Skip to main content
Topic: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics (Read 6791 times) previous topic - next topic

Sport, sponsors, activism and politics

The Diamonds/Rinehart spat is dominating the environment thread but it has nothing to do with the environment or climate change.

Bubbling along at the same time are Pat Cummins’ anti-Alinta stance, Saudi Arabia’s use of golf to try to improve its image, the ban on Russian athletes, and now the Socceroos’ powerful criticism of Qatar’s human rights abuses:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/world-cup/fifa-world-cup-2022-socceroos-protest-qatar-human-rights-migrant-workers-news-video-statement-lgbtqi/news-story/c6307919cf59925bfaf43f6b46f6b317

Going back in time there are the Olympic boycotts, Peter Norman’s support of the Black Power protest, athletes taking the knee in support of Black Lives Matter, the Springbok protests and eventual ban on South African sport.  I guess the dreadful Munich Olympics tragedy could also be included as could Hitler’s use of the 1936 Berlin Olympics.  Then there’s tobacco, alcohol, gambling, etc advertising.

The old adage, “sport and politics don’t mix” seems to be more honoured in the breach.

Discuss …

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics

Reply #1
I have no issues with standing up for human rights.

If people from other nations told us what we should and shouldnt be doing here in Australia, we would be very very very very angry.

All my life I have been told that sports and politics dont mix.  In the professional era I see this happening more and more frequently and its starting to become problematic.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Every aspect of life is intertwined with every other aspect. Sports and politics have always mixed. People think just because it's wasn't front page news in
the past  that it never occurred, which in my view is not right. The minute that sports accepted money from commercial entities was the minute they put themselves front and centre in this debate.

I think sportsmen and women piping up and expecting commercial enterprises and governments to do better is a good thing.  Whether it is simply a flash in the pan moment or whether it brings lasting positive change remains to be seen.

Reply #3
Sport gives many athletes a podium from which they can express their opinions.
But as in all walks of life folks will only feel comfortable with them expressing those views on which they agree.
Dawn Fraser spoke the other day in admirable terms about Gina Rinehart and her contribution to sport, but the response to that from many folks would be that Dawn's a 'dinosaur' and should keep quiet.

I accept that sports folk have the right to put forward their opinions and their high profile allows them that opportunity.
But in fact their opinions have no more value, insight, or contribute meaningfully than the bloke running around for the Bidgewarra reserves.

The other thing to consider is while many elite athletes are intelligent, and even informed, most of them have very limited life experience due to the dedication and training required to reach the pinnacle of their chosen sport. They live and breathe the sport during their prime years.

I have little interest in anything they have to say other than relating to their own sport.
There are much better sources available on which to make judgements on social issues and world affairs than elite athletes.

Reply #4
The problem is not with sportspeople and organisations (whether it be sponsors or their employers or both) having differences of opinion or issues, its all about how its dealt with and resolved. For the sake and wellbeing of all parties, it should be done in behing closed doors face to face and respectfully.
As soon as the media parasites get hold of it (especially prior to resolution), its all over.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
If people from other nations told us what we should and shouldnt be doing here in Australia, we would be very very very very angry.

Other nations, UN agencies and many NGOs are constantly telling us what to do Thry ... but we generally just ignore them.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
We could add in "Carlton Respects", the Pink Test, Pride Round, Indigenous Round, and many other causes.

Reply #7
Right on cue, Brian Cook steps up to the plate;

“There is always an element of making sure you have player satisfaction, player engagement, but we need to make sure we have a pretty good business model.

I have no issue in discussing sponsorship with players, but I don’t necessarily think it’s their decision.” 

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/era-of-woke-player-arrives-but-carlton-ceo-brian-cook-says-ultimately-its-the-clubs-call-on-sponsorships-c-8666886

Reply #8
Sport gives many athletes a podium from which they can express their opinions.
But as in all walks of life folks will only feel comfortable with them expressing those views on which they agree.
Dawn Fraser spoke the other day in admirable terms about Gina Rinehart and her contribution to sport, but the response to that from many folks would be that Dawn's a 'dinosaur' and should keep quiet.

I accept that sports folk have the right to put forward their opinions and their high profile allows them that opportunity.
But in fact their opinions have no more value, insight, or contribute meaningfully than the bloke running around for the Bidgewarra reserves.

The other thing to consider is while many elite athletes are intelligent, and even informed, most of them have very limited life experience due to the dedication and training required to reach the pinnacle of their chose sport. They live and breathe the sport during their prime years.

I have little interest in anything they have to say other than relating to their own sport.
There are much better sources available on which to make judgements on social issues and world affairs than elite athletes.

I wanted to express a “like” but I’m getting a “forbidden” pop up.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #9
One advantage sportspeople have is a captive and receptive audience. If they have opinions that encourage positive change, it has the potential to influence more people than a politician or some anonymous rando from the burbs. Especially in Australia, the real pop stars are the sporting heroes.

Reply #10
Other nations, UN agencies and many NGOs are constantly telling us what to do Thry ... but we generally just ignore them.

Are our socceewhos going to put their money where their mouth is and decline participation because of it?

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
Received a survey today in my email inbox regarding the mining industry in WA and any negativity towards any particular company etc etc...went onto name the big miners in terms of ticking boxes but with one company featuring in the questioning more than others.
Reckon either the Mining Industry as a whole or Gina's PR crew might be a bit nervous about the optics of the Netball fiasco....

Reply #12
Hope you barrelled em EB
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #14
Magda Szubanski jumped on the Rinehart pile on not expecting her own past to be brought up.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!