Skip to main content
Topic: Halloween.... (Read 3736 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Halloween....

Reply #30
Fond memories! A mate of mine dropped a bunger into an empty jerrycan. Ended up with no eyelashes and a very interesting hairdo.
And so the rest of the world must be constrained to protect the idiots from themselves! ;D

A Nasty Teabagging (Trust me read on!);
I worked at a place once that banned teabags outside the lunchroom, because a moron dropped a piping hot teat bag into somebodies back pocket and it scalded them, apparently being branded with Liptons on your ar5e is quite distressing! The moron kept his job, the rest of us had to suffer because of that by not being allowed to brew a cuppa on the run!

In life we can probably be fairly lucky. As kids many of us played on dirt mounds or sand dunes with plastic soldiers, tanks and artillery that fired Tom Thumbs, caps and other incendiary gadgets. Roman Candle guns were very popular around Guy Fawkes. Most of us survived unharmed, we didn't cause bush fires, burn down houses or kill the cat, the dirt was probably full of asbestos or heavy metals and most likely more dangerous than the explosives.

Now if you see a kid with a Guy Fawkes mask you probably have to be more worried that they might be hacking your bank account!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Guy Fawkes was great fun back when WE were kids. A different time and different culture. God help us all if todays generation got there hands on anything explosive.
Halloween has always been a bug bear with me. Hate the slow Americanization of our country (lets not forget Valentines day). I used to have constant battles with my kids about it. Called me a wet blanket and a scrooge. Couldn't understand my point of view. One year they were old enough to make the effort of going to the store to pick up the lollies and whatnot for the neighbourhood kids when they came. That lasted a year. Now the "need not apply" sign is back up.

Reply #32
Guy Fawkes was great fun back when WE were kids. A different time and different culture. God help us all if todays generation got there hands on anything explosive.
Halloween has always been a bug bear with me. Hate the slow Americanization of our country (lets not forget Valentines day). I used to have constant battles with my kids about it. Called me a wet blanket and a scrooge. Couldn't understand my point of view. One year they were old enough to make the effort of going to the store to pick up the lollies and whatnot for the neighbourhood kids when they came. That lasted a year. Now the "need not apply" sign is back up.
My daughters have always been the scrooges. Every year they'd want to put up a sign "no trick or treating here", I always said to them there is no need to do that as I thought it was rude, just politely don't answer the door as if no one is home.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
In our neighbourhood, households that want to take part in Halloween put decorations by the front gate.  The children know not to bother at un-decorated properties … and it’s usually around 60m from the gate to the house 🙂

I think that arrangement would work well elsewhere.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Bit of fun for the kids - they get to dress up and walk around the neighbourhood, go to houses that welcome them for trick or treat and everyone is in a good mood and having a good time.

No one is bothered if you participate or don't.

The reserve that I grew up across the road from had a row of pine trees.  Every Guy Fawkes night the fire truck was required to come to put out a fire in the pine trees, caused by fireworks.

Reply #35
When I was a young lad, we had two bonfire nights; British Empire Day and Guy Fawkes.  Fireworks usually went on sale about a month before bonfire night and unsold stock was available for a week or so after bonfire night.

If you saved your paper round money and didn’t go all out on bonfire nights, you could have fireworks from the start of May through till the end of November.

Threepenny bungers were phased out around the time I was old enough to buy fireworks so penny bungers were the most powerful crackers I used.  Apart from throwing them at friends and enemies, blowing up letterboxes, deterring savage dogs, and generally causing havoc, they provided the propellant charge for cracker guns that fired marbles or large ball bearings over impressive distances.

One year we all stocked up on skyrockets, reversed the handlebars on our bikes and fired skyrockets at each other as well as unsuspecting pedestrians and motorists.

Bonfire night was held on the railway reserve at the end of our street.  We collected flammable material in the weeks before bonfire night and made a huge pile.  It included discarded furniture, car tyres and other stuff that shouldn’t be burned.  Most participants received minor burns to go with a lung full of toxic smoke and there were always a couple of folk who got hit by skyrockets.  As far as I can remember, only one kid from our neighbourhood suffered a serious eye injury.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
No. I meant to live there.

