Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton AFLW Review - Half Gone (Read 4987 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton AFLW Review - Half Gone

Reply #75
I don't know how much noise we make about it at an official level.
Do we just sit back and take it.

We had a review.
From a quick reading of the of the findings it seems as though the club is wearing all the repsonsibility for the position and laying no blame at all on the structures and restrictions put in place by the expanding WAFL competition.

As a result of that it then became a matter of which personnel at the club wore the blame and needed to be replaced.

But we always knew that was the objective. ;)

Reply #76
Funny, normally early adopters are 'first in best dressed', but in the AfLW universe normal rules don't apply.  Come on late and get concessions appears to be a strategy as well.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #77
Funny, normally early adopters are 'first in best dressed', but in the AfLW universe normal rules don't apply.  Come on late and get concessions appears to be a strategy as well.

I don't know if you are commenting on the recent announcements or if your timing is just a coincidence.
In any event, the AFLW have announced that the 4 new teams that raped and pillaged everyone last year get further concessions.
You may remember we lost Prespakis and Gee to the Bombers and as compensation we got to KEEP our first round pick.
Well it appears that those same teams can steal more players from teams. This time the amount of players depends on your finishing position. Due to us coming in the lower ladder region, we can only lose 1 additional player.
The 14 remaining clubs have limits on the number of players they can lose via PSP:

Clubs that finished 1-4 post-finals (Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, North Melbourne): no more than five players
Clubs that finished 5th-8th post-finals (Collingwood, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Geelong): no more than two players
Clubs that finished 9th-18th (Gold Coast, GWS, Fremantle, St Kilda, Carlton, West Coast); no more than one player

Nothing of note coming from our camp as yet, but Chloe Molloy has jumped ship to Sydney under these rules.

Talk of Jamie Lambert and Steph Chiocci heading to the Saints in a trade for Tarni White as well.

Reply #78
I don't know if you are commenting on the recent announcements or if your timing is just a coincidence.
In any event, the AFLW have announced that the 4 new teams that raped and pillaged everyone last year get further concessions.
You may remember we lost Prespakis and Gee to the Bombers and as compensation we got to KEEP our first round pick.
Well it appears that those same teams can steal more players from teams. This time the amount of players depends on your finishing position. Due to us coming in the lower ladder region, we can only lose 1 additional player.
Nothing of note coming from our camp as yet, but Chloe Molloy has jumped ship to Sydney under these rules.

Talk of Jamie Lambert and Steph Chiocci heading to the Saints in a trade for Tarni White as well.

Steph should come to Carlton...or at least to the forum :D

Reply #80
Reckon there was more fans watching a workday pre season mens practice match then the AFLW crowds in finals!

Think about that for a second.

Tells how well AFLW is going.

Reply #81
Reckon there was more fans watching a workday pre season mens practice match then the AFLW crowds in finals!

Reckon you are wrong.

Reply #82

AFLW is unwatchable for me at present, especially our mob.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
Anyone who watches AFLW hoping to see an AFL contest is going to be disappointed.  It’s a different game and it’s still evolving its own gamestyle.

I occasionally watch netball and I’m always impressed by the athleticism and skill of the netballers.  It’s a nuanced game and I don’t think blokes could play it as well as women do.  The same goes for women’s basketball and hockey; the rules are the same but the way women play is different but no less skilful or entertaining.

LP has been banging on about this for a while and he’s right; AFLW coaches need to build their game plans around the attributes and limitations of their players, not impose a version of AFL footy.

Harf was almost there, but we need a coach who understands women’s footy from personal experience and can come up with a winning formula for our list.

I enjoyed watching our AFLW team over the first couple of seasons but our games became increasingly difficult to watch.  In part that’s down to the way the competition has grown and the bias towards the newbies at the expense of the foundation clubs.  It’s also down to strange list management decisions, unrealistic expectations and limited talent.

It’s an evolutionary competition and it should only get better … provided the newer clubs have to fend for themselves.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #84
Well said DJC.
I’ve watched a handful of womens cricket games and that’s not a bad contest.
Certainly better than what our AFLW team dished up in 2022.
Hopefully we can get some development going on in 2023.

But it begs the question why watch and comment on a sport that you’re plainly not interested in ?
I don’t like tennis, I don’t watch it and I (rarely 😎) bother telling people how much I dislike it 🤣
I get the feeling that some who don’t like womens sport also don’t like them in politics and often in any other pursuit other than a “traditional” role at home… I am not saying that I think that’s the case in this thread, but it’s crossed my mind whilst listening to real world people discussing it.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #85

But it begs the question why watch and comment on a sport that you’re plainly not interested in ?
I don’t like tennis, I don’t watch it and I (rarely 😎) bother telling people how much I dislike it 🤣
I get the feeling that some who don’t like womens sport also don’t like them in politics and often in any other pursuit other than a “traditional” role at home… I am not saying that I think that’s the case in this thread, but it’s crossed my mind whilst listening to real world people discussing it.

Social media has amplified the opinionated and reactionary aspects of contemporary culture.

The reasons could be as you say, or it could simply be that they find it boring. There are plenty of AFL men's games (not Carlton, but in general) that I switch off well before half time.

Reply #86
Well said DJC.
I’ve watched a handful of womens cricket games and that’s not a bad contest.
Certainly better than what our AFLW team dished up in 2022.
Hopefully we can get some development going on in 2023.

I watched it at the start, I didn't mind it, I thought the players went very hard, skills were rusty but would get better.
I think the issues I have with it (ie I find it unwatchable) is purely due to the way the game is administrated. The players are remunerated nowhere near well enough, they are not professional (ie they have to hold normal jobs to live) and IMO it shows on the field (to me at least). When Livingstone and her cronies get fair dinkum with it, it will be reflected on field.
Interesting to here comments from Cook at our AGM, he stated that they are going to do exactly what they have done with AFL program, best people possible, he talked about world class facilities and people. So as a club, we are getting fair dinkum and investing money in our AFLW program which is great. That needs to be matched (at the very least) by the AFL (to give the comp and a boost or shot in the arm no pun intended). To be 110% crystal clear, my gripe with it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there is a W at the end of  AFL.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #87
The problems with AFLW are with the way the competition is run as much as anything.

There seems to be 2 steps forward, 1 step back.....every year.

The fact we don't have a season length, start or anything else right now is nothing short of laughable.

Money is increasing for players.
Coaches are being forced to become full time.
Players are now able to nominate for the national draft, rather than just their own state (which is still an option if they choose) but its getting closer to the way it should be.

However, until there can be some kind of long term certainty, we will suffer through more of the same.
As an example....
- Player can only be contracted for max 2 years.
- Season length is unknown
- Rules are still able to be changed for the upcoming season.
- New clubs are able to poach players from opposition clubs without any compensation.

So....how is a coach able to get a game plan built around players when they don't know who those players are, if the existing players will even be there come the start of the season and no long term certainty that they will be there 2 years from now.
On top of that, the season is so short that there is no time to tweak a game plan and turn a season around if you get it wrong (or even just injuries) early on in the year.

What needs to happen is...
1. Truly national draft like the mens, no more zones.
2. No cap on length of contracts to players and coaches
3. No more poaching of players at all.......or at the very least, get some adequate compensation.
4. Increased pay to the point that players don't NEED employment elsewhere.
5. Certainty around the length of the seasons in coming years
6. An even draw/fixture of the back of the length of the season decided - go back to conferences to make it fair if required.
7. Certainty around the rules for the coming years.

THEN and only then, can you actually have a competition that is deemed a professional competition.
Until then, we are simply impersonating one.