to Williamson?  Sub in round 1, 4 rounds in not seen.
He's been on the injury list for a week or 2 then copped COVID Iso for a week Thry!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
I believe we have developed a pretty good list over the past seven drafts. Over the last couple of seasons we have been hindered by having a large number of injuries as well as having long term injuries to key players. Last week we had the situation where eleven players were unavailable which has been par for the course during recent seasons, this week we are back down to five or six. This means we are able to swing the axe and bring in in form players from the twos after one and a half games of sub-par performance, which is a luxury we haven't had in the past.. I am a bit surprised by the Dow decision, though he might be the sub this week. With the twos playing well, players are able to go back down, others players are able to come back from injury through there, players are able to develop properly and others are able to find some form which is good for the whole Club. Competition for places is what you need if you are going to succeed, I am happy with the players out and I am happy with the players in. They just need to perform at the MCG on Sunday.

Reply #97
Interesting that Voss has given the tick to Weitering, that's the 3rd coach in a row to have Weiters take the reigns in the captains absence.

To me that is a significant tell, about the longer term.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
Would have been a huge disrespect if he hadn't

Reply #99
Looks like Dow is the sub.  Hope he doesn't get much game time, but if he does I hope he shows a bit.

Reply #100
Hawthorn and GCS butchered us on the outside. LOB has laid one tackle in 11 quarters of football

Setterfield and Fisher are not much better than LOB and should be on thin ice.

Five tackles for the season, same as Weitering 🤔
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball