Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 6234 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
No doubt plenty on here think Setterfield is a waste of space, but if you look at his opportunities, injuries, coach shenanigans etc. it's not a great development environment, by any measure.
Early this season the improvement in LoB and Setterfield was palpable, they were running deep from D50 to F50 and it wasn't really until the opposition started putting pressure on the rest of our list with run and spread that fans then returned to whipping the old favourites in LoB, Plowman and Setterfield.

But primarily, we've lost a lot of run at various times, either due to injury or selection, and it's exerted a cost on the whole team. It doesn't take much of a change, just a player or two not carrying their weight, and the whole squad suffers. Fans don't get it, they rarely see it because most fans ball watch, and those watching on TV can't see it anyway!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Early this season the improvement in LoB and Setterfield was palpable, they were running deep from D50 to F50 and it wasn't really until the opposition started putting pressure on the rest of our list with run and spread that fans then returned to whipping the old favourites in LoB, Plowman and Setterfield.

But primarily, we've lost a lot of run at various times, either due to injury or selection, and it's exerted a cost on the whole team. It doesn't take much of a change, just a player or two not carrying their weight, and the whole squad suffers. Fans don't get it, they rarely see it because most fans ball watch, and those watching on TV can't see it anyway!
FMD generalise much?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32

Lob has improved, Setterfield hasnt and his weaknesses are still his weaknesses and Plowman is a turnover merchant when the heat is on and while I have appreciated the dirty jobs he has copped in the past I think its time to put some faith in younger players like Kemp who have better skills and play them ahead of Plowman who probably is getting close to his use by date.
I thinks Fans do get it and want better because we now have a better list and need to keep tweaking it to make a top 4 sustainable list and that means players like Setterfield and Plowman are now redundant.

Reply #33
FMD generalise much?

I've managed to get to several games this season and I have watched all of the other games on TV.  I have also watched replays of the games I saw live.  I consider myself to be a keen student of the game and I try to pay attention to player positioning, what players do off the ball, what positions players take, who their opponents are, etc, etc.  I find that I pick up things I missed live when I watch replays and, depending on the coverage, our tactics and individual player efforts are sometimes clearer on TV.  I guess that's why players and coaches spend hours watching videos of each game.

Of course, as with most things, two people watching the same footy match live or on TV will see the game differently.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Lob has improved, Setterfield hasnt and his weaknesses are still his weaknesses and Plowman is a turnover merchant when the heat is on and while I have appreciated the dirty jobs he has copped in the past I think its time to put some faith in younger players like Kemp who have better skills and play them ahead of Plowman who probably is getting close to his use by date.
I thinks Fans do get it and want better because we now have a better list and need to keep tweaking it to make a top 4 sustainable list and that means players like Setterfield and Plowman are now redundant.

Couldn't agree more, EB1.

Sadly, when the heat in the kitchen is full-on, these two just cannot be relied upon. Kemp and Stocker in a heartbeat.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
Couldn't agree more, EB1.

Sadly, when the heat in the kitchen is full-on, these two just cannot be relied upon. Kemp and Stocker in a heartbeat.

Thats been my main gripe all seasons some players go missing when the heat is on and depend on too few to crack in.

I personally dont think flaky players have much of a future under a Voss and co led team.

Reply #36
Im not against rewarding form, but have you ever seen Setterfield do something (anything) and go thats why he gets a game?

I said similar about Boyd earlier in the season, but that was after his first AFL game, where he stunk it up.  Thats not unusual company to be in, given Kade Simpson and even Joel Selwoods debut where the numbers werent high, the clanger count was, but some players are worth persevering with.

Through sheer lack of other options, Setters passed 50 games as an AFL player this year, and whilst I am unsure what role he can play (like you say) I don't even know what he does well aside from be tall...

His best games, where when he played as a lock down backman a couple years ago or thereabouts.

People still had a go at him because of his low possession count, and maybe the 1 disposal error he made, but overlooked that his opponent did SFA.

He has played good games, but just not enough in a row, in the same position, to make a sustained case for him.

Reply #37
Thats been my main gripe all seasons some players go missing when the heat is on and depend on too few to crack in.

I personally dont think flaky players have much of a future under a Voss and co led team.

From your keyboard to all the ears of all the gods.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38

Probably a Voss-like purge at season's end?
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #39
With Kennedy out do we bring Dow in or just move Setterfield into the middle and bring in Martin?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
With Kennedy out do we bring Dow in or just move Setterfield into the middle and bring in Martin?

We are paying Dow to be on our list, we might as well force him to play a game or 2 to see if its worth it.

I'd go something like this....

Out: Newman, Kennedy, Durdin (all injured) Setterfield, TDK,
In: Marchbank, Dow, Honey, Martin, Newnes

Reply #41
Before last week's game against the Crows, we had four chances to win the one match we require to capture a finals birth.

After playing the weakest of the upcoming opposition teams, we still need to win one match.

The Lions players will be whipped into a frenzy by their coach, they will not drop this one at home meaning that we will still need to win one more match but from two games instead of four.  
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #42
I'm not all that confident about winning any of the remaining three, but I think the Pies is the one where we may jag a surprise win, if only because they are overdue for a loss.

Reply #43
If Richmond beat Port this week we will most likely have to win 2 more games.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #44
Understand wing is an interesting role in our team and perplexing. One player that hasn't been payed there this year is Honey. Has pace, can kick. May be late to try but a qtr wouldn't hurt if terrible can still play fwd with Cottrell and LOB on the other. Setterfield and Plow can't play in same side imo
Pls kick straight Harry