Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes towards 2023 (Read 5125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes towards 2023

Reply #15
I suspect Lucy's decision was largely influenced by the money on offer and, possibly, choice of playing position.
Money, sure, she'll get more for leaving.
Playing position would certainly be something she'd take into account.
The fact she has a coach up there would also make a difference!  ::)

I hope we are resurrecting Norm Smith and thats why we haven't made a coaching announcement yet. Otherwise i don't know what we are waiting for.

Reply #16
I feel as supporters we've stuck by our AFLW list more than just about any other club, and we haven't been rewarded for showing support from day one, instead I feel deserted!

Have a look at CheatsFC fans, halfway into the last season after a few losses they were calling for Prespakis to be trade away for draft picks!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
I really don't know the reasons why McEvoy left and we should be wary of our speculation, however she is another good player who has left the Club. This is of concern.

Here is a 'best 21' team i put together of players who have wanted out at Carlton AFLW

FB   Exon   Wilson   

HB   McEvoy   Jakobsson   Gay

C   Brazzalle   Prespakis   Egan

HF   Loynes Harris   Gee

FF   Stevens   Jones   

R   Watt   Davey   Arnell

INT   S.Hosking   J. Hosking   Lucas-Rodd
   Dalton   Downie   

I'm sure i've missed plenty in there 2.

Reply #18
Kate Shierlaw's another one.

Some of those were pushed out rather than wanting out but the point's still valid; we've lost some good footballers and some mediocre ones.

I'm sure that I remember AFL clubs nominating players to go to expansion teams back in the day.  That would have been a better process than allowing the AFLW expansion clubs to cherrypick.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
There may have been lots of reasons for her leaving but don't quickly dismiss instability and uncertainty as one of them.

We're a bit like a sieve, leaking players each year.
We probably wouldn't be an attractive destination club, and perhaps not one where you're confident, as a player, about the future.

It's hard to be a supporter of that when the players themselves seem a bit mercenary.

Reply #20
Kate Shierlaw's another one.

Some of those were pushed out rather than wanting out but the point's still valid; we've lost some good footballers and some mediocre ones.

I'm sure that I remember AFL clubs nominating players to go to expansion teams back in the day.  That would have been a better process than allowing the AFLW expansion clubs to cherrypick.
I actually had Shierlaw as one, but then left her out of the side when i was putting it together as i had her behind Harris, Stevens and  Courtney Jones as forward.

Reply #21
The comp has become a joke.

The biggest problem with the AFL is too many Melbourne clubs yet we created a women's comp with the same teams.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #22

The biggest problem with the AFL is too many Melbourne clubs yet we created a women's comp with the same teams.

That's actually a pretty good point.
It's going to create the same problems of relocation and retention that the mens competition experiences.

The problem is there probably needs to be that overall club structure to support the women's comp in these early years rather than esatablishing new entities.
Which teams would miss out.

Reply #23
North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, Hawthorn and StKilda.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #24

Agree with Principal LODS, excellent point MBB.

From the get-go the AFL seem to have treated the AFLW as an after thought and really didn't think through the comps development.

With so many clubs talent availability is spread very thin, impacting quality. And as for the idea of extracting (best?) players from established clubs... ::) The AFL might argue 'short term pain for long term gain'. Bullshizen. A more gradual introduction of new clubs should have followed the AFL's (flawed) model of simply giving new clubs access to draft priority picks.

Perhaps if you're a disadvantaged Melbourne based club you might be forced to consider mergers.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
At the moment, the AFLW players / player managers are playing a game of supply and demand, but to me it doesn't look sustainable and the game's authorities should be switched on to stopping the competition from shooting itself in the foot before it has reached sustainability.

However, to me the Admin look scared, scared of being labelled discriminatory, sexist, homophobic or even misogynist, so they have let the competition run wild like an out of control rich kiddies.

For the slightly more cynical amongst us, you might even be forgiven for now thinking the whole competition is now a pretty shallow attempt to harvest sponsorship dollars and political will from a minority sector. For example, would the redevelopment of our home ground have got the same support and go ahead from local and federal authorities without AFLW / VFLW involvement?

Our club has been proposing this sort of redevelopment for decades, and has been refused year after year and proposal after proposal, those refusals were one of the reasons we ended up at Docklands for so many games. But AFLW and VFLW get involved and it sails through unopposed, call me cynical if you like but the shift in wind direction stands out like balls on a bull!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26

They've made a rod for their own back with it too. If clubs never got a womens team, so be it.
Now they all have, try and take them away and see how that goes!

North Melbourne/Tasmanian Kangaroos will also have issues in the future if the AFLW want to copy the AFL with a dedicated standalone Tassie team...it shafts NM....or at least brings them back to the melbourne pack.

Similarly with Adelaide and the NT.....although i'm not sure if that bond still exists as it did in its inception.

Reply #27
It could raise an interesting situation down the track.

I think it's probably a fair bet that there will be no new expansion teams in Victoria.
If anything there may be a reduction of Victorian sides.
There may possibly be expansion sides in other states.

We may have a situation where an AFL team (club) goes to the wall....yet the AFLW side is extremely successful.
Does the AFLW side fold as well?

Reply #28
Harriet Cordner to Carlton, Nat Plane to the Aints.

Bit sad to see Nat go, as the kids say she was an OG.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
How and why did we miss out on Chiocci again?
The Force Awakens!