Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 6292 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #105
Did fans like Voss correcting the media when they sledged SoJ during the pre-match interview?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
Hopefully someone makes a beeline for Bailey early on in the piece and bumps him nice and hard in a contest.

Reply #107
Hopefully someone makes a beeline for Bailey early on in the piece and bumps him nice and hard in a contest.
I am hoping he is a late withdrawal Surfie, thats a mighty dangerous centre line with him and McCluggage on the other wing, the latter is underrated and seems to go untagged each week and rack up the possies, we need to make sure that doesnt happen.
I'd be expecting Rhys " the beast" Mathieson to collide with a few of our more skilled players as well and I wouldnt mind seeing Cripps run into him early on, the other one is Darcy Gardiner who also seems to have a lot of so called innocent accidental contact with players and I'd be watching out for him too....like to see Harry get a bit more physical and impose himself on the contest  more often as well.

Reply #108
I suspect 22 will BoG for Brisbane.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #109
I suspect 22 will BoG for Brisbane.

Nathan22?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #111
Setterfield has been a disappointment imho, not a contested mid who was going to help Cripps as was the original idea and played his better footy on the wing as a poor man's Kamdyn McIntosh.
Wouldn't be in my best 22 and it's hard to find a real weapon in his play that sets him apart other than his height and even then his high marking is hardly a feature of his play. Be on my trade/delist list at seasons end..

Agree. The fact he is still getting games shows that while our depth has improved it still needs to get better to be a genuine contender.

I really don’t understand the wraps on this guy. As you say apart from his height and I guess athletic ability he has very little else to hang his hat on.

One thing that really bugs me about him is while he is a decent size the bloke never goes in hard or lays a strong hard tackle on a smaller mid. Never! He just stands back watches from the contest from a distance and ia player and seems to prefer to just carrel the bloke with the ball over charging in to tackle him. He obviously doesn’t want the contact so
having the size he has means stuff all if you don’t use it to your advantage. Don’t think he will be picked up if on the trade table which says it all.

Reply #112
Setterfield has been impressive of late - has composure and skill to burn and tackles hard. I'm a fan of his and think his upside is enormous. One of the under 23s I would give an extended contract - just like I thought the same with Bam Bam.

Setterfield not going in hard is just lol material. He comes accross as laconic but is actually an excellent footballer - just missing a yard of pace. But no problem with his work in the coal face.

Reply #113
Setterfield has been impressive of late - has composure and skill to burn and tackles hard. I'm a fan of his and think his upside is enormous. One of the under 23s I would give an extended contract - just like I thought the same with Bam Bam.

Setterfield not going in hard is just lol material. He comes accross as laconic but is actually an excellent footballer - just missing a yard of pace. But no problem with his work in the coal face.

Astute observations pinot (is that gris, grigio or noir?).

Not everyone plays like Leigh Matthews, and they wouldn't last long in today's game if they did.  Setterfield, when he's fit and firing, is a quality midfielder.  He is also quite versatile and can play as an inside or outside mid and has also been used as a defender and ruckman this season.  His kicking can occasionally let him down but that's the case with most midfielders trying to get a kick away under pressure.

Hopefully, he'll have a chance to string some games together and show how good he can be.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #114
No rain 21 degrees...... should  be a day for the high markers.  Finals type weather!!

Reply #115
The fat-side winger is supposed to stay out of the contest to provide for a switch or stop the opposition’s switch. The thin-side winger is supposed to stand between the stoppage and his own goals to make sure he can intercept an opposition mid who collects the ball at top pace and runs towards goal. The days of the winger being just 1 of 6 mids are over. It’s now a role position.

You’ll note the wingers at centre square bounces don’t sprint towards the centre when the bounce takes place. They have the pace to join the contest but instead stand close to the edge of the square. They used to move in much closer to get involved, but Port Adelaide had its wingers stay back to provide an outlet and that created mayhem.

It’s easy to get footage of wingers looking like they’re unwilling to get involved in contests because they’re doing what the coach wants.

Reply #116

Setters perplexes me. I've praised his excellent disposal by hand and decisions under pressure, but, also, been critical that under pressure his kicks too often seem panicky and give it back to the opposition. But last week he had many mates who did the same thing... hurried and wasted kicks. Today, like others, he must put his strengths to good use... for 4 qtrs.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #117
Many pundits, understandably, predict us getting a hiding today, or, at best, go down fighting in a desperate contest.

One of the things in our favour is BrisVegas's form around finals time. They're not in the same league as the Pussies, Go Ds or Tiggers and should we give them reason to doubt themselves, they'll wobble. In their minds they've more to lose (top 4) than us and are expected to win.

I'd like to see us play with ruthless boldness and risk (yep, and risk being opened up) rather than go too defensive. To win this game we must increase/improve our forward pressure significantly (and stick tackles!!), and lower the eyes more often when delivering into the forward line... no putting it on H's or Charlie's head! Or being too Charlie or H focussed... oh, and H, hold your marks and make every shot on goal a winner. Efficiency in front of goal (scoreboard pressure) is imperative.

And Mr and Mrs Dow's young fella, Paddy, won't have a tag today... I hope he is given the green light to play to his strengths, and build confidence, just might surprise (fingers crossed).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #118
Setters perplexes me. I've praised his excellent disposal by hand and decisions under pressure, but, also, been critical that under pressure his kicks too often seem panicky and give it back to the opposition. But last week he had many mates who did the same thing... hurried and wasted kicks. Today, like others, he must put his strengths to good use... for 4 qtrs.
Problem I have with him is his kicking and I have seen him pull out of contests and the ones that stick in my mind were marking duels where he thought he was going to take a hit and avoided the contact.
You can't have players like that in senior midfield positions imho.
If he plays he plays on a wing where he can tag another quality player but where the game isn't so dependent on his ability to win the hard ball because I don't trust him vs quality opposition who are going to go hard everytime.
The reason why we had to get players like Hewett and reinvent Kennedy was that players like Setterfield and Dow haven't delivered..

Reply #119
Problem I have with him is his kicking and I have seen him pull out of contests and the ones that stick in my mind were marking duels where he thought he was going to take a hit and avoided the contact.
You can't have players like that in senior midfield positions imho.
If he plays he plays on a wing where he can tag another quality player but where the game isn't so dependent on his ability to win the hard ball because I don't trust him vs quality opposition who are going to go hard everytime.
The reason why we had to get players like Hewett and reinvent Kennedy was that players like Setterfield and Dow haven't delivered..

My criticism of Setterfield, and i've been in his corner more than most, is that he seemed to be a slow thinker.
He takes too long to find an option and dispose of the ball.
If his instincts were better, he wouldn't have to dispose of the ball under the same amount of pressure and wouldn't turn it over as much.

Something that i've really noticed about this 2022 team vs 2021 team is the quick ball movement, especially by hand. Always getting a quick handball to a teammate before getting hit/tackled/pressured.....and linking those quick handballs. Best example of this is when a player jumps up to grab the ball and handballs it before hitting the ground finding a teammate before the guy in his back pocket has a chance to affect the player/ball. An example of Setterfield in the same situation would see him jump for the ball, land, look for a teammate, take 2 steps and get tackled/pressured.

With that observation in mind, he is better suited to areas where he is less likely to be put in those situations IMO.
So wing, or even previously in the BP are ideal as he either has more time, space, or 'outs' ie boundary line to help him.