Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022b - R9 vs Gold Coast - Friday @ Metricon. (Read 2875 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2022b - R9 vs Gold Coast - Friday @ Metricon.

Reply #15
Olympians do it all the time on less, the lower wage is a bullcrap argument that doesn't stack up.

The female cricketers play more games, travel more, play more games, spend more time away form home and do it virtually al year long for less money than some o the AFLW girls.

The lack of money argument is a con.
Olympians train for years for the pinnacle participating in meets that last a few weeks along the way.  Not sure how that compares to uprooting across the country for a 3 month season and knowing that each match you miss is as important as the end goal of the once in 4 year Olympic games where sponsorship will outweigh anything the girls get paid.  The Olympians although frugal will get way more than afl women do if they qualify.  Even standardised and using some of the girls misrepresents your argument because first year draftees don't earn that much.

Do all afl players earn a million dollars a year? Nope.  2% do.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
Olympians train for years for the pinnacle participating in meets that last a few weeks along the way.  Not sure how that compares to uprooting across the country for a 3 month season and knowing that each match you miss is as important as the end goal of the once in 4 year Olympic games where sponsorship will outweigh anything the girls get paid.  The Olympians although frugal will get way more than afl women do if they qualify.  Even standardised and using some of the girls misrepresents your argument because first year draftees don't earn that much.

Do all afl players earn a million dollars a year? Nope.  2% do.
I'm with you Thry, I said it a few weeks ago, the comp is half assed and nothing more than a toke gesture but the AFL. They are paid a pittance and it shows, the AFL should invest heavily (way more than they are now), pay them properly so that can be pro and then watch it prosper. Right now, for me at least, its unwatchable.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Olympians train for years for the pinnacle participating in meets that last a few weeks along the way.  Not sure how that compares to uprooting across the country for a 3 month season and knowing that each match you miss is as important as the end goal of the once in 4 year Olympic games where sponsorship will outweigh anything the girls get paid.
So athletes train for years and leave home base to compete once every four years for just a few weeks, ultimately getting a small fortune from sponsors regardless of results, while the AFLW girls sacrifice months on end on the road as travelling paupers facing death at every challenge! :o

Have I missed some key aspect of your perspective?

Walker must really love AFLW!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
They can fast track the whole thing by throwing some extra money at it, or they can let it develop naturally over a period of time.

I tend to favour the latter approach.
Let the competition develop naturally, bring in some equalisation strategies as necessary...but don't rush the thing, and try and create a parellel competition with the men's competition in a few short years.
Salaries can gradually increase to cover initiatives that create a more equal competition.

Now in the early stages that may mean a few years of an unbalanced competition that favours certain teams but over time these will sort themselves out.
The thing is...Get the basics right. You're than building on a strong foundation rather than a knee jerk approach.

I'm just curious of the current level of interest.
I tried to find crowd numbers for the current round, (or any round) but couldn't see any.
Is there a growing level of interest, or has the expansion shenanigans turned a few people off?

Reply #19
They can fast track the whole thing by throwing some extra money at it, or they can let it develop naturally over a period of time.

Let the competition develop naturally, bring in some equalisation strategies as necessary...but don't rush the thing, and try and create a parellel competition with the men's competition in a few short years.
Salaries can gradually increase to cover initiatives that create a more equal competition.

Now in the early stages that may mean a few years of an unbalanced competition that favours certain teams but over time these will sort themselves out.
The thing is...Get the basics right. You're than building on a strong foundation rather than a knee jerk approach.

I tried to find crowd numbers for the current round, (or any round) but couldn't see any.
Is there a growing level of interest, or has the expansion shenanigans turned a few people off?

Listening to the commentary and crowd noise, the shrieking, high pitched voices you hear (quite noticeable) suggests to  me the crowds are small and there are are lots of females and less males. Some of that comes from the ground obviously but you can tell apart the crowd noise from it. As I said, I don't watch much let alone every game but that's what I have gleaned from it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #21
I have tried to watch the AFLW but the standard of the game just frustrates me to the point I have to switch it off. Too many players with poor skills and as LP suggested it has a part time look about it and it needs more money thrown at it to attract better athletes who can improve the quality of play.
Won't be popular or politically correct with my next comments but ...
When the men's game is naturally used as a yardstick to measure the women's game it's very hard just like in cricket, basketball etc to get enthusiastic about watching anything else but the higher standard male competition.
I want to like the AFLW but it's got a long long way to go...

Reply #22
I have tried to watch the AFLW but the standard of the game just frustrates me to the point I have to switch it off. Too many players with poor skills and as LP suggested it has a part time look about it and it needs more money thrown at it to attract better athletes who can improve the quality of play.
Won't be popular or politically correct with my next comments but ...
When the men's game is naturally used as a yardstick to measure the women's game it's very hard just like in cricket, basketball etc to get enthusiastic about watching anything else but the higher standard male competition.
I want to like the AFLW but it's got a long long way to go...

