Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Finals Week 1 Sunday 28th August Collingwood v Carlton at Victoria park 1PM (Read 5244 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Finals Week 1 Sunday 28th August Collingwood v Carlton at Victoria park 1PM

Reply #90
I think you are commenting from memory.

Mirkov's 2nd-1/2 of the season has been very ordinary, low mobility, little involvement away from the stoppage. He's been playing like a traffic cone, probably carrying an injury.

Today Cripps was actively tackling and shepherding for his Mids, he got involved in many marking contests and brought the ball to ground in our favour. We had run and he allowed us to the take advantage of it. If his selection was planned and not as a result of injury it was coaching genius.

Akuei was average in the ruck, but much like Silvagni, he was more than useful at applying 1% type pressure to the opposition around the stoppages he was involved in, and also contested well overhead without taking many marks. He needs a pre-season in the gym.

Always quick dismiss anyone else's ability to watch and analyse games of footy while enjoying the spectacle LP  ::)

My memory may not be as good as it once was but I remember that Cripps hasn't played since round 14 because his form didn't justify selection.  I also remember that Mirkov hasn't been quite as good since coming back from his ankle injury.  However, he still dominated the hit outs and got plenty of the ball until his gashed knee. For example, in our Round 16 clash with Port Melbourne, Mirkov had 43 hit outs and 12 disposals and was effective around the ground.

If Akuei was average in the ruck today with only 13 hit outs, how many did Cripps get?  And remember that Akuei is only 192cm whereas Begg and Kreuger are 197cm and 196cm respectively.

Akuei and Cripps both laid three tackles and Cripps failed to hold a mark.  Akuei had 3 clearances and Cripps had 4.  It wasn't a bad game from Cripps, but Akuei was better, and a fit Mirkov would have dominated.  Akuei's second and third efforts often resulted in possessions to teammates and his spoiling in marking contests was great.

We were lucky that O'Keefe decided to recall Cripps, but playing Akuei in the ruck instead of as a defender or forward was a masterstroke.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: VFL Finals Week 1 Sunday 28th August Collingwood v Carlton at Victoria park 1PM

Reply #91
Not sure how anyone who watched the game today can say with a straight face that Cripps was even serviceable.

The kid is miles off it and hardly touched the ball.

Reply #92
Crocker played as a midfielder at Collingwood and played on the wing and a bit half forward at the Crows from my memory. With the NBs he has been a medium forward masquerading as a KP forward given we have zero options in that area. As I said Tory Dickson did the same job as Crocker at the Bendigo Bombers and kicked 40 odd goals before getting taken by the Dogs.
Crocker has done his apprenticeship and is a smarter player now who can find the goals consistently.
Dickson was a nondescript player with less talent than Crocker but he hardly missed from set shots much like Crocker.
For a 12 month rookie contract I'd be happy to give him a go. Getting another player who can kick straight might give us an edge...you get randoms like Nick Davis, Dickson, Dew who kick goals in finals and win games.
My preference is to get Bruest but failing that happy to see Crocker as a rookie..

Reply #93
Always quick dismiss anyone else's ability to watch and analyse games of footy while enjoying the spectacle LP  ::)
Not dismissive at all, just observing stuff that really matters, but not ball watching. Perhaps the masterstroke was the MC, naming Mirkov but not playing him.

Not sure how anyone who watched the game today can say with a straight face that Cripps was even serviceable.

Next thing you will be posting that Kreuzer was a spud and we should draft Warnock.

Just like Pittonet early in the AFL season, the influence Kreuzer has had over Cripps as a ruck coach was obvious yesterday.  Taps are just about the least interesting or important aspect of the ruck play, there are so very few clean taps it's all the other stuff that is far more important, positioning, managing space, blocking and shepherds.

If you don't believe my "taps are not that important" assertion go back and watch AFL season highlights for whenever stoppages go uncontested and see how few work out effective.

Players like Dow or Setterfield cannot collect and dispose the footy if opposition rucks have a free run at pegging them, both benefitted greatly yesterday from Cripps working to control his opponents access to the footy or the ball carrier, something Mirkov is yet to learn and has been starkly shown to us in several games this season including the infamous Frankston game.

The Filth ran with two ultra-mobile ruck options, I presume they thought Mirkov was going to play and they would easily run off him because in the second half of this season he ball watches. But Mirkov didn't play and the Filth mobile rucks had little influence on the result.

Cripps and Akuei did a great job, but not the same job.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
It really was a terrific 4 qtr effort from the Magoos... great start then weathered the Rottingwood comeback. Real team effort with everyone, to varying degrees, doing their job/on the same page. It was a sudden death final and our boys performed without some of the 'nerves' we've seen with the senior lads. Stuck to the job and looked like they wanted and believed that the game was theirs to win.

