Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs GWS (Read 3697 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 19 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
Cripps, especially.
H has got it reasonably sorted: he goes around the body from one side and drop punts from the other. He needs to get the distance of the round-the-body stuff sorted.
Cripps' shot from long range with the drop punt was perfect. Should be the way he kicks at goal all of the time. That is what he did against Richmond in Round 1. I don't mind him trying to go around the corner when the angle is poor, but if he kicks through the like he does from distance, then he's on a winner.
Charlie: I'm not sure where Charlie is with his kicking. He's the one who needs to get a routine down.

I expect the coaches to grill and drill them this pre season. But thats only a small part in overall game plan defence has been exceptional almost all year - and we need a stingy defence to win finals

Reply #31
GWS are garbage and one of the softest teams going around so I wouldnt get too carried away with todays game, we got the 4 points and came home well which is a positive but I didnt find too many outstanding players when the game was up for grabs apart from Saad who was best on the ground by a country mile.
Coniglio is the worst 1.2 mill a year player I have seen and Himmelberg about the softest KP player, saw the latter pull up in a contest and if I was Mcveigh I would have ripped him straight off the ground.
TDK was good value like he always is vs Pruess and even Jack was able to push the big blouse out of the road at times, honestly if Malcom Blight thought Pittman was pathetic he would have had a field day with big Brayden who played with the physicality of a macca's soft serve on a 40 degree day.
Setterfield still doesnt do much for me as a footballer and ok he got a few touches today but the opposition was about as weak as it gets and I'd want to see a whole lot more from him before I pencilled his name in our best 22 for the finals, his kicking is my major concern with him under pressure.
Two players who I did like were LOB and Cottrell who are probably our best bets on the wings and need to be persisted with, was never a fan of LOB but he has won me over to an extent and I now consider him a reliable footballer as is Cottrell who for a U18 no name tagger continues to get the job done each week...nice recruiting from SOS.
McGovern made a useful return which was handy as I feel Young has been slightly off the last couple of weeks and Weitering is still working his way back to his best form.
I dont mind Josh Honey as he has some X factor but he has to do more to hold his spot especially vs the lower teams and you would probably go for Martin ahead of him for finals if he doesnt show more vs another dud team in the Crows next game.
We are still missing Owies and while TDK was good again today we need Pittonet back next week to tune up for the finals and have that option of TDK down forward as well as to give the kid a rest not that he needed it vs the opposition he had today.
Taranto played like a bloke on the way out and I wouldnt mind finding out what Hopper wants in terms of money although I believe Geelong and Richmond are already fighting over his signature....

Reply #32
BTW, someone needs to teach Honey the words to the song. He got very lost in the middle there and clearly doesn't know the words.
ive noticed this for our last few wins.

Not only doesn't he know the words but it looks like he isn't interested in learning them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
One of those wins where you take 4 points but little comfort. In addition to the outs I mentioned earlier, I forgot no Jesse Hogan, no Whitfield, and most significantly, no Tom Green.

Reply #34
One of those wins where you take 4 points but little comfort. In addition to the outs I mentioned earlier, I forgot no Jesse Hogan, no Whitfield, and most significantly, no Tom Green.
For the first time in a long time, we came up against a team with more injuries than us.
We have been able to win with a huge list of injuries (we still do have a decent injury list) so lets not feel too sorry for the opposition.

For the record....
Pittonet
Hewitt
Williams
....is probably more significant than the 3 you mentioned.
but also...
Owies
Martin
McDonald
E. Curnow
Cuningham
Boyd
S. Durdin
Parks
Philp

....and the loss of Williamson

Reply #35
Have I got this right? Knowing there are still several moving parts.

To play finals we need 2 more wins.

