Skip to main content
Topic: Kyrgios (Read 4851 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kyrgios

Reply #30
True, but there is always an extenuating circumstance offered as an excuse, even for Kyrgios and Tomic, but it won't save them!

Life being tough or feeling persecuted isn't a license to be a C@#$!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Kyrgios could be up against Norrie. Australia vs GBR in the final.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #32
Djokovic needs a 10 minute toilet break right now …

Reply #33
True, but there is always an extenuating circumstance offered as an excuse, even for Kyrgios and Tomic, but it won't save them!

Life being tough or feeling persecuted isn't a license to be a C@#$!
Kyrgios doesn't come across as a kent to me, Tomic does, a dumb one at that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
Kyrgios doesn't come across as a kent to me,
He might not be 24x7, but he has his moments!

Perhaps the major difference is that we all have moments at times, but most people remain a bit humble and apologise for indiscretions, this seems to be a feature commonly lacking in many professional sports people. They seem to have taken the positivity high confidence mindset thing a bit too far to become "never wrong"!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Your insinuation that Kyrgios has never apologised is wrong.

Reply #36
He might not be 24x7, but he has his moments!

Perhaps the major difference is that we all have moments at times, but most people remain a bit humble and apologise for indiscretions, this seems to be a feature commonly lacking in many professional sports people. They seem to have taken the positivity high confidence mindset thing a bit too far to become "never wrong"!
Again, I disagree but that's ok. I reckon he has admitted many times that he is far from perfect. But he also says he won't pretend to be some one who he isn't (what you see is what you get). I do however agree with his comments around the lack of support from past Aussie players. In this country, we are happy to give armed robbers, drug dealers, rapists and pedos a fair go and a second chance, but young sports people who's crime is acting like flogs from time to time are persona non grata for life.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #37
Again, I disagree but that's ok. I reckon he has admitted many times that he is far from perfect. But he also says he won't pretend to be some one who he isn't (what you see is what you get). I do however agree with his comments around the lack of support from past Aussie players. In this country, we are happy to give armed robbers, drug dealers, rapists and pedos a fair go and a second chance, but young sports people who's crime is acting like flogs from time to time are persona non grata for life.

Yes, it's poor form for past players not to support Nick.  I guess quite a few are just a little jealous that he has made it this far.

It's going to be a big ask but, if anyone can beat Djoker, it's Nick.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
Yes, it's poor form for past players not to support Nick.  I guess quite a few are just a little jealous that he has made it this far.

It's going to be a big ask but, if anyone can beat Djoker, it's Nick.
Djoker was very average last night from all reports, said he is worried about playing Nick. Hopefully the fresher Nick wins.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
I watched the game Djokovic vs Norrie and Djokovic was very slow to start and both struggled to hold their service games early in the first set. They both missed simple shots throughout the entire match. Djokovic had moments of brilliance and moments of complete poor form. His match against Kyrgios will be a toss of the coin as a result. It could go either way. The player that has the better service game accuracy with their first serve will win the match. My stomach feeling is it is 55/45% in favour of the Serb. He has had more experience in hard battles and has played more tennis at Wimbledon. However nothing is certain but taxes and death. So toss a coin to take a guess yourselves.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #40
Novak tried to overpower Norrie in the 1st set but then took the pace off the ball and challenged Norrie to generate his own pace. Norrie couldn’t. As the commentators noted, Norrie has lots of topspin on the forehand but a very flat stroke on the backhand. Neither is ideal when it comes to blasting the ball past a human wall like Novak. The rope-a-dope strategy won’t work against Nick.

Reply #41
 I also never realised Djoker has never taken a set off Kyrgios.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
Djokovic was not convincing against a 115 mph server in Norrie, I think he'll find dealing with 125+ mph very difficult. It is going to be pretty warm and Djokovic doesn't like excessive heat. Kyrgios might have his moments and regret some past actions but what he does with kids and his NK Foundation, how he supports his mates ( great article in todays Age from his ex agent) and how he single-handedly motivated the tennis world to donate millions to the bushfire appeal a few years ago, is undeniable. He is providing an aging sport with a bit of 21st century piazzas! Last January, he and Kokkinakis made doubles tennis the hottest ticket in town (besides Barty) and produced an atmosphere that got a whole new generation of tennis fans queuing up to get a seat. There is not one tournament director in the world who would deny Kyrgios a wild card entry to their tournament......and make no mistake, the AELTC here at Wimbledon are delighted he has made the final!! 

Reply #43
No way Kyrgios deserves to win Wimbledon, or any other Slam. He’s spent his whole career as the consummate unprofessional, disrespected his opponents, officials, fans, the media, the game and the institution of tennis, and ultimately himself. There are plenty of lesser players who take their careers more seriously, merely to eke out an existence on the lower tours, for less money and in worse conditions. He’s been given the keys to the kingdom in terms of talent, and carries on like something from Ali G central casting. Hopefully the tennis Gods have some good sense and a more merit based approach, and won’t be entrusting their most precious jewel to this serial underachiever and major league goofball.

I see no reason why immaturity, indifference, petulance and unprofessionalism should be rewarded, even if such reward comes from a compromised tournament, with several top players banned / injured, and no points on offer.

The fact that he is supposedly a super loyal friend and also Humanitarian of the Year is irrelevant in this context. Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and others also give time and money to charity. 

If he was from somewhere else, he would be as disliked as Djokovic, and nobody on here would give him the time of day.

Reply #44
That’s an odd perspective. I thought the player who deserves to win Wimbledon should be the one who wins all his matches there this year. Now, that player might not deserve to hold the ATP’s World No. 1 ranking as that requires consistency and professional attitudes to training and rehab as well as a lot of hard work, but that’s quite another thing.

Ironically, Djokovic is coached by Goran Ivanisevic. Goran broke Australian hearts by beating Pat Rafter in the Wimbledon final in 2001. He was ranked 126 in the world at the time and didn’t qualify for direct entry to the tournament: he needed a wildcard to enter. Of course, he was unseeded as Nick is this year. He was known for his big serve, attacking style and was known for on-court tantrums and the volatility of his performance. He was once defaulted from a match when he smashed all his racquets. I’m guessing he’ll be seeing a younger version of himself playing his current charge. And if Nick wins, he’d be the last person on earth who would say Nick didn’t deserve the title.