Skip to main content
Topic: Hannah Mouncey (Read 27689 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Hannah Mouncey

Reply #120
I don't think that transgender females who transitioned after puberty should be able to take part in women's sport where size and strength provides an advantage.  My point is that transgender females who want to play women's sport will be few and far between.
I get that and I agree.

But I do not understand the opposition to rules preventing transgender in female contact sport, because the risk is asymmetrical. The rules preventing transgender in sports impact hardly anybody by a global comparison, for now, but allowing transgender in sport could be devastating either to those sports or to some of the participating individuals. The issue of transgender rights in sport is so disproportionately represented it can't be the motivation for the ongoing debate, so I have to assume it is a lead-in, a smokescreen. Like complaining about a full stop at the end of a bible in order to have it banned!

Humans are uniquely bastards, they will do something that is against societal standards just because they can, or because they have been told they cannot. The safeguards needed to protect and preserve female contact sport for females are trivial and sensible, the claim they may severely impact a very small minority isn't just an artificial construct, it is trivial concern. Even if they do impact an individual it's as a consequence of that individuals own decisions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
I get that and I agree.

But I do not understand the opposition to rules preventing transgender in female contact sport, because the risk is asymmetrical. The rules preventing transgender in sports impact hardly anybody by a global comparison, for now, but allowing transgender in sport could be devastating either to those sports or to some of the participating individuals. The issue of transgender rights in sport is so disproportionately represented it can't be the motivation for the ongoing debate, so I have to assume it is a lead-in, a smokescreen. Like complaining about a full stop at the end of a bible in order to have it banned!

Humans are uniquely bastards, they will do something that is against societal standards just because they can, or because they have been told they cannot. The safeguards needed to protect and preserve female sports for females are trivial and sensible, the claim they may severely impact a very small minority isn't just an artificial construct, it is trivial concern. Even if they do impact an individual it's as a consequence of that individuals own decisions.

The other side of the coin is folk protesting about gender reassignment.  Are they worried that it's contagious and will spread exponentially until affects 0.1% of the population?

On a lighter note, I read Gore Vidal's "Myra Breckinridge" back in the the late 1960s.  I think that it would stand the test of time as an entertaining satirical story of gender and sexuality.  The sequel, "Myron", is OK but lacks the punch of the first novel.  There was a movie starring Raquel Welch as Myron/Myra but I don't think that it was particularly memorable.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #122
The other side of the coin is folk protesting about gender reassignment.  Are they worried that it's contagious and will spread exponentially until affects 0.1% of the population?
Yes we get the perspective of the nutters, is a nutter perspective, but that cannot be used to justify doing the very opposite of what they desire as that would potentially drastically alter female sports.

We have to be better than allowing or preventing via laws that are an eye for an eye, people have to accept life is aggregation of choices, you can't have it all, many of things you do and decisions you make naturally come at a cost! Kardashian / Jenner existence is not real, they are curated fairy-tales!

I don't want young girls with aspirations of a sporting career rolling up to their club and immediately identifying that they can't possibly compete with Bertha(Formerly 90kg Bert)!
The Force Awakens!