Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 5156 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #45
To address a couple of perceived personnel issues.

I think Boyd showed why he was persisted with. Did his job yesterday. The courage early in the game to put himself under the ball and in front of running forwards and effect the mark and accept the heat was indicative of his attitude (which I've mentioned previously) and endeavour.

From round peg, square hole to round peg round hole - Zachery up the ground, more involved in the play... not solely a small forward. As someone who was critical of him, glad to be proven wrong.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
As much as you need generals, it's the growth in the troops that's encouraging.  2022 is a good platform on which to build.

Feels a damn sight better than being consigned to wondering about the next year rather than the one we're living in right now.

Reply #47
Interesting comment by Cripps in the post match pointing out the efforts of the small forwards.

"even our small forwards today, they didn't kick the goals, but you know the blocks they did, the pressure. That's the stuff a lot of people on TV don't see, but that's the stuff we highlight behind the scenes"

Reply #48
So, we beat Adelaide by 48 points but, apparently, they're rubbish and we should have beaten them by more  ::)

Yes, Adelaide have only beaten Port Adelaide, Richmond and Footscray; teams that have had our measure until this season.  Adelaide only lost to Fremantle by one point and Freo gave us a bit of a touch up.  They may have had a few players out but, as someone pointed out, we began the week with one quarter of our list out with injury.  The thing is, you can only play against the opposition that runs out on the park and we did that convincingly.  Adelaide may have outscored us in the last quarter but they didn't outplay us.

In our other games this season the gulf between our better players and those who struggle to have an an impact has been obvious. That wasn't the case yesterday with solid contributions from everyone apart from the injured Martin.  As LP pointed out, players like Silvagni, Newman, Weitering, Young, Fisher, Carroll and Walsh played very well but won't appear in the votes.  It was the most even, four quarter performance we've produced for quite a while, and I'm happy with that  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Apart from all the good stuff mentioned by other posters, I think we have a real 'flying under the radar' award winner in Lewis Young.  We may have found a 200-game replacement for Liam Jones - goes about his stuff with a minimum of fuss, great set of hands, clean with his foot skills, and executes his spoils extremely well.  Bet the Bulldogs wish they still had him.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #50
Apart from all the good stuff mentioned by other posters, I think we have a real 'flying under the radar' award winner in Lewis Young.  We may have found a 200-game replacement for Liam Jones - goes about his stuff with a minimum of fuss, great set of hands, clean with his foot skills, and executes his spoils extremely well.  Bet the Bulldogs wish they still had him.....
Nice post, was thinking same. Been good, defenders that size are not easy to get. Bevo has lost a few brain cells in recent times.I gave Young votes vs Adelaide because he was safe and secure with his marking and ball in hand plus he is showing some leadership down back and is helping Weitering who had his hands full with the unpopular but in form Walker.

Reply #51
Cerra's 50m stab passes reminds me of Nathan Buckley.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #52
I understand the odd bit of negativity and dread. We've been conditioned over a couple of decades. Imagine how the players must feel. I'm hoping our change in fortunes gives them some real motivation to not go back to the dark old days. You can see how much it means to Crippa. That bloke is hungry as hell. And rightly so. What a gun.

Reply #53
How the hell did the Dogs let him go? They're crying out for tall defenders right now. I guess it was a bit of the Paul Salmon scenario  (or the inverse of it): they wanted to make him into a ruckman and he felt he needed to leave to have a chance at carving out a career as a tall defender. In any event, assuming Young or his manager didn't make the decision independently, whoever got in Young's ear deserves a bonus.

By the way, some credit should also be given to Voss and the match committee: when Pitt went down, shifting Young into the ruck to help out TdK would have been tempting (and some of us suggested it). They've stuck to their guns and allowed Young to settle into a vital role.

Reply #54

Has the 'natural order of things been' restored.

Some people are getting upset with other folks who are upset we didn't win by more. ;D

I reckon that's a pretty good position for us to be in :)

Reply #55
I think Young still needs to put on a couple of kg’s, but I think he’s edging ahead of O’mac.
O’mac getting fit again will be good for us.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #56

Absolutely!

And despite his fresh-faced appearance and quick smile, there's a bit of hardness about young Lewis.

I think that he and Weiters will be the cornerstones of our defence for many seasons to come.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #57
Interesting comment by Cripps in the post match pointing out the efforts of the small forwards.

"even our small forwards today, they didn't kick the goals, but you know the blocks they did, the pressure. That's the stuff a lot of people on TV don't see, but that's the stuff we highlight behind the scenes"
My ears pricked up when I heard that as I made the comment in the in game thread that Owies and Durdin owed us a bit given their last few weeks. Bu there you go, they are doing stuff that is highly rated internally but not seen as "sexy" by people like me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
I said the same thing to my mate at work this morning. IMO he has been a more than an adequate replacement for Jones, he has more polish and better decision making.
This same workmate, who coaches local footy,  posed the question "Who do you think your most important player is right now?"
I had thought about this yesterday during the game so I quickly replied Jack Silvagni expecting an uppercut. He said "spot on" given the role(s) he is asked to play week in week out (especially in the absense of Pitto).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #59
Cerra's 50m stab passes reminds me of Nathan Buckley.
LOB's kicking was what impressed me again yesterday but yes Cerra was elite yesterday.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th