Skip to main content
Topic: List Changes towards 2023 (Read 5124 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: List Changes towards 2023

Reply #30
How and why did we miss out on Chiocci again?

She was drafted by Collingwood after our first pick with their second.  We picked Bianca Jacobson as our first draft pick in that draft.  We had our next pick 2 selections after she was gone, so its possible that we gambled on her still being there and lost.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #31
She was drafted by Collingwood after our first pick with their second.  We picked Bianca Jacobson as our first draft pick in that draft.  We had our next pick 2 selections after she was gone, so its possible that we gambled on her still being there and lost.
The Filth lowballed her on a new contract and the Aints offered a better deal so now she has gone from the Filth to the Aints!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Oh sorry, I misinterpreted your question.

I mistook it as a question of how we originally missed her.  The second time round is likely purely to do with AFL politics and the Saints girls being a destination club.  Ultimately, all any player wants to do is win a flag, and Carlton are not in the frame to do that right now.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Oh sorry, I misinterpreted your question.

I mistook it as a question of how we originally missed her.  The second time round is likely purely to do with AFL politics and the Saints girls being a destination club.  Ultimately, all any player wants to do is win a flag, and Carlton are not in the frame to do that right now.
We are closer than Saints are though!

They need experience and talent. Would've paid her better than what anyone else would've. Getting long in the tooth (for a footballer) is Steph.

Reply #34
We are closer than Saints are though!

They need experience and talent. Would've paid her better than what anyone else would've. Getting long in the tooth (for a footballer) is Steph.
I suspect the girls will play longer / older than men.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
I suspect the girls will play longer / older than men.

They do.

However, Steph is already 34.
How many players are over 34 playing AFL?
I'll answer for you, 3.

So nothing against her, but she's past her prime.

Reply #36
I think that too much is being read into this.

The Saints put a trade proposal to the Pies that was too good for them to refuse.  The Saints get some much needed if short term talent and the Pies get equally much needed young talent.

We were never a realistic destination for Steph … as romantic as that outcome would have been.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
Gibbs Out
Read In

Will be interesting, I though Gibbs gave us a bit of structure after some other tall departures, Read is a medium forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Gibbs Out
Read In

Will be interesting, I though Gibbs gave us a bit of structure after some other tall departures, Read is a medium forward.

I thought that Serena was going to be a ripper but she never realised her potential and has been left behind by our other key forward options (if they can stay on the park) and Jess Good resting forward.

Tahlia is more likely to have an impact and is a good mark for her size.

Serena will probably do OK with the Frockers ... but that's footy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
Gibbs Out
Read In

Will have to look up Read as cannot recall anything about her based on the name alone.

Gibbs reminded me of Jason McCartney and a few other 'types' that Terry Wallace (i think?) had a rather unflattering and non-pc label for.
Right size, right attributes, just a bit slow in body, mind and execution.....and thus output.

I think the recruitement of Kez's mate Jess Good was the final nail in the coffin for Gibbs as they play a similar role, but Good seems like more of a threat, even if she is more raw by comparison.

The story on the AFLW website shows Gibbs celebrating a goal in 2021, being congratulated by 2 other carlton girls.
None of which are playing for carlton in 2023 - Gee and Stevens, the other 2. Sigh.

Reply #40
The story on the AFLW website shows Gibbs celebrating a goal in 2021, being congratulated by 2 other carlton girls.
None of which are playing for carlton in 2023 - Gee and Stevens, the other 2. Sigh.
Yes, I just accept the club are extending some creative license to the AFLW spin at the moment, they rely on fans being ignorant of AFLW / VFLW players which is a bit sad.

Perhaps it's a bit of fun though, for the little ones to get excited about.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
I must admit, I was wholly unconvinced by Jess Good when we recruited her, but I gladly admit to being wrong about her as she looks better and better every game.
The Force Awakens!