Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 11339 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #45
“No one will ever tell me that two consecutive “blocking” decisions did not manufacture that outcome.

In the first, Quainor pushed Silvagni into a Collingwood teammate. Cost us a shot dead in front.

Ball goes down the other end - good honest pack marking contest, somehow a free kick to Collingwood who goal.”
Exactly. Fell apart after that little sequence. Not an excuse but was a trigger for the poor choices that followed.
The momentum swung and that was that.

Reply #46
Stephen King would have been proud of that one.
If you wanted a nightmare, horror story to scare young Carlton kiddies it would pretty much follow that plot.

The match lived up to all the hype.
It will now go down in Magpie folklore...not so much ours. :(

Reply #47
Big lesson from the last 2 weeks (and a few other weeks as well).
If you are only running at 99%, its not good enough.

Put the foot on the throat, and keep it there until the final siren.
Give the opposition half a chance and you will lose.

Last 2 weeks show that we can match it with the best, but still lack experience in big games. Hopefully, we don't need anymore learning moments and take the hint from here.

#blues for 2023!

Sad ending to a season. If this one doesn’t hurt enough we will never learn what it means when people say what ever it takes. Get the results. Get the job done. We can’t be a serious threat until we have this mentality. Collingwood is a good side. Unfortunately almost every side above is is almost a non win contest. That doesn’t create a serious threat and every side knows if you turn on the heat and pressure, you will have every opportunity to beat us. Head strong yet? No. Mentally up to the challenge? No. Work rate up to standard for four quarters? No. Not quite there yet. Will 2023 be any different? Time will tell. We played our last 11 games to beat Essendon, Fremantle, West Coast and GWS. Not a great finish to a season. Injuries yes. Lack of real ticker, yes again. Time to really think about next season. Serious thinking. I would expect some changes. Voss was very good. He needs to get more mental toughness. More desperate efforts. More delivery on the scoreboard. I have faith. Just have no interest in the finals series. None what so ever.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #48
The Magpies have a good group of older, wiser more experienced heads that handled the clutch moments better.

And remember they played in a GF IN 2018 and prelim in 2019 and made the semis in 2020. Sure they were 17th last year but have a very experienced core that have played in many big games and we have SFA in that regard except for Williams and McGovern who have played finals campaigns at other clubs.

Reply #49
I'm now reduced to anticipating the demise of the Pies.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #50
Priority 1 NRL tackiling coach
Priority 2 Mind coach

Spot on. There is a serious 'between the lugholes' issue at our club. A 24 pt lead at 3/4 time should turn into a 30pt+ win.
Jekyll & Hyde.
Choking.
Undisciplined forward play.
Horribly inconsistent in games. (today, 21/8) 2 goalless qtrs, 8 gl qtr... WTF.
Culture is still fractured and brittle.
Are we, unconsciously, afraid to be successful? Are we too comfortable at PP? Too much palsy without depth? Why is our ruthlessness conditional, staccato, occasional?
Same old, same old... sustained pressure and we fold (panic/make mistakes... composure, discipline go out the window).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #51
And remember they played in a GF IN 2018 and prelim in 2019 and made the semis in 2020. Sure they were 17th last year but have a very experienced core that have played in many big games and we have SFA in that regard except for Williams and McGovern who have played finals campaigns at other clubs.

17th last year - Nick Daicoc
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #52
All we needed was one goal to stem the tide.
We choked.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53

Yes, I agree.

Reply #54
Don't think many changes are required just need continuity without this chopping and changing all year. We got a very good list would welcome Karl Amon and Bobby Hill with open arms.

Reply #55
In some ways, the Pies are a hard mob to pin down because they have an unusual profile. They don't win many of the key statistical indicators that coaches tend to rate, yet they just find a way to win.

Reply #56
I suspect that learning how to handle clutch moments or the closing stages of tight matches takes longer than 1 week.
I'm sure they have worked that scenario during preseason and during the season at training. If they haven't, that's criminal. Having been exposed to it last week should have triggered all the learnings from the training sessions and should have made them better prepared this week. The scenario arose, and every one at the ground around me could see it coming, and we failed again. This isn't rocket science, its composure and decision making. The older heads like Doc, Cripps, Weitering, Williams had to play a role in the instruction process.
They failed.
I have been dreading this round since the bye and it played exactly how I thought it would, these two weeks and dropping out of the 8 in rnd 23 will hurt them above the shoulders big time. Will they get over it? Some will, some won't.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #57
Real disappointing and we fell away after a promising start to the season, too many unreliable players especially under pressure with the ball. Sometimes you have to tip your lid to a team who can comeback like they can and say we can learn something from how they keep persisting. We seem to have more ball, more entries but players like Maynard and Moore just kept spoiling and denying us good entries and passage to our key forwards.
Got smashed in the ruck but still did well at clearances and stoppages thanks to Cripps who was a real warrior but missed the edge he provides down forward because he didnt have Hewitt and Kennedy to take up the slack if he moved away from the middle.
No Walsh made that situation worse along with Saad looking very sore and he probably shouldnt have played......thought Motlop gave us a lift and showed why he probably has more upside in a Kossie Pickett type of way than either Owies or Durdin.
The Jack ruck experiment is over IMO, when the opposition have two genuine rucks we have to play similar and I thought Jack was also well beaten by Maynard when he played forward as well so I think we havent done him any favors in terms of continuity and he needs to concentrate on his forward craft.
MacRae made some interesting moves late with Maynard, DeGoey in the middle who lifted the Pies and those two old blokes Pendlebury and Sidebottom  continue to be handy and seem to have haunted us for a while, I'll be glad when both retire.
Thought Cerra was very good, Young held up well and Docherty was his usual reliable self.
LOB was ok, Cottrell had another shocker on J Daicos who helped kickstart the Pies 1st quarter and we didnt learn much from our previous game vs the Pies in that regard.
Elliott and Ginnivan didnt get much of ball but when they did it they really punished us and a real class small defender to help Saad is a requirement we cant ignore. Zac Williams doesnt do it for me, Stocker lacks experience and Martin is finished as a senior player imo. McGovern was ok and I thought Marchbank played ok but the goals Johnson kicked really hurt us especially that zinger from the boundary line...
Some work for Austin to do in trade week and the draft and Voss needs to tune his coaching skills and give us some MacRae type belief and set plays for those last quarter vital moments.

Reply #58
All we needed was one goal to stem the tide.
We choked.
We needed to find a way to score the first goal in the last but instead, we found new ways to not score it. Then we need to find a way to stop them and we found new ways to screw that up also. A diabolical two weeks really, yes we most definately choked.
My unblemished record of not seeing a win live in donkeys years remains intact. Watching these last two weeks live has been as excruciating as I have ever witnessed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
Just have to get Fev to PP to teach our forwards drop punts, this indulgent 'round the corner stuff just cannot be trusted. And when you can't trust your key forwards when shooting at goal... time to act.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17