Skip to main content
Topic: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics (Read 7125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics

Reply #60
I think it's a fair question to ask Gina if she believes in the same things her father said.
I'd also be more than willing to apolgise for my children's behaviour up to a point where they are of an age that they can understand right from wrong and become reponsible for their own actions.
We can feel a responsibity for those close to us if our actions facilitated their wrong doings or we failed to intervene when we could have.

But I just don't belive we are responsible in any way for the actions of our ancestors.
We have no control over those deeds or actions...and in many cases our own beliefs may conflict sharply with theirs.

We can be sorry that things they were responsible for occurred...but we shouldn't bear the guilt.
It's too complex a situation because in our own ancestry there would have been many 'victims' of racism and abuse.

Personally I would try and avoid the word "guilt." It seems to me a word used in turbo mode by the right to wedge and cause trouble. I think a better word is "awareness." Simply having some awareness that social, racial, political and other structures privilege certain groups over others, and when you combine that with even a modicum of decency and empathy (and you're one of the privileged), you try and do your bit to equalise the imbalance. Even if "your bit" is something trivial like speaking up on a football forum.

Reply #61
Netball Australia are broke, can't play their players and now we are going to try and build a case that a sponsor is going to get a return on an investment. Hope its not one of your family members that waits in a tent outside a hospital to be admitted to emergency, next time so we can fund netball!

Its not a simple question of $15m to netball or 5 hospital beds, theres a bigger picture of encouraging people to have healthy active lifestyles, because that reduces chronic health problems from existing, let along clogging up the hospitals.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #62
I'm not sure that Newman’s blackface skit could be called comedy.  He was attempting to deride Nicky Winmar for his anti-racist activism and it wasn’t humorous at all. Not that humour excuses racist stereotyping and parodying, whether it’s done by Magda, Newman, Alice Kunek or Justin Trudeau.

Actually Winmar was supposed to be on the show and didn't show up. Throughout the show Sam kept asking Eddie is he here yet with the longer the show went the less likely he was going to turn up. At the last break Newman came out in blackface and said "I'm here bla bla"
Following week he had Winmar's guernsey which was a bulldogs one from memory and he apologised directly to him for any offence and that he wish he had the jumper last week and it wouldn't have happened.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #63
Its not a simple question of $15m to netball or 5 hospital beds, theres a bigger picture of encouraging people to have healthy active lifestyles, because that reduces chronic health problems from existing, let along clogging up the hospitals.
Yes, I'm not opposed to the investment for this very reason, but I'm not going to imagine that it is 100% altruistic either, sorry for my cynicism. :(

Anything that encourages kids to get into activity and off the screens must be a good thing, I write banging away at a keyboard! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
My perception is that Newman is THE most insincere person to walk the planet until Trump came along.
Any apology made by him is seen in that light, imho.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #65
Yes, I'm not opposed to the investment for this very reason, but I'm not going to imagine that it is 100% altruistic either, sorry for my cynicism. :(

Anything that encourages kids to get into activity and off the screens must be a good thing, I write banging away at a keyboard! ::)

Im not so fussed about the screens as such, but the obesity etc.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #66
My perception is that Newman is THE most insincere person to walk the planet until Trump came along.
I think it's mostly a character he plays, in real life I've seen him behave quite the opposite.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
Im not so fussed about the screens as such, but the obesity etc.
True, but thin and inactive isn't necessarily healthy either, sport and other physical activity brings more than just physical health.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
I think it's mostly a character he plays, in real life I've seen him behave quite the opposite.
And thats quite possible, but i still have my perceptions of him, which is almost racist in itself...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #69
Newman, sigh.

Reply #70
And yet, those who know him well and have been through troubled times speak very highly of him for constantly checking in and helping them get through those times of despair.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
Netball has a big following, that's a lot of potential votes for Dan.
Get down to Sunshine Hospital ER in the West of Melbourne, it really needs the 15 million....

Reply #72
Netball has a big following, that's a lot of potential votes for Dan.
Get down to Sunshine Hospital ER in the West of Melbourne, it really needs the 15 million....

Agree EB

The state has more debt then ever, the vast majority of businesses are struggling and god help ya if your have a heart attack as the ambulance service is broken. The roads on the north where I live have had potholes the size of basketballs all over them and nothing gets done yet he thinks our state above all other states can afford to spend 15M on this cause. I have to hand it to him he is the ultimate poli. And despite all his games the libs remain quieter then church mice. What a sad state of affairs this state has at the moment politically.

The thing is regardless of how weak the libs are imo you can’t allow this bloke to continue and I just hope the people in this state (excluding the dielhard labour voters of course) remember what he has done to us and don’t have that awful case of amnesia like Dan did when it comes time to send him packing. 

Reply #73
And yet, those who know him well and have been through troubled times speak very highly of him for constantly checking in and helping them get through those times of despair.
Years ago as part of pre-season our U18s/19s would have to spend some evenings volunteering with Fr Bob Maguire's mission in and around the city. Mostly KP duty or similar. Celebs would rock up sporadically, some I think looking for cheap publicity. Newman was the only one they crossed paths with who was volunteering on a regular basis.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
Years ago as part of pre-season our U18s/19s would have to spend some evenings volunteering with Fr Bob Maguire's mission in and around the city. Mostly KP duty or similar. Celebs would rock up sporadically, some I think looking for cheap publicity. Newman was the only one they crossed paths with who was volunteering on a regular basis.

That's all well and good, and he deserves credit for that, but it's cold comfort to those marginalised individuals and groups who have to deal with his "jokes' at their expense, and who are already doing it tough to begin with.