44 - Matthew Owies
45 - Alex Mirkov
46 - Matthew Cottrell
Topic: Who is our best 22? (Read 2085 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Who is our best 22?

Reply #15
Intersting, first 10 votes
- 12 usual suspects make everyone ones list
- 9 have Lob and Cotts as best 22 (who woulda thunk it start of this year)
- Cerra and Bam Bam dont make best 22 twice
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
I think the problem was that he gave a couple of flashes in the games he played last year and folks got a bit excited by the prospect of some natural development.
That just hasn't happened.
Injury played a part, but he's really shown little since his return to the side.
Yes and I think by and large, those who have returned from injury have been bang on (or pretty close to it) form and fitness wise. I reckon he is one of those really good VFL players but not very good AFL players (ie big gap). Time will tell I guess.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Intersting, first 10 votes
- 12 usual suspects make everyone ones list
- 9 have Lob and Cotts as best 22 (who woulda thunk it start of this year)
- Cerra and Bam Bam dont make best 22 twice
I think someone has taken the piss because everyone on our list has a vote, including blokes like Mirkov, Akuei, Philp etc.

Reply #18
I have Jack Martin in. If he is fit and at his best he is a match winner.

He was fighting for my 22nd spot. If i did this every day this week, he'd make the team at least once. Very close to making it and on another day, he probably would.

I agree with you.
He is a match winner.
If this is indeed a side playing on in the grand final (as i suggested), you'd just about pick him. He could win you the game.
If he gets injured, or goes missing, sub him out.

In the end, i went for Zac Williams as my 22nd player.....but could've easily been Plowman (who was stiff to lose the spot to Newman). Ultimately, he would play as the 7th defender, extra midfielder.

Ultimately, i went for a side that could take anything and cover any injury.

2 rucks - Pittonet and TDK.
2 Key backs, with 1 tall backup - Weitering, Young and McGovern
2 Key forwards, with 1 tall backup - McKay, Curnow and Silvagni

Small forwards had 2 genuine, with 1 who can play midfield if required- Durdin, Owies and Fisher
Small/medium backs - 3, with an extra mid/back  - Saad, Docherty, Newman and Williams on the bench

2 genuine wingers - O'Brien, Cottrell

5 elite Mids - Cripps, Cerra, Hewitt, with Walsh and Kennedy coming in off the bench. Walsh tagteaming on the wing as he does, with Kennedy being able to sneak forward (or Cripps).  With backups of Fisher and Williams for depth.

B Saad Weitering Newman
HB McGovern Young Docherty
C Cottrell Cripps LoB
HF Silvagni C. Curnow Fisher
F C. Durdin McKay Owies
R Pittonet Hewett Cerra
I/C TDK, Kennedy, Walsh, Williams

Reply #19
It depends on the other mob. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
Correct.  I can see Young being overlooked depending on who we play. If Marchy, Gov and Weitering are all on the park and good to go then there will be a couple of oppositions where that 'tall 3' combo might be more effective. 
Also don't  be surprised if Setterfield disrupts a few 'best 22' in the next few weeks.

Reply #21
Wonder when the last time the best 22 actually played together over the last few years.

Reply #22
Wonder when the last time the best 22 actually played together over the last few years.

We are pretty close now.

Pittonet will have a huge impact. He has only played in one loss this year where he was injured in the first quarter which was the reason why we lost.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #23

Less than 10 games at most.  I think the last time we got close to it, was 2011, and the wheels had fallen off by finals where we were rucking our second stringers, and playing make shifters down forward.

No wonder we lost to west coast and even then it was only by a kick.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
Correct.  I can see Young being overlooked depending on who we play. If Marchy, Gov and Weitering are all on the park and good to go then there will be a couple of oppositions where that 'tall 3' combo might be more effective. 
Also don't  be surprised if Setterfield disrupts a few 'best 22' in the next few weeks.
Most teams have a 200cm forward these days if not a couple, I think Young with his extra height is an automatic down back.
I wouldn't trust Marchbank to hold up in a tough finals series and he is undersized to play KP imho.
Setterfield is another who I wouldnt have in my team for the finals and whose kicking in particular under pressure is ordinary and I wouldn't be blinded by him getting some easy ball vs GWS who are not exactly a high pressure opposition.

Reply #25
Both Dow and Setterfield were showing some promising signs in the early days. Then, either through injury, new coach etc., they've both suffered through lack of continuity and have stalled. Add to that the competitive and developmental wasteland that was VFL football in 2020/21, the usual upheavals with coaches etc. it's not surprising where they're at. They both need a solid block of games (I'd give them half a season), played mainly in one position and not all over the place, and then judge them. Assuming they are even on our list next season.

Reply #26
Most teams have a 200cm forward these days if not a couple, I think Young with his extra height is an automatic down back.
I wouldn't trust Marchbank to hold up in a tough finals series and he is undersized to play KP imho.
Setterfield is another who I wouldnt have in my team for the finals and whose kicking in particular under pressure is ordinary and I wouldn't be blinded by him getting some easy ball vs GWS who are not exactly a high pressure opposition.

Young is a lock in the 22.  As you say EB, most teams have at least one forward around the 200cm mark and Young has the attributes to match them.

Weitering has the ability to play on all but the speediest small forwards and did the job on Greene for part of the game.  If Marchbank comes back, it will be as an intercept defender, not as a key defender.

I disagree on Setterfield.  In form, he is a significant upgrade on Newnes and well ahead of Hayes and Carroll.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Young is a lock in the 22.  As you say EB, most teams have at least one forward around the 200cm mark and Young has the attributes to match them.

Weitering has the ability to play on all but the speediest small forwards and did the job on Greene for part of the game.  If Marchbank comes back, it will be as an intercept defender, not as a key defender.

I disagree on Setterfield.  In form, he is a significant upgrade on Newnes and well ahead of Hayes and Carroll.
DJ, I wouldn't be considering Newnes, , Carroll or Hayes in my best 22 either and at the moment wouldn't have Martin or Williams in that 22 but Imho both would be well ahead of Setterfield who imo has been disappointing in terms of his kicking and inconsistent attack on the ball
He isn't a terrible player but not one I would want on a wing in a first up final vs J Daicos and S.Sidebottom...

Reply #28

Forget Hayes and Carroll. No where near the best 22.

Setterfield vs Newnes comes down to one thing....consistency.

Setterfield has been in and out of the side because he hasn't been consistent. When you want consistency, you call on Newnes.
That was the whole reason we got him. We needed an honest foot soldier who just did his job without being remarkable.
I pushed for him for that very reason and its been a success.

That being said, he was only a stop gap until the kids came through. They are definitely starting to come through. LOB, Cottrell and perhaps even Setterfield are certainly coming through now.

Reply #29
How did Young get an extra vote?  All of the usual suspects are on 15, and he is on 16......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?