Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton AFLW Review - Half Gone (Read 4974 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton AFLW Review

Reply #30
here i was making a case for females not being treated like inferior backstabbers because the men do it too, and using tangible examples from our own sordid past to do so, and then seeing it become a moderation point.

This is how you fight for women not to be denigrated and being treated with the respect they deserve.

Am I from a different planet or something? Or has the world gone politically correctly stupid?

I'm not sure whether your contribution helps or hinders the feminist cause, but it's got nothing to do with our AFLW review.  Start a new thread if you like  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
I'm probably as responsible for setting the thread off on a bit of a tangent as anyone with my mention of cliques affecting our men's team as well.
I can see some relevance because the women will be judged by the same standards as apply with the men's side, with some allowance made for the semi-professional nature of the women's team at present, but to bring us back on track....

The review will no doubt look at a lot of aspects.
We know the main focus will no doubt be on the coaching.
You wouldn't have to be Nostradamus to predict that there will be changes at the coaching level.
Other areas that will be looked at will be skill development, recruiting, player retention...and the developing culture.

From the outside this looks a bit half-cocked, premature and a bit of a smoke screen for the old coach-sacking chestnut.
If you're going to sack the coach just do it.
But as far as other aspects go, unless there has been some genuine disquiet and complaints from certain team members regarding 'culture' then let the bloody thing settle down.
In many respects this is 'Year One.'
Now that all sides are established we should see a settling of player movement in the coming years.
That in itself should give some stability to the team.

Reply #32
I think that it’s the right time for a review, provided it’s not just looking for reasons to part ways with Harf.

We have had a couple of competitive seasons but we’re really off the pace in comparison to the successful clubs.  The review should examine every aspect of our AFLW program including list management, fitness and conditioning, training, gameplan, team selection, culture and coaching.  I would be reaching out to former players to find out why they left.

The review should set out a strategy for success and it should then be a matter of determining what personnel are best able to implement the strategy.  That may or may not include Harf and it should also identify deficiencies in our list.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
I think that it’s the right time for a review, provided it’s not just looking for reasons to part ways with Harf.

We have had a couple of competitive seasons but we’re really off the pace in comparison to the successful clubs.  The review should examine every aspect of our AFLW program including list management, fitness and conditioning, training, gameplan, team selection, culture and coaching.  I would be reaching out to former players to find out why they left.

The review should set out a strategy for success and it should then be a matter of determining what personnel are best able to implement the strategy.  That may or may not include Harf and it should also identify deficiencies in our list.
I highlighted some of the things that stood out to me.
Our fitness as a group does not appear to be close to some of the 'stronger' clubs. That has been the case for the last couple of seasons.
Our game plan worked very well when we had the personnel to run it, not so great these last couple of years. It definitely needs some work.
Other clubs have had their players knock back large offers to play at a successful club. That needs to be us. I want to hear again that 'nobody leaves Carlton by choice'.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Other clubs have had their players knock back large offers to play at a successful club. That needs to be us. I want to hear again that 'nobody leaves Carlton by choice'.
But there is a reason why that is happening / has happened, and as a club it's a path we have chosen not to participate in as it's very very short term.

When it goes sour at those club's, and they basically have to compromise their football for it to not go sour, it'll go sour big time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
@LP

I don’t think that we’ve been as thorough with our AFLW player vetting as we could have been … and that’s understandable given the infancy of the competition.  However, we should be moving closer to the exhaustive process of the men’s recruitment.  Hopefully, the review will address that.

Reply #36
Harf is about to be announced as the new lead broadcaster on RSN, I suspect that is a sign of change at Carlton.
The Force Awakens!

Harf Gone

Reply #37
They want a full time coach, Harf wasnt able to do it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Harf Gone

Reply #38
The report, as summarised by Sayers, is critical of the coaching and I suspect that Harf would have been moved on even if he was able to give a full time commitment.

Sayers' summary seems to gel with our results over the last couple of seasons and, although I liked Harf as a coach, it's time for a change.

Reply #39
Let's get a woman coach.
What's Daisy Pearce up to...she has some coaching credentials. ;)

Reply #40
We know how these things end. ::)
Thank you for your service Daniel.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1258230?fbclid=IwAR39uwpP82skUnIZuk45KAjEYlgCHWe_LMizVQqmLZtbUIgz-bFhby-e5YQ
It's taken the club 6 weeks to work out a way to word their press release to announce what we all knew. Coach is gone.

In this instance, citing that he cannot perform the role in a full time manner that is required from a senior coach going forward.

Long press release that cites no additional changes.....but it at least looks like they have upped their PR game.

Reply #41
Harf is about to be announced as the new lead broadcaster on RSN, I suspect that is a sign of change at Carlton.

What are this Saturday's Tattslotto numbers?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #42
It's taken the club 6 weeks to work out a way to word their press release to announce what we all knew. Coach is gone.

In this instance, citing that he cannot perform the role in a full time manner that is required from a senior coach going forward.

Long press release that cites no additional changes.....but it at least looks like they have upped their PR game.

I don't see anything sinister in this outcome (of the review) and resultant change.

I think Harf gave his best with what he had, but with increased professionalism required in the W competition it's pretty logical that a full-time senior coach is required. Balancing 2 demanding careers can only see 1 suffer (or both!).

Harf is a very good media performer and I wish him loadsa luck... A career choice with a better future than as a senior coach!

Now to find a senior coach for the gals with strong leadership credentials.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #43
The report, as summarised by Sayers, is critical of the coaching and I suspect that Harf would have been moved on even if he was able to give a full time commitment.

Sayers' summary seems to gel with our results over the last couple of seasons and, although I liked Harf as a coach, it's time for a change.
I was being polite
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #44
Let's get a woman coach.
What's Daisy Pearce up to...she has some coaching credentials. ;)
I would chase Choco Williams, brilliant developer, the girls would seriously benefit from his famous "kicking classes".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th