Against a weakened Rottingwood ruck pair, our boys did their jobs. Crippa's young brother, though a mile off being a senior ruckman, showed potential... and that's all you can ask of someone in a new role and so young. Dom got in some very important spoils and competed well but would be eaten alive by more recognized and bigger ruckmen.

What I like about Tyreece is his attitude, run, aggression (at the aggott & opponent) and when he tackles, they stay tackled! So much to work with.

Ned has one of those features you really look for in a small forward, he loves to hit the scoreboard. And does. But, like Crocker, can he handle the increased attention/pressure and better opponents at senior level? Is there room for improvement and growth to justify a rookie spot? For me, yep, but Curly's lad and co. know a lot more than I do about these things.

Our next final will be against a better opponent again. Can't wait to see how the boys do.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #95
Akeui looked better than any other game I have seen him in. 

Setterfield was playing a different game to everyone else.  Was also super clean by foot and hand.

Kemp and Dow continue to tease.  Kemp's goal in the last was a cracker.

Motlop looked disinterested.  I guess there's a big difference between 85K at that G, and 1500 and 10 dogs at Victoria Park. 

Stocker was just travelling, Will Hayes is a professional VFL footballer, and Durdin was serviceable.

Trudgeon continues to impress me.  If all our list tried as hard as he does, we'd be playing this week in the 1's and the 2's.  If he ends up at somewhere like a Richmond and explodes a la Kane Lambert, we should be very pissed off.  Tyreece Lieu certainly has something as well.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #96
Considering he has no PS I think Stocker is doing OK and I'd hate to lose him.   I think clubs will start looking around the periphery of our list and VFL squad.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #97
Akeui looked better than any other game I have seen him in. 

Setterfield was playing a different game to everyone else.  Was also super clean by foot and hand.

Kemp and Dow continue to tease.  Kemp's goal in the last was a cracker.

Motlop looked disinterested.  I guess there's a big difference between 85K at that G, and 1500 and 10 dogs at Victoria Park. 

Stocker was just travelling, Will Hayes is a professional VFL footballer, and Durdin was serviceable.

Trudgeon continues to impress me.  If all out our list tried as hard as he does, we'd be playing this week in the 1's and the 2's.  If he ends up at somewhere like a Richmond and explodes a la Kane Lambert, we should be very pissed off.  Tyreece Lieu certainly has something as well.

Totally agree, Mr T. I forgot in my missive to mention Trudge. He's another who has a great attitude and hunger for the contest.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #98

Yeah, he wasnt quite a witches hat but he is miles off as you say. Showed a few signs that he can play, he is nowhere near fit or strong enough.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #99
Not dismissive at all, just observing stuff that really matters, but not ball watching.

Cripps and Akuei did a great job, but not the same job.

There you go again LP.  You're not the only person who observes stuff that really matters, like Cripps not getting to contests or arriving too late to have an impact.  We have some keen students of the game at CSC and, while folk naturally notice different things, I don't think many noticed positioning, managing space, blocking and shepherds from Cripps; he was flat out trying limit his opponent's influence on the game.

Cripps and Akuei were serviceable, not great.  By far the best games I have seen both play, but their combined output was still a long way from what Mirkov produces.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #101
Cripps and Akuei were serviceable, not great.  By far the best games I have seen both play, but their combined output was still a long way from what Mirkov produces.
I don't see much difference between Mirkov's very best so far and what Cripps or Akuei produced last weekend, to me the difference is almost indistinguishable.

I'm truly perplexed by the fan love for Mirkov based on what he has produced so far, ignoring what he may produce in the future because that would be just a guess, I dread he'll be the next Warnock which is all tap and no substance!

But the tell is in a replay, go and watch Rnd 7, the loss to Frankston, https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/4216 when Mirkov collects 54 empty taps and has almost zero influence, while a handful of Reidy moments swing the game! That game basically put an end to Mirkov's progress for 2022!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
Considering he has no PS I think Stocker is doing OK and I'd hate to lose him.   I think clubs will start looking around the periphery of our list and VFL squad.
Agree...I think Stocker will attract attention from other clubs and in particular Richmond who wanted him initially.
Dow will be another, as clubs might think they have a better system to take him into the next level.
TDK is the obvious one though and a ridiculous offer from a desperate club might make him and the list management team think about it....

Reply #103
It was good to see a Carlton side kicking goals in the last qtr and win, rather than points and lose!