Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 4930 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #15
Not according to afl.com.au, but it isn't like these people have been wrong before.
Looked up the TV Guide.. Footy is on at 7pm.

Reply #16
 Geelong v Western Bulldogs at 7pm on Saturday (Channel 7)

Reply #17
Ch9 News reports Walsh and Weitering have been cleared of injury after the Giants game but George Hewett will miss again with the back injury, an injury that will continue to make him a week by week proposition for the remainder of the season.

Reply #18
Ch9 News reports Walsh and Weitering have been cleared of injury after the Giants game but George Hewett will miss again with the back injury, an injury that will continue to make him a week by week proposition for the remainder of the season.
Is this not the moment we've been preparing Paddy Dow for?

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen.

Give him a go now and watch him explode.

Reply #19

Give him a go now and watch him explode.
I'd say he's on the trade table, because that is the only thing that explains why he isn't being given a run.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
I'd say he's on the trade table, because that is the only thing that explains why he isn't being given a run.
People will be enquiring, and we'd be listening.
But to not play him now would be to the detriment of the team IMO.

Plenty of guys have been talked back in from the ledge. Until he jumps, there is still hope.

Reply #21

Plenty of guys have been talked back in from the ledge. Until he jumps, there is still hope.
I didn't get to see all of the last VFL game, I should watch the replay, but from what I've seen this season Dow still plays more like Motlop than his other AFL team-mates / counterparts, and I suspect that holds Dow back. It's not what he does when the ball is in range in front of him, it's what he doesn't do when we do not have the footy that I think is costing Dow a spot!

Fans won't see it, they see the contest at the footy, but coaches won't miss it because they see everything!

In this regard you and I had this very same discussion about another Carlton player who was a bit like this in years gone by, how things have changed, I agree they can change for Dow as well. He won't find a better example of that the person he should look up to!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22

Yep. Dowie had a couple of glaring holes in his game, that, apparently he's been working hard on. For those who saw his last game against the Midgets VFL team, saw more layers to his game. Probably his best game in terms of influence and 'team'.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #23
I didn't get to see all of the last VFL game, I should watch the replay, but from what I've seen this season Dow still plays more like Motlop than his other AFL team-mates / counterparts, and I suspect that holds Dow back. It's not what he does when the ball is in range in front of him, it's what he doesn't do when we do not have the footy that I think is costing Dow a spot!

Fans won't see it, they see the contest at the footy, but coaches won't miss it because they see everything!

In this regard you and I had this very same discussion about another Carlton player who was a bit like this in years gone by, how things have changed, I agree they can change for Dow as well. He won't find a better example of that the person he should look up to!

If Dow played like Motlop, he’d be in the 22.  Motlop is always at or near the top of the pressure acts tally, along with Durdin and Honey  (in Owies absence).

Dow had a relatively quiet game against GWS but kicked two goals (he was tagged). His clearance work is generally good, he links up well but his disposal sometimes lets him down.  Clearly, there’s something missing that he needs to address if he is to make the 22.  I think that it’s lack of defensive effort and a one dimensional game that’s got him 7th or 8th on our midfield pecking order.

O’Keefe had him playing as a high half forward earlier in the season but that didn’t work. 

I’m sure that Dow knows exactly what he needs to do to get a game.  He must be pretty close if he’s regularly named as an emergency (although there weren’t many other options for a while) but there must be a box he hasn’t ticked yet.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
Dow has no desire to chase down defensively just not good enough at AFL level hope to be proven wrong.

Reply #25
It's as simple as Dow's disposal is not as good as the guys selected ahead of him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #26
Dow has no desire to chase down defensively just not good enough at AFL level hope to be proven wrong.
Dow still plays U18 football, O'Brien for example has changed how he played and understands senior footy is about pressure acts as well as being on the end of some cheap ball and the good players are still doing something when they don't have the ball.

Reply #27
If Dow played like Motlop, he’d be in the 22.  Motlop is always at or near the top of the pressure acts tally, along with Durdin and Honey  (in Owies absence).
Again, not when the ball isn't around him.

When the ball isn't in range of a possession Motlop is pretty ordinary, Durdin and Owies work their guts out to control and close up the space around them, Motlop is a spectator. In this regard Dow and Motlop are similar. You find Durdin and Owies chasing to FB to defend a score despite both playing FP.

Motlop is a newbie he has an excuse, Dow has been in the system years and years! Dow spent seasons under BB who is considered an A-Grade defence first development coach, yet the aspect of Dow's game that lets him down is defence! Mind you Dow isn't the first or last to suffer this sort of criticism, some will just never have it!

It looks to me like under Voss effort is a non-negotiable, maybe Motlop gets a free pass as a newbie and Dow doesn't!

I remember about this time last season fans on this very site arguing with Kruddler and myself about our criticisms of Cripps not chasing, now we can no longer make that same criticism, yet I suspect some fans will still deny there was ever an issue! For me it's an example of how players of any stature can change, the why is irrelevant!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Again, not when the ball isn't around him.

When the ball isn't in range of a possession Motlop is pretty ordinary, Durdin and Owies work their guts out to control and close up the space around them, Motlop is a spectator. In this regard Dow and Motlop are similar. You find Durdin and Owies chasing to FB to defend a score despite both playing FP.

Motlop is a newbie he has an excuse, Dow has been in the system years and years! Dow spent seasons under BB who is considered an A-Grade defence first development coach, yet the aspect of Dow's game that lets him down is defence! Mind you Dow isn't the first or last to suffer this sort of criticism, some will just never have it!

It looks to me like under Voss effort is a non-negotiable, maybe Motlop gets a free pass as a newbie and Dow doesn't!

I remember about this time last season fans on this very site arguing with Kruddler and myself about our criticisms of Cripps not chasing, now we can no longer make that same criticism, yet I suspect some fans will still deny there was ever an issue! For me it's an example of how players of any stature can change, the why is irrelevant!

You haven't noticed Motlop's presence, pressure and tackles up the ground LP?  He is working as hard as anyone but it's not always paying off for him at this stage.  However, he is still meeting Vossy's requirements off the ball, and I'm sure that Dow has a way to go to get there.

Cripps may have made some minor adjustments to his defensive game but it's our relentless pressure and team defence that has stopped his opponents running off him (as well as not playing injured). Cripps has kicked more goals this season (and probably should be nudging 30 rather 20), but, once again, that's a team outcome rather than Cripps doing something different.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #29
Pittonet in for Honey for me.

Assuming Weitering and Walsh are good to go and Hewett still out....I can't see too many more changes needed? Silvagni can play as a permanent pressure forward and take Honey's spot which still leaves Durdin and Motlop as the two smalls with Fisher alternating too. Cottrell, Setterfield and O'Brien probably didn't do too much wrong last week and Cottrell hit the scoreboard too....all 3 got the ball up and down the ground.

We'd still have 7 defenders with Newman, Weitering, Plowman, Saad, Young, Docherty and McGovern.