Again it was never really cheap, esp if you were a renter, always had high rentals here.
Freight hurts us and certainly will for the foreseeable future but if you don’t need a Myer or David Jones in your life you’re fine as we’ve got most of the other big stores.
Commuting is easy too.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #37
Penny bungers when separated into singletons were excellent when squewered through a cumquat, lit and lobbed over parked cars, well me and my mate thought so but it seemed his older sisters boyfriend didn’t… just can’t figure some people… 😇
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #38
We used to make home made fireworks out of a small pringles can, sparklers (one in tact for a fuse, the rest stripped into the container) and a battery of some kind.  Light them in the middle of an oval and watch from a safe distance.  Fireworks were never easy to come by, but we found a way.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
My last day at Newlands High School was marked by an assembly of all form 6 students during which the principal gave us a pep talk about our futures.  His talk was punctuated by a series of explosions from different parts of the school.

One of my mates had taped sticks of incense to penny bungers and attached the wicks at different points on the incense sticks, creating time delay fuses of different durations.  The bungers were placed in lockers all round the school and the incense sticks ignited.   :D

Reply #40
My daughters have always been the scrooges. Every year they'd want to put up a sign "no trick or treating here", I always said to them there is no need to do that as I thought it was rude, just politely don't answer the door as if no one is home.
We have a very large German Shepherd who handles security at our house and plenty of signage indicating his presence which seems to deter Happy Halloween visitors....as well as Posties, Couriers, Religious salespersons and those annoying Energy salesman and lighting clowns who want to change our light globes and make our lives more green.

Reply #41
We have a very large German Shepherd who handles security at our house and plenty of signage indicating his presence which seems to deter Happy Halloween visitors....as well as Posties, Couriers, Religious salespersons and those annoying Energy salesman and lighting clowns who want to change our light globes and make our lives more green.
Unfortunately my current head of security a.k.a guard dog (Gus the GSP) would gladly let the Happy Halloween visitors....as well as Posties, Couriers, Religious salespersons and those annoying Energy salesman and lighting clowns who want to change our light globes and make our lives more green into the house and probably make them and espresso.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
Unfortunately my current head of security a.k.a guard dog (Gus the GSP) would gladly let the Happy Halloween visitors....as well as Posties, Couriers, Religious salespersons and those annoying Energy salesman and lighting clowns who want to change our light globes and make our lives more green into the house and probably make them and espresso.

Our two Staghounds are a bit like that, but they are large and look intimidating.

I found a great sign for our front gate; “Caution dogs on property.”  It’s sufficiently neutral in the event that they did injure someone but still deters casual visitors.

Reply #43
Reading this thread makes me wonder for the future of csc.

I can't help but read every post thinking it is missing the obligatory...
"Back in my day..." *shaking the walking stick and pushing the glasses back up on the nose and leaning back into the rocking chair tucking themselves back under the blanket*

I feel like a toddler because my age starts with a '4'.

Halloween is very much about having a little fun. The origins mean little nowadays.
It's a bit like Easter. Original meaning is largely lost (to the younger generations at least) and its just about having a bit of fun with the kids.
To those who disagree, can you tell me what the Easter bunny has to do with Jesus? Chocolates? Eggs??

Halloween pre-dates the Americans, so you can get that bee out of your bonnet too.

Reply #44
Reading this thread makes me wonder for the future of csc.

I can't help but read every post thinking it is missing the obligatory...
"Back in my day..." *shaking the walking stick and pushing the glasses back up on the nose and leaning back into the rocking chair tucking themselves back under the blanket*

I feel like a toddler because my age starts with a '4'.

Halloween is very much about having a little fun. The origins mean little nowadays.
It's a bit like Easter. Original meaning is largely lost (to the younger generations at least) and its just about having a bit of fun with the kids.
To those who disagree, can you tell me what the Easter bunny has to do with Jesus? Chocolates? Eggs??

Halloween pre-dates the Americans, so you can get that bee out of your bonnet too.

Listen kid, I don’t even do xmas.
As far as I’m concerned if you want to “celebrate” xmas you should need to show a card that you’ve been god bothering at least 20 maybe 30 times a year so if there’s no regular god bothering then there’s no xmas birthday cake !
Same for the ritual nailing some clown to a wooden cross.
I’m happy to respect those who think their invisible sky friend helps to make them better people but I have zero time for those who just want 4 days of paid holidays.
Let’s go BIG !