Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs GWS (Read 3612 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 19 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs GWS

Reply #60
4 pts against bottom side with 5 players missing nothing really stands out ,we still have same problems 1 our kicking in from FB pathetic straight to contest on a wing ball comes straight back (exactly like coll game ) 2 we move ball so slow ,then our player goes back and bomb it long ,For finals we need to CHANGE. 

Reply #61
A six goal win is a good win against any opposition ... and GWS has some talent.

My seat is on Level 2 at the Lockett End, about midway between the 50m line and the behind post.  That gives me a pretty good view of our defensive setup when the opposition is attacking down the line on the western side of the ground.  Our sliding defence is very effective when the players are switched on - as they were for most of the game.  Plowman's role in ensuring that our defenders had picked up the right opponent was interesting in that he was more active than Doc or Weiters.  Apart from that, Plow played another very good game, as did all of our defenders.  They did have lots of help from O'Brien, Cottrell and Setterfield, all three of whom also had an impact at the other end with goals and goal assists.  I think that the three of them combined for 21 score involvements.  O'Brien's boots must have had a reflective sole and they looked like the kids' shoes that flash when they walk.  I guess you can get away with that if your getting plenty of the ball and hitting targets.

Cripps was very good despite his kicking yips - and he wasn't the only one who struggled with disposals.  Cripps generally had an opponent hanging off him but he managed to create space for his teammates.  His marking around the ground was good and he also did a lot of ruckwork against Preuss.  It's hard to get clearances when you're competing for hitouts against a bigger opponent.

Motlop, Durdin and Honey applied a tonne of forward pressure and caused rushed kicks out of defence.  Honey started to lead more as the game went on and he led with intent.  He will continue to improve as will his execution of that most important skill; singing the club song - what a crock! 

Durdin's goal was a cracker.

Apart from heart palpitations when Walsh and then Weiters went down, it was a very enjoyable day at the footy  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #62
4 pts against bottom side with 5 players missing nothing really stands out ,we still have same problems 1 our kicking in from FB pathetic straight to contest on a wing ball comes straight back (exactly like coll game ) 2 we move ball so slow ,then our player goes back and bomb it long ,For finals we need to CHANGE. 
Funny you mention kicking in from FB, is it just me or does anyone else have their heart in their mouth when Weiters has the ball and is about to kick? Lately his field kicking has been abit off at times.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Just watched the replay. I noticed:
- we change tempo at important times
- our free flowing fwd charge is poetry in motion
- umpiring was ok
- very cohesive team
- doing more of the small things to help the ball carrier i.e. Fisher
- fwd pressure was fabulous Honey, Durds, Motlop
- Wingers stamping their worth
- Fisher relishing in his role
- McG return ok + allowed others to show some dare & flair
- Mids down on clearance but managed to wrestle back possession
- Defense becoming more attacking
- Leadership density increasing
- H & Charlie building chemistry
- TDK & SOS doing great job around the ground
- When our pressure was up it was gruelling
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #64
Funny you mention kicking in from FB, is it just me or does anyone else have their heart in their mouth when Weiters has the ball and is about to kick? Lately his field kicking has been abit off at times.

Used to be one of our most reliable kicks of the footy and would lazer it around the ground.  Has been struggling with confidence more than anything else this season I think.  An unsettled defense will do that.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65

Not me!  I always feel relaxed when Weiters has the pill, even if his form post injury hasn't been up to his usual lofty standards.

Weiters shanks the odd kick but his disposal efficiency was 93% on Sunday.  I wish some of our other players were as bad as Weiters  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
I wish some of our other players were as bad as Weiters  :)
Yes, it's easy to remember the odd shank, they stand out when on average you are above average.

I mentioned earlier this season, when fans were discussing the desire to see Jones return, we haven't missed his disposal, as much as we miss Jones significant mark and intercept ability, our D50 improvement is partially due to the reduced numbers of clangers and better  / tougher selection of targets on the way out.

