Skip to main content
Topic: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics (Read 6790 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sport, sponsors, activism and politics

Reply #18
Magda has and does work tirelessly for philanthropic causes, without seeking recognition, tax deductions or any number of accolades. Any comparison between Magda's past comedy work and Rinehart's present 'activities' is spurious and crass.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #21
Her actions 30 years ago speak louder than her words today ?
What are her words today ?

"Blacking up " has always been tacky imho. Hopefully she won't do it again.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
Yep, because the person who stole the loaf of bread has no business calling out the mass murderer - it's rank hypocrisy.

Reply #23
Magda spoke about the blackface skit back in 2019:

Magda Szubanski candidly discussed using blackface in a comedy skit 25 years ago and the process she’s gone through to educate herself and others on the issue since.

On Tuesday, the actor spoke at Sydney’s CityTalks - an event series that engages federal and local thought leaders on significant issues - about her own issues with anxiety.

This edition of CityTalks was centered around supporting mental health and wellbeing, especially for Indigenous Australians.

Szubanski said even though she has a diverse background and is from the LGBTQI community, she acknowledges she has made mistakes in the past that could have hurt Indigenous people.

“I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on diversity; I am someone who is very much learning,” she said during a panel mediated by former Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

“Recently, I have been challenged by alt-right trolls who brought up pictures of me doing blackface 25 years ago. Although they’re alt-right trolls, that doesn’t mean they’re wrong.

“It doesn’t mean I don’t agree with their comments. I’ve had to go through a process, as someone who talks about diversity, and I’m also part of that problem. What do we do with people like me?”

At the time, the actor said she had evolved as a person since filming that segment and understands it was the wrong thing to do.

“We didn’t know, and that doesn’t mean you’re off the hook,” Szubanski told HuffPost Australia after the panel.

“You can’t just stop doing it because it’s ‘politically incorrect’ to do it. You have to walk in the other person’s shoes and imagine how they’d feel.”

“It’s making that empathy leap. We’re all on a learning journey.”

Blackface dates back hundreds of years and was most popular in the US at the turn of the 20th century, especially in cities in the Northern and Midwestern regions where there was limited interaction with people of colour, according to the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture.

The practise was used to mock, objectify and ridicule African American people as well as reduce them to stereotypes, such as being lazy or irresponsible.

During Tuesday’s panel, Szubanski asked co-panelist Jennah Dungay, the youth ambassador for AbSec (Aboriginal Child, Family and Community Care State Secretariat), how people who’ve made similar mistakes can use those instances as teachable moments.

“It comes down to a level of understanding,” Dungay explained.

“We are human, people do make mistakes. It’s actually what you learn in that moment [that] is more powerful. You’ve got to share that experience with other people like we are tonight, and I think that’s what changes people’s attitudes when it comes to moving forward.”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
Magda Szubanski jumped on the Rinehart pile on not expecting her own past to be brought up.

Oops!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
I think actions speak louder than words.
Glass Houses ....Stones
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #26
Magda has and does work tirelessly for philanthropic causes, without seeking recognition, tax deductions or any number of accolades. Any comparison between Magda's past comedy work and Rinehart's present 'activities' is spurious and crass.
Comedy? Doubt indigenous folk would have thought it is was comedic. Pure racism and nothing else.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27
I disagree, “blackface” can be racist, absolutely it can and has been.
But is it always 100% ? Absolutely not, is it poor taste ? Sure…

But let’s contrast Magda’s comments with our old friend Gina’s… 🦗🦗
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #28
I disagree, “blackface” can be racist, absolutely it can and has been.
But is it always 100% ? Absolutely not, is it poor taste ?

And who are the judges of that? What are the guidelines for making such judgements? Is there ok blacking up  and not ok blacking up? Can Magda black up but not Sam Newman? I personally think all blacking up is just cheap and tacky.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #29
Cheap and tacky is also in the eye of the beholder though…
Let’s go BIG !