Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6297 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
Cannot question the effort tonight, gutsy in so many ways.  Owned the last quarter, just couldn't ice it.

Sometimes the yearn after a loss like that can develop a new level of resolve.  At least the ball is still in our court.

And we did manage to keep out % above WBs.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #46
I have just watched the replay.  Leaving aside problems caused by poor foot skills and an inability to control use of the ball at the end of quarters, the real problem is the stress put on our midfielders by having to play to a losing ruck match after match.

What a difference it would have made tonight if we had had a  tall, mobile ruckman who was able to give our mids a better than even chance of getting first use of the ball.

If we have to go into next season with Pittonet as our main ruckman then we are almost certain to have the same inconsistent results during 2023 as we have had this year.

Reply #47
I have just watched the replay.  Leaving aside problems caused by poor foot skills and an inability to control use of the ball at the end of quarters, the real problem is the stress put on our midfielders by having to play to a losing ruck match after match.

What a difference it would have made tonight if we had had a  tall, mobile ruckman who was able to give our mids a better than even chance of getting first use of the ball.

If we have to go into next season with Pittonet as our main ruckman then we are almost certain to have the same inconsistent results during 2023 as we have had this year.

Goldstein
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #48
Tonight was true endorsement of Vossy’s ‘next man up’ mantra! Stoker in, Setterfield in, Martín In…..play your role. 
First time in a long time I noticed Setterfield on the ground. I thought he was very good last night. Heck even Martin lasted 4 qtrs AND contributed goals.
Doc in the guts at the CB's was the move I wanted to see and I thought he was very good in there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
Interesting figures…..

Stevic -- 14 frees to 5 Melbourne's way.
The other two umps paid it 9-8.
Goals with Stevic awarding free kicks:  Melbourne: 5  - Carlton 1.
dont worry about numbers.  Number 1 Chris Donlon gave the worst decisions against us. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
The reason why we can't play like that against teams that are inferior eludes me. Play like that against next week and we win easily.
I have been saying this for a long time, if only we could consistently beat teams below us, we wouldn't be in this predicament.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #51
A very gutsy all round performance.

Docherty’s performance on the ball was excellent, whilst Stocker’s physicality through the night was important.  I also thought all of Setterfield, Walsh, Cripps, Young, Weitering, McKay, Saad & Marchbank battled well.

Up forward, Martin, who I haven’t really been a fan of this year, was brilliant at key moments and could have been a match winner. Durdin was also back to his early year form and great to watch.

On the downside
(1) Newnes simply isn’t up it
(2) LOB needs to develop his body to break/stage up in tackles
(3) Pittonet, whilst physical, is a very limited/average footballer
(4) Owies good is offset by poor decisions and like Newnes he is often too slow to release the ball
(5) Silvagni’s kicking for goal has to improve and has been costly

Reply #52
The Pickett goal we were 1 on 1, he slipped Newnes for a tin ass goal. He then gave it to Newnes, very classy, your day will come you muppet! We probably should have had more numbers back but I get it (sort of).
The one that killed us was the Melksham goal, how does he mark it in a 4 v 2?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #53
And we just have to go to work on stopping last minute of the qtr goals by the opponent, if I can bring myself to watch the replay, I'll check but I think we did it in qtrs 1 3 and 4 maybe?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #54
Stocker and Setterfield should be back up bulls in the midfield and should be given contracts,

Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, Walsh are starters but if one goes down then Stocker and Setterfield should be next on the list.

I hope Vossy and team improves on prior regimes that they train and play in their most effective position for 23.

That was one massive positive.

The other positive is Cottrell taking Langdon to the cleaners, Nice game by Cotts.

I would still drop a few Newnes + Motlop for Cerra and Kennedy if they come up.

Reply #55
In the cold light of day....

It not often you can be really devastated by a result but pleased with the performance.
There were minor costly lapses.... but that was us being 'on' four four quarters.
Mutiple lead changes, but never more than a couple of goals in it.

How many games do you see like that?
Not many Carlton games in recent history.

So if the footy gods are not kind and we don't make it...well as Voss, said it was a finals type game... we don't really need the experience because we've got a glimpse of what it takes.

While the replacements performed really well in the middle it took them away from their own normal roles. Add one or two of our missing mids and the result probably goes the other way.

Setterfield's been the subject of a fair bit of criticism but when the boss singles you out for a mention in the presser you're probably a part of his future plans.

One thing that I liked, and we don't often get vision of it,  was the interaction between the coach and assistants deep in discussion at various points of the game and in the aftermatch.

We'll never know, but we possibly could have found an injury to give a fresh Paddy Dow a run in the last 15 minutes..it may have made a difference.

Reply #56
Super proud of the boys tonight. To a man, they left nothing out there. 4 quarters of solid non stop effort. Just kept going and going. That type of finals like atmosphere, and finals like pressure, will hold us in good stead going forward. Nealy pipped last years premiers with no Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett, TDK. Woof Saad playing in distress or injured. Pittonet / Silvagni / Cripps vs Gawn and Jackson. Charlie as rusty as a box of hundred year old nails. Will the Whipping boy had a good game, and hopefully his critics will give themselves the day off.

Well done boys. The best game of the year. Shame about the result. Not disgraced by any means.

Reply #57
Stocker and Setterfield should be back up bulls in the midfield and should be given contracts,

Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, Walsh are starters but if one goes down then Stocker and Setterfield should be next on the list.

I hope Vossy and team improves on prior regimes that they train and play in their most effective position for 23.

That was one massive positive.

The other positive is Cottrell taking Langdon to the cleaners, Nice game by Cotts.

I would still drop a few Newnes + Motlop for Cerra and Kennedy if they come up.
Great call, Cotts was awesome last night.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #58
Let's face it, we got away with a few close games early in the season. It was only a matter of time before we lost one.

Reply #59
Charlie as rusty as a box of hundred year old nails.

Charlie's off the boil.
But he's just as likely to a kick a bag next week.
That's the kind of player he is...
Can't wait for his 'complete' game.
I still don't think we've seen it, but we know he's capable of it