If so, we'll be favoured but not guaranteed v Crows at home. What other game do you see us winning?
Dees
Pies
Lions at home
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #36

If so, we'll be favoured but not guaranteed v Crows at home. What other game do you see us winning?
Dees
Pies
Lions at home
Season starts again, we win all 4 ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37

Dees
Pies
Lions at home
I literally just answered this before in another thread...
https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=6018.msg370374#new

Reply #38
I literally just answered this before in another thread...
https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=6018.msg370374#new

What a great description.

My question remains. Who do we beat to make finals?
Henry Ford.

Reply #39
Cripps, especially.
H has got it reasonably sorted: he goes around the body from one side and drop punts from the other. He needs to get the distance of the round-the-body stuff sorted.
Cripps' shot from long range with the drop punt was perfect. Should be the way he kicks at goal all of the time. That is what he did against Richmond in Round 1. I don't mind him trying to go around the corner when the angle is poor, but if he kicks through the like he does from distance, then he's on a winner.
Charlie: I'm not sure where Charlie is with his kicking. He's the one who needs to get a routine down.

true we do have lenty of kids - but a good kid stands out on how many contests he gets involved and Honey gets involved in plenty with power and determination - he is not a red time junky and think match commitee like that.

Reply #40
What a great description.

My question remains. Who do we beat to make finals?
Potentially, we don't need to beat anyone.

We certainly don't need to worry about winning 2.

Win against Adelaide and we there would have to be a disastrous scenario like teams beating Geelong to force us out of finals.

Reply #41
Season starts again, we win all 4 ;)

That would be something else. Can but  dream 🤞
Henry Ford.

Reply #42

Dees
Pies
Lions at home
Collingwood...overhyped bunch of honest battlers in the main who McRae has extracted max value and effort from most weeks but imo are well short of us in terms of talent and a lot of the other top 8 teams and are due to crash and burn in the next few weeks as their luck runs out..

Reply #43
true we do have lenty of kids - but a good kid stands out on how many contests he gets involved and Honey gets involved in plenty with power and determination - he is not a red time junky and think match commitee like that.

I find it funny that you are pumping up Honeys tyres but have been critical of our small forwards week in, week out.
Today was one of Honeys best games. Durdin and Motlop were far from their best.

However....

Honey - 14 touches, 14 pressure acts, 1 tackle, 83m gained, 2 I50's, 1.1
Durdin - 6 touches, 14 pressure acts, 3 tackles, 147m gained, 1 I50's, 1.0
Motlop - 5 touches, 13 pressure acts, 2 tackles, 3m gained, 0 I50's, 0.0

Small forwards are required to bring pressure.....and they are all doing that.

For comparison, here is the same stats for last week against Cats...
Honey - sub
Durdin - 9 touches, 10 pressure acts, 0 tackles, 112m gained, 2 I50's, 0.0
Motlop - 11 touches, 22 pressure acts, 5 tackles, 53m gained, 1 I50's, 1.0

and the week before against Eagles....
Honey - 4 touches, 10 pressure acts, 1 tackle, 1m gained, 2 I50's, 0.0
Durdin - 10 touches, 12 pressure acts, 5 tackles, 206m gained, 1 I50's, 2.1
Motlop - 11 touches, 13 pressure acts, 2 tackles, 85m gained, 0 I50's, 0.1

Over the last 3 games(or 2 for Honey), averages are as follows....
Honey - 9 touches, 12 pressure acts, 1 tackle, 42m gained, 2 I50's, 0.5-0.5
Durdin - 8.3 touches, 12 pressure acts, 2.7 tackles, 155m gained, 1.3 I50's, 1.0-0.3
Motlop - 9 touches, 16 pressure acts, 3 tackles, 47m gained, 0.3 I50's, 0.3-0.3

So tell me, why is Honey so good, but the rest of our small forwards so bad?

Reply #44
Durdin misses Owies imho and they work well together along with Fisher who spends time forward and on the ball.
For me Honey is competing with Martin and I regard both of them as medium forwards rather than smalls...
Motlop is a handy apprentice as a small forward.