Weitering and McGovern together are a class above, they pick out targets at range, sometimes it will go wrong but it will also open the opposition right up on many occasions. And if Marchbank comes back, who is another elite kick, we could be in for a hell of a ride at the back end of the season! They will force opponents to cover a wider area because they hit targets at +50m.

I'd also love to see Stocker back in that mix, with perhaps Williams, Doc and Saad operating as the run, Plowman and Newman off the bench. We might find we need Doc and Williams to take midfield rotations but even then we can't fit them all in.

Can't fit em all in, there isn't a lot of weakness in that list of players, how long since we could write that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
Yes, it's easy to remember the odd shank, they stand out when on average you are above average.

I mentioned earlier this season, when fans were discussing the desire to see Jones return, we haven't missed his disposal, as much as we miss Jones significant mark and intercept ability, our D50 improvement is partially due to the reduced numbers of clangers and better  / tougher selection of targets on the way out.

Weitering and McGovern together are a class above, they pick out targets at range, sometimes it will go wrong but it will also open the opposition right up on many occasions. And if Marchbank comes back, who is another elite kick, we could be in for a hell of a ride at the back end of the season! They will force opponents to cover a wider area because they hit targets at +50m.

I'd also love to see Stocker back in that mix, with perhaps Williams, Doc and Saad operating as the run, Plowman and Newman off the bench. We might find we need Doc and Williams to take midfield rotations but even then we can't fit them all in.

Can't fit em all in, there isn't a lot of weakness in that list of players, how long since we could write that!
Cant see Williams getting a game even when fit, things have changed and he is surplus imho and wouldnt have him in our best 22.
Same with Martin unless we have injuries and then you might consider them both although their pay packets may do the talking and get them a game..

Reply #68

You'll find that I didn't make any comment about the Jones 'loss.' His enormous up side was amply counterbalanced by his ability to hand the aggott back to the opposition. Blokes who cannot be relied upon by foot in this side (Setters?) stand out like dogs dusters.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #69
You'll find that I didn't make any comment about the Jones 'loss.' His enormous up side was amply counterbalanced by his ability to hand the aggott back to the opposition. Blokes who cannot be relied upon by foot in this side (Setters?) stand out like dogs dusters.

Setters went at 83% on Sunday  :)

Cripps went at 56% and still got 6 votes in the AFLCA award (I had him in my Jim Parks votes, as did most other voters).  Crippa's missed targets didn't really hurt us beyond breaking chains of possessions.  Kicking straight to an opponent in their forward 50 or in a wide open corridor is another matter.

Not only did our defence win or neutralise most of GWS's forward 50 entries, they made excellent use of the pill and set up chains of possession.  You can't complain about Plowman (100%), Weitering (93%), Saad (92%) and Young (91%), all of whom got high distinctions.  McGovern (80%), and Newman (78) and Docherty (77) weren't far off with distinctions.

Saad's kicking is super elite when you consider that it's usually done at top speed, under pressure and can hit targets at up to 90° from the direction he's heading  :o

Reply #70

Not only did our defence win or neutralise most of GWS's forward 50 entries, they made excellent use of the pill and set up chains of possession.  You can't complain about Plowman (100%), Weitering (93%), Saad (92%) and Young (91%), all of whom got high distinctions.  McGovern (80%), and Newman (78) and Docherty (77) weren't far off with distinctions.

I guess you can see why our defence is ranked numero uno right now.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #71
I guess you can see why our defence is ranked numero uno right now.

We haven’t had 100 points kicked against us this season.  It happened nine times last season. That’s a huge improvement!

Reply #72
We haven’t had 100 points kicked against us this season.  It happened nine times last season. That’s a huge improvement!
Defences win premierships DJ.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #73
Setters went at 83% on Sunday  :)

He often kicks poorly (awkward floaters, scrubbers or out on the full) when under pressure because he is slow getting his foot to the ball - there wasn't much pressure on Sunday.