Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Queen Elizabeth II (Read 5593 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Reply #75
What can you expect from the lower classes?

Reply #76
Class, caste, clan, mob, it's all the same.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
Oooh, don’t tell the upper class that class doesn’t matter …

Reply #78
Oooh, don’t tell the upper class that class doesn’t matter …
Birth rites mean nothing, I prefer to judge others by their bank balance! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
I can’t believe retailers and others are criticising the announcement of a national day of mourning. That sort of disrespect will not stand!

Reply #80
I can’t believe retailers and others are criticising the announcement of a national day of mourning. That sort of disrespect will not stand!
They are complaining because they do not want to pay penalty rates, it's not about the day off, most of them welcome the business the day off would bring they just do not want to pay the staff to work on a gazetted holiday.

Not really a new issue specific to HRH! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
But it’s so disrespectful to complain about a once-in-70-years event over money.

Reply #82
But it’s so disrespectful to complain about a once-in-70-years event over money.
Doesn't it depend on what you think true motives might be, eliminating penalty rates, importing cheap foreign workers perhaps?

I suppose we can hijack every claim for a single cause, it's the modern way! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Don't think we need a public holiday that denies folk surgery even if it's elective.
It's a one off I know but people's health overides the monarchy in Aus imho.

Reply #84
It sounds far fetched, but this late public holiday declaration will wreak havoc on many industries, specifically the building industry.

In residential construction, trades are booked up for months, having to rejig everything by a day doesn't seem like much, but having 20 trades depending on previous work being completed is where things get messy.

This sort of thing can and will be the difference between some people moving into their house before Xmas and not....essentially meaning an extra month of mortgage payments they'll have to wear.

Not sure we really needed the extra public holiday.

Reply #85
I do wonder how much mourning will be going on.....

As it is, that day will be the final training run for the two sides who make the GF.

Let's hope the Pies supporters have a further reason to be mourning on that day....

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #86
As much as I understand the concerns, to me the surprise public holiday is no worse than a major storm causing a blackouts or some other unexpected event interfering with transport or staffing.

So for me the main problem isn't the staffing or potential interruptions, the main complaint is coming from those who still wish to trade having to pay public holiday rates.

It's also the case that there is historical data suggesting there will be wide spread absenteeism the day after the funeral, it's happened for Diana, it happened for Philip, it will be even greater for the Queen.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87
As much as I understand the concerns, to me the surprise public holiday is no worse than a major storm causing a blackouts or some other unexpected event interfering with transport or staffing.

So for me the main problem isn't the staffing or potential interruptions, the main complaint is coming from those who still wish to trade having to pay public holiday rates.

It's also the case that there is historical data suggesting there will be wide spread absenteeism the day after the funeral, it's happened for Diana, it happened for Philip, it will be even greater for the Queen.

The day after is a public holiday for us.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson