Skip to main content
Topic: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics (Read 6944 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics

Reply #45
I'm sure team left would be equally as forgiving if photos of Gina in black face emerged.

I'd be especially forgiving if Gina was sterilising herself whilst wearing blackface
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #46
Some of the very same people that rallied to attack Carlton's theme song because of it's black face origins, seem absent and silent on Magda's past simply because it doesn't seem to suit the current agenda.

Let's not even discuss the Newman incident, which as I recall was also part of a comedy sketch.

Fat white wealthy lesbian leftist angel of mercy, versus the ageing privileged wealthy white middle aged man in lycra demon racist!

I'm not sure I could find a better or more definitive examples of both "hypocrisy" and "arbitrary" in a such acts, and I'm not sure you'll find a better example of the plasticity of reporting in a post-truth world! It's so plastic some have bent over backwards far enough to kiss their own clacker.

Yet they expect, actually they demand, to be taken seriously! :o

I'll never understand how people can maintain face while adjusting rules of judgement dependant on the target.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Dan to the rescue, Vic Gov has given NA $15M. He is the master at point scoring, go on him though.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Dan to the rescue, Vic Gov has given NA $15M. He is the master at point scoring, go on him though.
Earlier this century the Vic government gave Hancock a 100 year exclusive rights deal to access, mine and develop the swath of land stretching from East Gippsland to Apollo Bay which is full of light metals like titanium sands, rare earths and other precious minerals. At the moment she does nothing with it, because the lease goes up in value day after day, week after week earning her billions on paper for doing nada.

I'm not sure the current move is so altruistic, it might be more about looking after Hancock than NA!

Whether you agree with it or not, it's does show just how far ahead of the opposition Dan's crew are in terms of strategy and implementation. However, keep in mind, like the ports sale, when Hancock won the rights they immediately signed a joint venture agreement with China, so China profits as well!

Federally ports bad, but mining it seems is good, such is the arbitrary nature of politics.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
NO ONE is expected to apologise for their parents, some may choose to, but thats their personal choice.
The issue is that the daughter refuses to comment on her fathers beliefs... its easy to say "I hold no such beliefs"
100% NB
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #50

What a disgrace, in the weeks the feds gave $2.2B to a tunnel we don't need and stripped $1.7B from hospitals we throw $15M at a sports sponsorship. How in the world are these people making decisions on our behalf!
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #51
What a disgrace, in the weeks the feds gave $2.2B to a tunnel we don't need and stripped $1.7B from hospitals we throw $15M at a sports sponsorship. How in the world are these people making decisions on our behalf!

Maybe they get more economic benefit from the comp than the $15m investment ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #52
Yay the tax payer picks up the tab. Yay!
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #53
LP, it's a miracle that an exploration lease was granted over the ground you mention.  I'll have to get online see for myself.     But the chances of a company ever getting access to that ground are zero.  Not a snowballs chance in hell.  But the rents will still need to be paid on it, EIS and IA consultants will be required etc etc etc.  The alphabet soup of Vic Government bureaucracies will string them along and bleed them dry like leeches.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #54
NO ONE is expected to apologise for their parents, some may choose to, but thats their personal choice.
The issue is that the daughter refuses to comment on her fathers beliefs... its easy to say "I hold no such beliefs"

i really don't see why this is such a big deal. People apologise on others' behalf in all walks of life. If your 2 year old clocks the 2 year old next door, do you refuse to apologise ? In court cases involving serious crime, family members of the perpetrator apologise to the victim's family. If your partner gets on the turps and offends someone close to you, you apologise on their behalf etc. Why is this so hard to understand ?

Reply #55
Some of the very same people that rallied to attack Carlton's theme song because of it's black face origins, seem absent and silent on Magda's past simply because it doesn't seem to suit the current agenda.

Let's not even discuss the Newman incident, which as I recall was also part of a comedy sketch.

Fat white wealthy lesbian leftist angel of mercy, versus the ageing privileged wealthy white middle aged man in lycra demon racist!

I'm not sure I could find a better or more definitive examples of both "hypocrisy" and "arbitrary" in a such acts, and I'm not sure you'll find a better example of the plasticity of reporting in a post-truth world! It's so plastic some have bent over backwards far enough to kiss their own clacker.

Yet they expect, actually they demand, to be taken seriously! :o

I'll never understand how people can maintain face while adjusting rules of judgement dependant on the target.

Yes Stephen Hagan has been remarkably silent about Magda’s blackface.  He was the only person promoting the spurious racist origins of our club song and he clammed up when his tenuous argument was ridiculed by by one and all.

Of course, Dr Hagan may have had something to say when Magda’s blackface was an issue three years ago.  I don’t really recall.  Magda’s honesty and ownership of her wrongdoing at that time meant that the issue died fairly quickly. 

That’s in stark contrast to Sam Newman who still maintains that he did nothing wrong and is still defended by his accomplice, Eddie McGuire. 

I’m not sure that Newman’s blackface skit could be called comedy.  He was attempting to deride Nicky Winmar for his anti-racist activism and it wasn’t humorous at all. Not that humour excuses racist stereotyping and parodying, whether it’s done by Magda, Newman, Alice Kunek or Justin Trudeau.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
IIRC, he gave $220M to the Docklands Stadium Upgrade in the middle of the pandemic.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #57
Maybe they get more economic benefit from the comp than the $15m investment ?

Netball Australia are broke, can't play their players and now we are going to try and build a case that a sponsor is going to get a return on an investment. Hope its not one of your family members that waits in a tent outside a hospital to be admitted to emergency, next time so we can fund netball!
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #58
i really don't see why this is such a big deal. People apologise on others' behalf in all walks of life. If your 2 year old clocks the 2 year old next door, do you refuse to apologise ? In court cases involving serious crime, family members of the perpetrator apologise to the victim's family. If your partner gets on the turps and offends someone close to you, you apologise on their behalf etc. Why is this so hard to understand ?

I think it's a fair question to ask Gina if she believes in the same things her father said.
I'd also be more than willing to apolgise for my children's behaviour up to a point where they are of an age that they can understand right from wrong and become reponsible for their own actions.
We can feel a responsibity for those close to us if our actions facilitated their wrong doings or we failed to intervene when we could have.

But I just don't belive we are responsible in any way for the actions of our ancestors.
We have no control over those deeds or actions...and in many cases our own beliefs may conflict sharply with theirs.

We can be sorry that things they were responsible for occurred...but we shouldn't bear the guilt.
It's too complex a situation because in our own ancestry there would have been many 'victims' of racism and abuse.

Reply #59

What tunnel don't we need?

Every single thing being built is about 20 to 30 years late.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson