Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton AFLW Review - Half Gone (Read 5242 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton AFLW Review - Half Gone

Reply #60
Nah, I blame that on the half ass rules the AFL set up which allowed the new clubs to pilfer the crap out of the established club like ours. Given the pittance the girls are paid (again an AFL park up), big offers from the new clubs were impossible to refuse.

Shorter careers is another factor that encourages AFLW players to chase dollars a little more than their AFL counterparts.

That said, I think Harf probably was instrumental in some players leaving.  He tried to impose some standards; if you're not sure you want to be here, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
Fans seem to be really struggling with how different AFLW is in regards to professionalism or the lack of it. Very few girls will stray when they have a chance to play with mates or for the club they supported as children. It's having your cake and eating, which seems to be a perennial problem with professional women's team sports.

Sure I'll get lambasted as sexist, misogynous, etc., etc.., whatever!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
It wouldn't be a normal Carlton season without a coach sacking.

I'm glad to see Harford is prepared (at least in part) to call a spade a spade.

Reply #63
It wouldn't be a normal Carlton season without a coach sacking.

I'm glad to see Harford is prepared (at least in part) to call a spade a spade.
A little "unclassy" if you ask me. Despite our long list of coaching casualties over the years, none have gone out swinging, they have all stayed classy despite how they may have been treated. Can't say the same for Harf, having said that he is in the media so it was to be expected I guess.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
Now Brett Munro has been kyboshed, will there be anybody left standing?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
A little "unclassy" if you ask me. Despite our long list of coaching casualties over the years, none have gone out swinging, they have all stayed classy despite how they may have been treated. Can't say the same for Harf, having said that he is in the media so it was to be expected I guess.

I think that Harf's criticism of the program has some merit and shows that he was invested in the players.  His comment, "I'm still not 100 per cent convinced of what high performance in a part-time program actually is." strikes at the crux of the matter.  The AFL limits the amount of training AFLW players can do but they are expected to be high performance athletes and fitness and coaching staff are expected to have their players ready to go at the drop of a hat.  I agree with Harf that a review of the AFLW is due.

The bottom line is that our performances have been disappointing over the last couple of seasons.  The predations of expansion clubs, failure to retain players and poor recruitment choices have all played a part.  At times, our ball movement and execution was outstanding, and then we'd lose momentum and crash and burn.  It was reminiscent of our AFL team under Teague.  Harf had to go, particularly with his other commitments.

Patricia Kinnersly needs to lift her game and drive the AFLW program with the same vigor that's now applied to the AFL program.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
We were probably unlucky not to win the flag a couple of seasons ago. However our game style didn't improve, we seemed to lack pace and our ball use and overall skills seemed to be sub-par. We became a very young side and our intent was often up and down, both week to week and within games. AFLW really should be a 17 Game season with a few more players on the list if they want the professionalism they are talking about. Also the Club needs to invest in the VFLW side as well. The Club has very good resources and training facilities but needs to develop a culture where Carlton is a Club of destination.

Reply #67
Having a senior player have a stinking season and **** off, giving the club a clip at every opportunity didn't help unity.   Then blue-chip senior players get ripped from the side by parasitic clubs without compensation.  Hard to win games when you simply don't have the cattle. He was never going to survive the review but he was on a hiding to nothing, he had zero chance.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #68
Harf had to go purely on the departing talent.

Half the job is keeping everyone invested.

If they don't want to be here year in and year out thats an issue at coach level and it might very well be about being available for his players.

Clearly something wasn't right there.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #69
Having a senior player have a stinking season and **** off, giving the club a clip at every opportunity didn't help unity.   Then blue-chip senior players get ripped from the side by parasitic clubs without compensation.  Hard to win games when you simply don't have the cattle. He was never going to survive the review but he was on a hiding to nothing, he had zero chance.

Which player are you talking about. There is a few that could fit that bill.

I'm not sure Half going will solve any problems at the club. The only hope is they realise (which they seem to have already) that they need to take the comp more seriously, and that should highlight that the coach (now gone) was not the problem to begin with.

Reply #70
I think that in their review they concluded that “there was confusion and lack of understanding of the gameplan”
On the face of it, that’s on the coach.
Problem was there were few old hands and too many kids so you’d sort of expect that game knowledge would be down, or you should expect that.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #71
I think that in their review they concluded that “there was confusion and lack of understanding of the gameplan”
On the face of it, that’s on the coach.
Problem was there were few old hands and too many kids so you’d sort of expect that game knowledge would be down, or you should expect that.

Yep, and as Abe often quoted from Matthew (Bible), 'No man can serve two masters.' And when both masters are particularly demanding in terms of time and commitment, you're on a hiding to nothing.

The new regime at the good ship PP, has only been at the helm for a year and change, and they inherited a cot-case on many levels. The first priority was to fix the blokes comp, now to fix the gals comp.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #72
The problem is that up until now it's been a bit like trying to make a jigsaw when people keep stealing your pieces.
The task should be a bit less difficult with a full set of teams and a reduction in movement (although that may still continue for a year ot two).
A full time coach will further add to that stability.
In some respects we're at 'Year One', so give it a bit of time.

Reply #73
The problem is that up until now it's been a bit like trying to make a jigsaw when people keep stealing your pieces.
The task should be a bit less difficult with a full set of teams and a reduction in movement (although that may still continue for a year ot two).
A full time coach will further add to that stability.
In some respects we're at 'Year One', so give it a bit of time.

Its worse than that though. The puzzle itself keeps changing!

The fact you can only contract players for MAX 2 years means you can't plan a team or build around a player or players, because 2 years later they could all be gone! We have been leaking players for a while because we were good at picking them and developing them and its come back to bite us.

Reply #74
Its worse than that though. The puzzle itself keeps changing!

The fact you can only contract players for MAX 2 years means you can't plan a team or build around a player or players, because 2 years later they could all be gone! We have been leaking players for a while because we were good at picking them and developing them and its come back to bite us.
Yep, rather than being penalised for adopting AFLW late, rock spiders like the Cheats have been rewarded, coming in late and picking the eyes out of developed talent.

Our club, in partnership with the Feds and State poured money in developing Princes Park as the developing headquarters of AFLW. Then years later the Cheats who ignored AFLW cry poor and get funding to bring a new facility up to gender neutral scratch!

Of course this is added to the already more complex environment that is evident in managing AFLW lists, because many of the girls seem incapable of checking personal relationships or conflicts at the door, this will always leave them in a semi-professional state. You can't have your cake and eat it, you either get the big dollars and work with who you are told to work with, or you pick and choose and accept less.

The lesson is next time the AFL float a new project, run away, let the others do the hard work first!
The Force Awakens!