EB I'm no aficionado by any stretch on these but to me eye, I think woman's cricket, basketball and soccer for that matter are very watchable. Again my opinion only and no offence to the elderly but AFLW looks like old retirement village people trying to play AFL. Its slow, poor skilled, it's just terrible.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
EB I'm no aficionado by any stretch on these but to me eye, I think woman's cricket, basketball and soccer for that matter are very watchable. Again my opinion only and no offence to the elderly but AFLW looks like old retirement village people trying to play AFL. Its slow, poor skilled, it's just terrible.

I’m not anything other than a very occasional non fan of those three sports but if I do see them I tend to find reasonable and comparative skills between the two teams and to me that produces a watchable contest.
Whereas a 100 pt flogging offers zero interest at all.

As to our girls, I haven’t seen them play for 4/6 weeks, I did catch the second half this week… :(
Suns came out and kicked the first goal which hurt but I was impressed with our improvement particularly early in the 3rd in composure and actually hitting teammates by hand, the turnovers came often from dropped marks up forward which were rebounded.
My previous viewing was that we were constantly under siege and in panic mode which we were at times here too but there have been improvements made.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #24
So athletes train for years and leave home base to compete once every four years for just a few weeks, ultimately getting a small fortune from sponsors regardless of results, while the AFLW girls sacrifice months on end on the road as travelling paupers facing death at every challenge! :o

Have I missed some key aspect of your perspective?

Walker must really love AFLW!
not sure what your argument is, but do you want to compare a run up of preparing at home vs moving across the country to play footy for 10 or 20k per year for less than half a year?  How much do the girls get paid for both actions?  Is it possible to work a part time job and swap states to play footy vs becoming an elite swimmer and being able to choose your base to launch yourself taking off a few weeks per year to compete at meets?

I know plenty of people who have tried to make a fist at playing elite sports.  The pathway to team sports is largely right place right time, and right opportunities.  The Olympians have a different pathway.  Neither is easy but you can make an Olympic games by being dedicated at your craft and training right.  The aflw and other sports like it are largely situational.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
I'm not saying AFLW is exclusively half-ar5ed, or that other sports are exclusively more professional, but it's pretty clear to me that while some in AFLW are trying their very very best to build a long term professional pathway, and are prepared to do the hard yards now to get that result, others are just making hay while the sun shines.

What worries me is that it seems to be the hay makers who are also the loudest voices of complaint, and as such I doubt they have best interests in mind for the game or those who come to the game after them.

Mind you this isn't exclusive to any sport, it's just a difficult time for AFLW. Jus a year or so ago Women's sport around the country was complaining that it was being deconstructed by the largess of AFLW, the money was too big, other sports couldn't compete. Not much has changed, except now many are using a lack of money as an excuse for the game not being an AFL like spectacle, it never will be no matter how much money gets thrown at it, and the problem isn't money at all, the problem as I see it is one of expectations!

I do not expect VFL players to earn money like AFL players, yet VFL games pull larger crowds than AFLW, while some in the AFLW bemoan wages and claim it would be an better product if wages had some parity, yet I doubt it will ever even match VFL!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26

If you want equalisation, you need to ditch the zoned drafting.
That is the biggest drawback of an even comp.
The only reason its currently zoned is because the money isn't big enough to get players to relocate.
Increase the wages to the point where players can and will relocate and then you are halfway there to an equal comp.

Reply #27
If you want equalisation, you need to ditch the zoned drafting.
That is the biggest drawback of an even comp.
The only reason its currently zoned is because the money isn't big enough to get players to relocate.
Increase the wages to the point where players can and will relocate and then you are halfway there to an equal comp.

I’m not sure that it’s as simple as that.  Players like our skipper have a career and it will be many years before playing AFLW footy trumps her career and many others.

Zoned drafting is inequitable and is holding the competition back.  Unfortunately, the alternative will exclude many players.  Like many AFL initiatives, the outcomes are often counter-intuitive.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #28
I’m not sure that it’s as simple as that.  Players like our skipper have a career and it will be many years before playing AFLW footy trumps her career and many others.

Zoned drafting is inequitable and is holding the competition back.  Unfortunately, the alternative will exclude many players.  Like many AFL initiatives, the outcomes are often counter-intuitive.

Yep
It would have to be significant money to induce some players to move...and some parity with the salaries of male players won't happen for a long time... if ever.

The problem is that they haven't started this competition with young 18 year olds, but rather women in their mid twenties and above, many with careers well under way, some in relationships, and with other factors meaning that a long distance move, even for an increased money offer is not viable or desirable.

It's a teething issue that's a problem with commencing a competition with a wide range of ages and situational issues.
It will sort itself out in coming years as younger players become the main source of new blood.

Reply #29

I think i seem to be missing something from your post, or you from mine.

Adjusting the wages and 'un-zoning' the draft doesn't effect current players. They can still play where they want and work as much or as little as they want. If it gets to the stage where they can't do both, then fair enough, but i don't expect that to be an immediate change.

However, as 18yo girls coming into the competition, it will make a difference. They don't have careers to speak of and earning a full wage is enough to support them financially to the point that working (or studying) is optional, not required.

If someone chose work over footy, so be it, its happened in the mens game too. Adrian DeLuca retired at 25 or whatever it was because he could earn more from his profession (an accountant IIRC) then as a footballer.

Essentially the competition will take 10 years to fully be evened out after the change to the zoned draft as it will take that long for the players already on list to be phased out.