Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs GWS (Read 3615 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 19 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
I noticed that too.
Should be a minimum requirement. Embarrassing for the club. He should have to recite until he gets it right before joining in training. A bit like the skin folds idea. He's been on the list a couple of years.

Likewise. Really stood out that he didn't know the words, or couldn't be stuffed. Came in at the end okay so I suspect just doesn't know the words. Not a good look and guess who will have homework and then have to sing the club song in front of his team mates  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
@LP
One very good thing is, when things go wrong as they still do, we are not dropping heads much anymore.

This was the most painful part of being a Blues supporter over the past decade and 3 coaches 😞
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Althought it cures another problem, the basis for my comment has nothing to do with the song (which was embarrassing to watch), I just reckon he isn't good enough.

He's just a kid mate.

Reply #18
Honey is most definitely an asset for our side - he’s still picking up the tempo of AFL having missed most of the year through injury. He could easily be our most dangerous small forward cone finals time and nobody (apart from perhaps Saad) comes close to his closing speed. It seems that the match committee agrees.

Reply #19
My final comment will piss people off, but i am happy to revist and requote at the end of the year for those who are going to abuse me now.  Here it is:  "We will not make finals in 2022" after losing this pathetic game to Richmond.  I'm serious.  We need 4 more wins.  Where are they comming from ?  Maybe WC is one.  Maybe.  Adelaide?  Good luck with that on their ground.  Rest of them... doubtful.    We had an easy draw and bathed in the glory. 

One to go.

Reply #21
Thought we went through the motions, expected to win and did.
Plenty of teams get tripped up in those circumstances but we got the chockies.
On to next week…………….

Reply #22
BTW, someone needs to teach Honey the words to the song. He got very lost in the middle there and clearly doesn't know the words.
We could always trade him to St Kilda. Even an absolute moron can remember the 14 words to their song 😂

Reply #23
@LP
One very good thing is, when things go wrong as they still do, we are not dropping heads much anymore.

This was the most painful part of being a Blues supporter over the past decade and 3 coaches 😞

Spot on, haven't thrown in the towel this year once.

But these lapses ::) Too many periods of buggerizing about, must become more efficient. Delivery into the forward line still needs more thought. Unless someone like Saadie is delivering, too many others just bomb it in. Watch how Charles set it up for H when he kicked to him late in the game. FFS kick to where the bloke is going, or should be going, not on top of his fckng head! Happens too often... lowering the eyes will help to bring in smaller forwards as well.

Crippa - no more hero attempts at kicking a banana on the run... shelve it. Set shot, drop punt or give it off. Everything else - magnificent.

Setters - love your quick hands, positioning, spoiling, but the kicking needs urgent attention. No more kicks and hope.

Motlop - get the basics right before trying for MOTY.

We should have won by around 8gls. The Midgets are a rabble. Have to be more efficient between mids and forwards and steady in front of goals against the Croweaters.

Don't get the Honey criticisms. Some of his subtle work is sublime. Reads the game well, has a great burst of speed but is still regaining touch after a long injury time lay off. Give him time... and the club theme song lyrics.

Effort cannot be questioned.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #24
Winning would be easier if Cripps, Big H and Charlie could sort out their kicking styles when taking set shots for goal.

Maybe they could look at Cottrell's approach - minimum of fuss, kick through the ball, and a goal results.

Reply #25
He's just a kid mate.
We have many kids, his asset is speed (supposedly) and he doesn't use it anywhere near enough. He should be laying chase down tackle after chase down tackle. Watch Maurice Rioli Jnr, also a kid, use his blistering speed to terrorise and chase down. Honey should be using that asset to terrorise defenders. I know he is older but watch Saady use it to tackle and get to contests, its all about intent which has nothing to do with experience IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
Winning would be easier if Cripps, Big H and Charlie could sort out their kicking styles when taking set shots for goal.

Maybe they could look at Cottrell's approach - minimum of fuss, kick through the ball, and a goal results.
Cripps, especially.
H has got it reasonably sorted: he goes around the body from one side and drop punts from the other. He needs to get the distance of the round-the-body stuff sorted.
Cripps' shot from long range with the drop punt was perfect. Should be the way he kicks at goal all of the time. That is what he did against Richmond in Round 1. I don't mind him trying to go around the corner when the angle is poor, but if he kicks through the like he does from distance, then he's on a winner.
Charlie: I'm not sure where Charlie is with his kicking. He's the one who needs to get a routine down.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
Delivery into the forward line still needs more thought. Unless someone like Saadie is delivering, too many others just bomb it in. Watch how Charles set it up for H when he kicked to him late in the game. FFS kick to where the bloke is going, or should be going, not on top of his fckng head! Happens too often... lowering the eyes will help to bring in smaller forwards as well.
Agree.

Maybe i was ahead of the game as a kid, maybe there are just some very dumb footballers now, but i learned pretty early on that no matter where the football is, the players will move towards it. So when i was delivering the ball to someone, by hand or by foot, i had a better view of what was around them ( i could see the sides and behind) than what they could (looking at me with the ball).
So i would put the ball to an area that they could easily move towards and made it hard for the opposition to get there first.
I would tell where i wanted the player to be based on where i put the football.
I used this skill in a pack, never handballed to someones chest, but to the side (or over their head) so that they would go run to get it, and continue running.
I used this skill delivering to forwards, best spot to get an uncontested mark.
I used this skill in defence, best spot for a player to get the ball further up field....like running onto it.

For the life of me i cannot understand why this seems to be missing from the modern game for the majority of players.

This skill is something i saw in Cripps in a pre-draft highlights and some may remember me pushing his barrow to be drafted very early on. Its something we see with Jack Silvagni. Gibbs had it. Walsh has it.

TBH, its something different about this team (for the most part) that we haven't seen in a long time. They are actually doing it.
Its usually from the midfielders in contested situations. A quick handball out into space. Between the legs of an opponent, over the head of an opponent, but always into space that we are running onto. Look at games this year, vs last year vs anything since Diesel was playing.

Unfortunately, we haven't really used that with our entries inside 50.
I recall 2 today.

The Charlie to Harry one highlighted above.....and Saad to Cottrell running towards goal.
Putting the ball to our advantage and/or the oppositions disadvantage is a skill that i'm not sure can be taught, but should be a pre-requisite for any AFL player at this level. When it occurs, it stands out.

Reply #28
Charlie: I'm not sure where Charlie is with his kicking. He's the one who needs to get a routine down.

Charlie doesn't like to think about it. He does better on instinct.
Mark the ball...back a few steps, swing around onto the right on launch it flat, long and deep.
Sometimes, he plays on too quick and into trouble.
He is not a bad set shot, but he feels more natural playing on and swinging around onto his right.

I suspect it will be a focus over the off-season. Previously, he's just been more focused on getting his body up to AFL standard.

Reply #29
Cripps, especially.
H has got it reasonably sorted: he goes around the body from one side and drop punts from the other. He needs to get the distance of the round-the-body stuff sorted.
Cripps' shot from long range with the drop punt was perfect. Should be the way he kicks at goal all of the time. That is what he did against Richmond in Round 1. I don't mind him trying to go around the corner when the angle is poor, but if he kicks through the like he does from distance, then he's on a winner.
Charlie is the least of our worries from a goal kicking point of view I reckon, he is leading the Coleman after all.
His goal from 50+ out, albeit from in front, travelled low and flat and went about 10 rows back, Dunstall even commented on it.
Crippas effort was shocker, commentators said he was going at about 40% efficiency by foot, just go back, use your routine and kick a drop punt Skip. I would rather he miss with that than the stupid around the corner kick from that distance and angle.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time