Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 4218 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #75
Half backs and half forwards broke down last night - the biggest cardinal sin was not providing numbers around the ball. We got completely out played.... Adelaide were far hungrier and methodical with the numbers to the contest and then the spread.
^^
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
Half backs and half forwards broke down last night - the biggest cardinal sin was not providing numbers around the ball. We got completely out played.... Adelaide were far hungrier and methodical with the numbers to the contest and then the spread.
Voss didnt make enough moves and then ran out of chess pieces when we had Durdin, Kennedy and Newman injured....just dont know why he left Saad loose on Keays....you see Saad chasing the ball and not manning Keays up and the latter on his own goalside with no opponent and when you have dummies like Plowman turning it over you get burnt.
Cant remember who kicked the ball that McAdam put one arm to steal but you cant expect to win games when you make basic kicking errors in the backline, that was Carlton from the Bolton/Teague era stuff where we used to give away 5 goals in 5 minutes.
Adelaide were smart, they go to Dawson nearly every time to bring the ball out of defense but we were asleep and never manned him up so to force some of their other spuds to kick the ball.
I'd be playing Kemp over Plowman as I cant see Plowman improving and he is just too inconsistent with how he makes decisions and uses the ball..

Reply #77
I dont like it how we are rushing Durdin - he is at least 2 years away. I like his determination and pressure acts but that isnt enough for AFL football. Motlop is the only small forward that can actually play like a small forward and even he is two years away.

I like Durdin and Motlop, they are going to be fine players.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #78
Voss didnt make enough moves and then ran out of chess pieces when we had Durdin, Kennedy and Newman injured....just dont know why he left Saad loose on Keays....you see Saad chasing the ball and not manning Keays up and the latter on his own goalside with no opponent and when you have dummies like Plowman turning it over you get burnt.
Cant remember who kicked the ball that McAdam put one arm to steal but you cant expect to win games when you make basic kicking errors in the backline, that was Carlton from the Bolton/Teague era stuff where we used to give away 5 goals in 5 minutes.
Adelaide were smart, they go to Dawson nearly every time to bring the ball out of defense but we were asleep and never manned him up so to force some of their other spuds to kick the ball.
I'd be playing Kemp over Plowman as I cant see Plowman improving and he is just too inconsistent with how he makes decisions and uses the ball..
re mcadam incident.
pretty sure that was Gov.

Reply #79
re mcadam incident.
pretty sure that was Gov.
You are correct....think he redeemed himself with a pass to Cottrell for a goal not long after but the McAdam turnover was crucial at that stage.

Reply #80
That is what happens when you don't turn up to play.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #81
I know I keep banging on about this, feel free to skip...

We've had a terrific adjustment to all the PS changes, which was an overhaul from building foundations to CEO.

Week by week we succumbed to the inherent Carlton Injury Crisis. We also loose 2 defenders in rare circumstances without replacement.

With change embraced and confidence high, we perform above and beyond until the bye. Albeit with a couple of slim wins.

Based on our relative success we expect to perform better post bye, as players return from injury.

What we're actually seeing is that expectation may be unrealistic or at least premature. Return from injury, regardless if your name is Weitering or Honey, doesn't mean return to form. Moreover, it doesn't mean you’ll fit back into your line or the team seamlessly. The challenge is greater with a new game plan and it's incrementally introduced layers. Quite a different prospect to returning to what you know. Weiters, Honey, Cerra, Pitto are just a few examples.

As much as we can have hope that processes will take care of results. We can't deny the influence of change and injuries. For whatever reason we're one of the most injured teams in the competition, and have been for many years. The big day is won by healthy lists. When we have a healthy list, I believe sustained success will follow.

In the interim, we marvel at the development of those players forced to take on new roles and responsibilities. We admire the progress in coaching and adaptation. We celebrate the small wins.

