Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 7396 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #120
I really do not understand where this perspective that "Cripps form is patchy" comes from?

It's a bit like labelling Kouta inconsistent because he wasn't BoG every game. I get that fans want the stars to shine, but sometimes 2nd BoG or getting some AFLCA votes is all that you can hope for.

If Cripps form is patchy, the same fans must think it's time to drop Charlie and BigH! :o
Cripps had been tagged hard as has Saad, opposition midfields have been breaking even or bettering us and Cripps lack of dominance is shown by getting the ball in high numbers still but doing nothing with it, ditto for Walsh.Imho it's timed with Hewett and Kennedy of late being out and TDKs form tapering off..

Reply #121
Cripps has been a known quantity in the AFL for years. Without looking at the detail, I'm guessing the tactics against him in R20 would be the same as R1. What may have changed is not the opposition tactics per se, but rather than Cripps may be fatigued, injured, or maybe support from team mates has dried up because they're injured. All of which would make Cripps easier to tag, but not necessarily that other teams have changed what they do. IMO.

Reply #122
Cripps has been a known quantity in the AFL for years. Without looking at the detail, I'm guessing the tactics against him in R20 would be the same as R1. What may have changed is not the opposition tactics per se, but rather than Cripps may be fatigued, injured, or maybe support from team mates has dried up because they're injured. All of which would make Cripps easier to tag, but not necessarily that other teams have changed what they do. IMO.

Cripps, Walsh & Saad are standing out as beacons, because of the support around them falling away because of injuries and fatigue.
Stop/limit those 3 and there just isn’t the numbers to keep on keeping on.
We live in hope however…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #123
Our interstate win rate has been very poor this season but thats ok because I think we won the games we had to win.

Can't play the way we did against Geelong and Saints. Hunger level needs to be amplified by 500%

Reply #124
Have a listen from 9:04, Brenton Sanderson does Carlton strategy on Whateley

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=1031215
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #125
If GWS happened to beat the Bullies before our game starts tonight therefore securing our place in the 8, would this have a positive effect on our group to play with more freedom and mentally less pressure and a better chance of grabbing a win??

Reply #126
If GWS happened to beat the Bullies before our game starts tonight therefore securing our place in the 8, would this have a positive effect on our group to play with more freedom and mentally less pressure and a better chance of grabbing a win??

It may help them to play with less mental pressure, but I'm not sure about playing with more freedom, since the latter is due more to game plan and coach instructions IMO.

Reply #127
I think so.

We know we're in, now let's show everyone that we mean business.

Reply #128
PP....I'd like to think we play the way we need to play....regardless of the results of other games. Anything resembling the last 2 weeks and Melbourne will take us to the cleaners tonight.

Reply #129
PP....I'd like to think we play the way we need to play....regardless of the results of other games. Anything resembling the last 2 weeks and Melbourne will take us to the cleaners tonight.

I think so. One of the coaching cliches which is currently in vogue is "to play our way." Leaving aside what that actually means, I suspect Voss, like most current coaches, is very method and systems focused. I get the feeling that he will go for "run and dare" only as a Plan B or C.

Reply #130
I think so. One of the coaching cliches which is currently in vogue is "to play our way." Leaving aside what that actually means, I suspect Voss, like most current coaches, is very method and systems focused. I get the feeling that he will go for "run and dare" only as a Plan B or C.
I have heard 3 separate "murmurings" in the last week that suggest Voss has no plan B.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #131
I have heard 3 separate "murmurings" in the last week that suggest Voss has no plan B.

I'd like to think the last quarter of the Brisbane game was a Plan B, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Reply #132
I'd like to think the last quarter of the Brisbane game was a Plan B, but I have no way of knowing for sure.
I love the analogy Brenton Sanderson used about the green light in the link I posted.  I reckon Carlton have had that attitude since the bye (dont go red). From rnd 1 to the bye, they were free spirited and daring (ie stay green). I reckon what we saw in the last was pre bye Carlton, not necessarily plan B.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #133
I love the analogy Brenton Sanderson used about the green light in the link.
FMD GTC, that stuff is U15s theory.

AFL goes way past that, I can't believe how Gerard Wobbly carried on like it was some sort of top secret inside deep dive!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134

With Greene and Preuss non-starters, I don't think GWS will trouble the Bulldogs.