Not sure about anyone else, but I think the next layer needs to address list health. Be it recruiting, fitness and conditioning, or mindset. Or any other factor that will contribute positively. Hope is wonderful. Confidence is necessary, but neither are enough to sustain success.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #82

We've had a terrific adjustment to all the PS changes, which was an overhaul from building foundations to CEO.

Week by week we succumbed to the inherent Carlton Injury Crisis. We also loose 2 defenders in rare circumstances without replacement.

With change embraced and confidence high, we perform above and beyond until the bye. Albeit with a couple of slim wins.

Based on our relative success we expect to perform better post bye, as players return from injury.

What we're actually seeing is that expectation may be unrealistic or at least premature. Return from injury, regardless if your name is Weitering or Honey, doesn't mean return to form. Moreover, it doesn't mean you’ll fit back into your line or the team seamlessly. The challenge is greater with a new game plan and it's incrementally introduced layers. Quite a different prospect to returning to what you know. Weiters, Honey, Cerra, Pitto are just a few examples.

As much as we can have hope that processes will take care of results. We can't deny the influence of change and injuries. For whatever reason we're one of the most injured teams in the competition, and have been for many years. The big day is won by healthy lists. When we have a healthy list, I believe sustained success will follow.

In the interim, we marvel at the development of those players forced to take on new roles and responsibilities. We admire the progress in coaching and adaptation. We celebrate the small wins.

Not sure about anyone else, but I think the next layer needs to address list health. Be it recruiting, fitness and conditioning, or mindset. Or any other factor that will contribute positively. Hope is wonderful. Confidence is necessary, but neither are enough to sustain success.

Go Blues

Great Post. Totally agree

Reply #83
Easy in hindsight but Setterfield is never in the starting 22 before Jack Silvagni....regardless of what position or role they're playing.

Reply #84
Easy in hindsight but Setterfield is never in the starting 22 before Jack Silvagni....regardless of what position or role they're playing.
Setterfield is just depth imo, dont want to be relying on him vs the better teams with a finals spot on the line.
Contested players are King and we need players who can go hard all day for the next three weeks, need Kennedy fit and Hewett back in to beef up the midfield at the coalface.

Reply #85
That is what happens when you don't turn up to play.

Totally agree.  I've watched all or parts of every game played this week and in not one game has the losing side played  such a dispirited, pathetic, bruise free style as we did yesterday.

It was bad enough losing, but the way we lost, being run over by a bottom of the ladder side, really hurts. 

With so many underachievers, if we happen to make the 8, we will just be making up the numbers.

Reply #86
Sorry, the Giants are keeping us company with their efforts.

Reply #87

Go Blues

I love your enthusiasm, but when the side for yesterday's game was announced I thought there was general agreement among supporters that it was a very good one, certainly able to beat Adelaide and cement our position in the 8.

As other posters have said, the problems above the shoulders are still a work in progress.

Reply #88
I love your enthusiasm, but when the side for yesterday's game was announced I thought there was general agreement among supporters that it was a very good one, certainly able to beat Adelaide and cement our position in the 8.

As other posters have said, the problems above the shoulders are still a work in progress.

Yep. On paper we had the Crows more than covered. Then there's above the shoulders... turns out in this respect they had us covered. Doesn't matter how much talent you have, if your head/attitude aint right... you're knackered.

I've noticed when we're at our best there is boldness and risk in our game. Defense respect but offensive hunger. As I said previously, I hope we go into the BrisVegas game with a ruthless intensity and boldness; a want for the contest and an at-all-cost desire score big. When we're too defensive (safe?) we tend to go into our shells and end up chasing clacker.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #89
Noticeable that the Crows shut down handball chains, clogged the run and carry and straggled the forward like few have this year while getting away with it most times. If it was that obvious to their brains trust, it should be blindingly so to everyone else now. Makes one wonder what the beaten clubs have been thinking. We thought through opponents earlier in the year. Guess part of not turning up includes the critical faculties as well and assume/hope this will happen less as the squad matures further. Also that without all our first-choice midfielders, we are vulnerable. Do we have enough cap space for another hard-nut top-liner who sticks tackles?